Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Why Is Everywhere Listing Our 3rd Goal on Wednesday As Ricardo’s and not Ndidi’s?

13 minutes ago, Jordan said:

There’s nothing in the laws of the game and nothing in the EFL Handbook that give any guidance on how goals should be awarded to individual players. So, for anyone that’s 100% certain that it’s Ndidi’s goal: it’s probably a good idea to take that down a few percentage points. At this point, the EFL probably doesn’t consider this a big enough deal to review.

Well in that case, I scored it.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

There’s nothing in the laws of the game and nothing in the EFL Handbook that give any guidance on how goals should be awarded to individual players.

In which case, we would generally go with a consensus of convention, protocol and common sense.

In the case of a defender getting the last touch, the convention for most of the last 150 years has been that it's the attacker's goal.   A simple deflection never counted as an own goal.  The defender would have had to deliberately kick, knee, chest or head the ball into their own net.   That rule changed a few years ago, so that if it was originally off target, a deflection now counts as an own goal.   That's a relatively new change, and if that rule had been applied before ... then 1000's of goals would have been awarded as og's rather than striker's goals.

Obviously the issue of a deflection off one of your own attackers is a much rarer situation.  For the simple reason that attackers typically try to keep out of the way of a short, rather than defenders deliberately trying to get in the way of a shot.

But to me the "protocol" has generally followed the above pattern.   In that it's an attacker's goal if it's just an unintentional deflection of your own player's backside.   Whereas if your own player deliberately  kicks, knees, chests or heads the ball in ... then it goes down as their goal.   

(Obviously we then have the extra potential issue of "was it on target?".    In Pereira/Ndidi case, I don't think it's 100% clear if it's on/off target.    Whether the goalkeeper would've saved it or not is irrelevant - it's not used to decide "own goals", so I don't see why it should be any different here).

So let's apply some common sense.   Ricardo Pereira did the hard bit by kicking the ball, Ndidi doesn't do anything other than getting in the way.      It's Pereira's goal FFS!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

In which case, we would generally go with a consensus of convention, protocol and common sense.

In the case of a defender getting the last touch, the convention for most of the last 150 years has been that it's the attacker's goal.   A simple deflection never counted as an own goal.  The defender would have had to deliberately kick, knee, chest or head the ball into their own net.   That rule changed a few years ago, so that if it was originally off target, a deflection now counts as an own goal.   That's a relatively new change, and if that rule had been applied before ... then 1000's of goals would have been awarded as og's rather than striker's goals.

Obviously the issue of a deflection off one of your own attackers is a much rarer situation.  For the simple reason that attackers typically try to keep out of the way of a short, rather than defenders deliberately trying to get in the way of a shot.

But to me the "protocol" has generally followed the above pattern.   In that it's an attacker's goal if it's just an unintentional deflection of your own player's backside.   Whereas if your own player deliberately  kicks, knees, chests or heads the ball in ... then it goes down as their goal.   

(Obviously we then have the extra potential issue of "was it on target?".    In Pereira/Ndidi case, I don't think it's 100% clear if it's on/off target.    Whether the goalkeeper would've saved it or not is irrelevant - it's not used to decide "own goals", so I don't see why it should be any different here).

So let's apply some common sense.   Ricardo Pereira did the hard bit by kicking the ball, Ndidi doesn't do anything other than getting in the way.      It's Pereira's goal FFS!

Totally agreed with you...until your final paragraph lol

7 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Out of interest, and this is a genuine question, can we think of many other instances like this featuring a City player over the last few decades?

As I said earlier, it's very rare anyway, I genuinely can't think of any similar "incidents" from the last 50 years.   There must have been some though.

Deflected goals happen all the time. Deflected goals off a team-mate are rarer but not hugely uncommon. 

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Deflected goals happen all the time. Deflected goals off a team-mate are rarer but not hugely uncommon. 

Yeah, I know, that's what I said.    But I can't think of another example from the City in the last 50 years.   ie where the club have subsequently changed who they have credited with the initial goal  (which they have done here, in fairness, although they haven't yet changed the match report stats!)

*** Edited to say ***

It does raise the whole question of which stats you trust.   For most matches the "original" scorer is credited on all websites and in every match report.   Then subsequently a host club agrees to award it to someone else, but I suspect 99% of the original stats and reports don't get updated.   All very confusing!

Edited by worth_the_wait

40 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

lol what the hell is with all this ridiculous over analysing. Are people related to Ricardo in this thread?

It's Wilf's goal. No amount of incorrect stuff crediting it to him or payouts makes a difference. It's Wilf's goal. Wilf's.

Egg or the chicken..or the chicken or the egg..

Ricardo initiated the shot on target,Ndidi stood & cooly did. the Nigerian hip-knees twist..but hey ho,if he didn’t the GK could have saved it..

So with all the ifs,isn’t the GK at anytime the real GS,he initiates the move & shot..:scarf:

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Out of interest, and this is a genuine question, can we think of many other instances like this featuring a City player over the last few decades?

As I said earlier, it's very rare anyway, I genuinely can't think of any similar "incidents" from the last 50 years.   There must have been some though.

In our League One season Bruno Berner scored one was originally and that still is incorrectly credited to Mark Davis in some sources (club official stats and OFAF credit it correctly to Berner - you find descrepencies in both Berner’s and Davis’ stats from different sources for us because of this goal though) despite Davis being nowhere near that part of the pitch. Can’t find it now but if you find the YouTube highlights of the game the commentator even calls the goal scorer completely the wrong name/.

edit: found it

Edited by Sampson

Not quite the same as here, but a "famous" incident was at Filbert St v Aston Villa 1975-76.

Chris Nicholl for Villa scored 2 goals and 2 own goals in a 2-2 draw, and equalled a feat of scoring all 4 goals in a 2-2 only once done before.

It's been reported that way ever since.

But LCFC subsequently awarded one of our goals to Brian Alderson, which my m8 said was bonkers as it was going nearer to the corner flag than the goal!

So i don't know what the "official" version is of that game.  Even if there is one?

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

In our League One season Bruno Berner scored one was originally and that still is incorrectly credited to Mark Davis in some sources (club official stats and OFAF credit it correctly to Berner - you find descrepencies in both Berner’s and Davis’ stats from different sources for us because of this goal though) despite Davis being nowhere near that part of the pitch. Can’t find it now but if you find the YouTube highlights of the game the commentator even calls the goal scorer completely the wrong name/.

edit: found it

How would there even be any doubt who scored that?????

5 hours ago, Jordan said:

There’s nothing in the laws of the game and nothing in the EFL Handbook that give any guidance on how goals should be awarded to individual players. So, for anyone that’s 100% certain that it’s Ndidi’s goal: it’s probably a good idea to take that down a few percentage points. At this point, the EFL probably doesn’t consider this a big enough deal to review.

I don't get this "there's nothing in the laws of the game how goals should be awarded". Does this mean they can award the goal to me? I was shouting from the beginning of this goal to 3 players of our team how to move and pass the ball. I also screamed "freeeee kebabs" when the ball went into the box, this is why you can clearly see in the video six Millwall players suddenly standing still after being shocked by my announcement. 

45 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

How would there even be any doubt who scored that?????

I have always assumed someone must have misread the team sheet/squad list when they saw it was scored by number 31 and misread Bruno Berner who was our 31 that season as Mark Davis who was 33 so probably the line below. 

Soccerbase here for example *still* lists it as Davis’ goal

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=41883&season_id=138