Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Rotherham Home

the two goalies on the bench thing is indefensible unless it's to avoid a massive payment to Ward for not being in matchday squads or something. Even putting Wormleighton, Briggs or Popov on the bench would be preferable to an unneeded 3rd goalie. if you imagine 2 strikers going down with injury early in the game then a striker, even a 19yo rookie would be preferable to no option on the bench. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FosseSpark said:

the two goalies on the bench thing is indefensible unless it's to avoid a massive payment to Ward for not being in matchday squads or something. Even putting Wormleighton, Briggs or Popov on the bench would be preferable to an unneeded 3rd goalie. if you imagine 2 strikers going down with injury early in the game then a striker, even a 19yo rookie would be preferable to no option on the bench. 

It's worse than that though. What kind of message does it send out to young players that they're overlooked for someone who clearly has no future at the Club.

Even worse is that they're not even an outfied player.

One of the best ways to attract good young talent to the Club is to show them that theres a clear path to the first team if they're good enough.

That's clearly not the case presently and is bad policy and needs to change.

• Like 1

The 2 goalkeepers on the bench thing is not right and I thought he'd stopped doing it but here we are again. He did it before in August and he's doing it again near the next window so it can't be anything other than a message to the board.

Like others have rightly said though, it gives a massive lack of incentive to youth players and could quite easily come back to haunt him in a game with a couple of injuries.

It's something Pep has done a few times at Man City too so it's definitely Maresca's choice and nothing to do with any clauses. 

Edited by Gamble92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooksy said:

You can get 20/1 at some bookies for a Rotherham win. That's absolutely mental.

It is really.

The 3 games in 6 days over the Christmas period could throw up a few unlikely results. For example, we could rotate for Rotherham with the Ipswich game so close afterwards in mind. 

Fortunately, all teams are in the same position in being forced to rotate, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t one or two strange results. Leicester v Rotherham in a top v bottom clash is an ideal candidate (for a weird result) and it’s definitely another banana skin to navigate when you combine it with the schedule 

• Like 1

Do we think the two goalkeepers is a message to the board in terms of signings or a question of squad morale? Maybe jettisoning Ward to the reserves is a look that EM doesn’t want because Ward is a ‘good bloke to have around the dressing room’ (although I dislike the phrase)?

I’m only speculating, of course, and I’m just as frustrated as others not to see another outfield player given the opportunity. Surely a bench slot in a match day squad is a significant milestone in a young player’s development? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

Do we think the two goalkeepers is a message to the board in terms of signings or a question of squad morale? Maybe jettisoning Ward to the reserves is a look that EM doesn’t want because Ward is a ‘good bloke to have around the dressing room’ (although I dislike the phrase)?

I’m only speculating, of course, and I’m just as frustrated as others not to see another outfield player given the opportunity. Surely a bench slot in a match day squad is a significant milestone in a young player’s development? 

Yes.

11 hours ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Rest below for this.. all one booking away from suspension so at risk of missing game vs the tractors

Vesty - 9 bookings

kdh - 4 bookings

mavididi - 4

Fatawu - 4

Isn’t it only 5 bookings in the first 19 games that brings a ban? So only Vesty in any danger.

10 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

I wonder if there is any truth in this?  Ward was originally signed as Kasper's understudy and maybe there is something in his contract that he must be in the matchday squad.

Imagine how embarrassing it would be that you are contractually obliged to be selected but you are so bad that the manager has to pick another goalkeeper to ensure that you never actually get onto the pitch.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

It is really.

The 3 games in 6 days over the Christmas period could throw up a few unlikely results. For example, we could rotate for Rotherham with the Ipswich game so close afterwards in mind. 

Fortunately, all teams are in the same position in being forced to rotate, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t one or two strange results. Leicester v Rotherham in a top v bottom clash is an ideal candidate (for a weird result) and it’s definitely another banana skin to navigate when you combine it with the schedule 

Also, we've actually been pretty poor when we've rotated quite heavily. There were a few changes for that midweek game against Sheffield Wednesday, and we were absolutely awful that night.

10 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

Unless Enzo has secretly been retraining him as a trequartista who will rip-up the Champ in the second half of the season.*

*still more likely than him becoming a reliable keeper

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

It is really.

I think you’re emphasising the point of how crazy them odds are.

20/1 is massive, that’s the bookies saying they have no chance. I think he was suggesting the bookies are crazy for the reasons you’ve just stated. 

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

My thoughts exactly, Ward is a likeable character just not the best Keeper.