Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

A Story For Christmas Featuring Barrie Pierpoint and Shane MacGowan

Fantastic. 

I had wondered whether Barrie and Albert were related as Pierrepoint is such a unusual name, but then noticed the spelling difference and thought no more of it. 

Think this is the house on Kitchener Road. Hasn't changed much. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5e2e05adaebb01a44b4a6dbf63690f73.jpeg

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

Did the boys of the NYPD Choir really sing Galway Bay? I won't bother buying any of their albums then. 

Don't think that I've ever heard that song before, only the mention in Fairytale of New York. And certainly didn't know the connection to Leicester. 

Great story, I enjoyed that. 

• Thanks 1

You probably know that there used to be a full Football League programme on Christmas Day. Leicester City's last ever fixture on December 25th was in 1957 - we lost 5-1 at Blackpool, with 42 year-old Stanley Matthews running riot on the right wing.

Guess who was born on that very day.

This fellow:

shane.png

• Like 2

Very interesting . I assumed Galway Bay was way older than that . The Pierrepoint/ Pierpoint connection was also a surprise although neither were people you’d want at a dinner party ☹️. Apparently the hangman’s services were much in demand after the trials at the end of the war , dispatching a number of Nazi war criminals 

• Like 1

Let's not forget Kirsty MacColl. 

Just like Roly Colahan, she was tragically killed in a boating accident, though the details were very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsty_MacColl#Death

I hadn't realised that shortly before that accident, she'd written a song called 'England 2 Colombia 0', using that World Cup game in 1998 as a way to tell another story about unreliable blokes.

When 'Fairytale Of New York' first entered the charts in December 1987 and made its bid for Christmas Number One, events at Filbert Street were providing an amusing counterpoint. 

On the weekend of December 5th / 6th,  the single shot up from number 40 to number 19, with Shane McGowan singing this:

Got on a lucky one

Came in eighteen to one

I've got a feeling

This year's for me and you

So Happy Christmas

I love you baby

I can see a better time

When all our dreams come true

That weekend, Leicester City drew 0-0 at home to Middlesbrough, a result that left us 15th in Division Two, with just 23 points from 21 games. Our manager was Bryan Hamilton, another Irishman. His team may have been in the gutter, but like Shane, he was looking at the stars. He told the Mercury's Bill Anderson:

We can still get promotion

If we put a run together we can still go up

I saw enough positive signs to be optimistic   

Sadly, Terry Shipman, playing the Kirsty MacColl role, decided to pour cold water all over Hamilton's delusions. On the Thursday after that Boro game, the Leicester chairman called him and asked if they could sit down and have a chat about the club's plight.

The next day, news broke that Hamilton had been sacked.

The following weekend, with caretaker boss Peter Morris in charge, we lost 2-0 at Oldham, and 'Fairytale of New York' climbed to number eight.

As speculation grew about who our new boss would be, we faced a blank weekend on December 19th, a consequence of the Second Division that season having an odd number of teams - twenty three. Meanwhile, Shane and Kirsty's song shot up from number eight to number two - just missing the Christmas Number One (beaten by The Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind).

"It was Christmas Eve, babe..."

On December 24th, the story reached its conclusion - Terry Shipman stood in front of the Filbert Street Christmas tree with our new man:

pleat.png

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

One final thing to say on this story, and it takes us almost back to the start. Not to Barrie Pierpoint, the man we left standing in a field in Aylestone, but his nemesis.

In Galway Bay, the song Dr. Colahan wrote in Leicester,  you find these words:

The winds that blow across the bogs from  Ireland
Are perfumed by the heather as they blow
And the menfolk in the uplands digging praties
Speak a language that the English do not know.

And yet they come and try to teach us their ways
They blame us just for being what we are
But they might as well go chasing after moonbeams
Or light a penny candle from a star.

When the song  became a hit for Bing Crosby, those lyrics were changed to take away the political edge  - it was not 'the English' who came to teach us their ways, but a more ambiguous 'the strangers'. 

You can't hear those original lyrics without thinking of a struggle that raged in Ireland throughout much of the twentieth century - the struggle to fight off the influence of Association Football. The English really did 'come and teach us their ways' - introducing the game in Ireland as they did around the world. But nowhere was that influence resisted more than in Ireland. Association football was seen as a symbol of oppression, and people who took part, even as spectators, were banned from particiapting in Gaelic football, under the famous 'Rule 27' of the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association). This presented a serious dilemma for those who enjoyed both codes. 

Two of the most successful managers in Leicester's history were impacted by this dilemma, in very different ways.

Frank O'Farrell, the man who took us to promotion in 1971 before being headhunted by Manchester United, was brought up in Cork, and he knew that when he turned out for his local soccer team, he risked being ostracised by the other sport he loved. Fortunately for him, the GAA in Cork turned a blind eye.

Things were different in Belfast.

Martin O'Neill excelled at both sports - and he was aware that if he kept turning out for Distillery FC  in the Irish League he risked upsetting his Gaelic football team, St. Malachy's College, holders of the Ulster GAA crown.

Martin's case became something a sensation in Ulster in 1971. In the end, a crucial semi-final for St. Malachy's was switched from the famous Casement Park in Belfast to Omagh, 70 miles away, because the Antrim GAA, in control of Casement Park, would not countenance an appearance on the ground by the man who was creating so many headlines (and attracting so many English scouts) with his fine performances for Distillery.

Shortly after that, two things happened. O'Neill left Ireland - signed by Matt Gillies for Nottingham Forest. And Rule 27 was finally done away with. It's ancient history now. Casement Park, the ground that was named after the Irish revolutionary executed for his role in the Easter Uprising of 1916, has now been selected as one of the venues for Euro 2028.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this story has become a bit like an Advent Calendar, with a new perspective to open up every day.  

It's surprising that it's so difficult to find details of this tale elsewehere. You often read that Dr.Colahan was from Leicester, but it's very rare to find mention of his role in capital trials, or the circumstances of Roly's death.

Roly's fellow sailor that day, who tried to save his life, was called Oswald Fisher. I posted a brief excerpt above from the article in the Galway Express in which he told what happened on Lough Corrib. Oswald was actually the son of the paper's editor, so the story was told, and published, in some detail. It's worth posting the whole thing:

galway-1.png

galway-2.png

galway-3.png

galway-4.png

galway-5.png

galway-6-a.png

galway-7.png

galway-8a.png

Edited by kushiro

And the final word goes to Barrie Pierpoint, whose father was so keen to distance himself from the UK's most famous executioner.

Despite being in the news so much in the 1990s, Barrie does not have his own wikipedia page. 

I tried to Google 'Barrie Pierpoint wikipedia', and guess what the the first result was:

bar.png

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Haha 2