Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Birmingham City (A) 2-3 Leicester - Post-Match Thread

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

I have no problem with Mavididi’s celebration. It was obviously the Kudus celebration. Besides, all he did was just sit there and look cocky—he didn’t say anything or make any other provocative gesture.

KDH teased the fans after his goal but he didn’t get singled out by the manager.

The only thing unsportsmanlike from Mavididi’s performance was diving to try to win a penalty late in the 1st half.

I have to say I agree. If sitting with crossed arms looking smug at the home crowd is 'incendiary' and results in a caution then the spectators have far worse problems and complete lack of self-awareness.

KDH's goal celebration was arguably worse. Fatawu jumped over the fence with Mavididi and joined in too.

Watkins was far worse, against his former team no less, did he get a booking?

Vardy habitually provokes the opposition.

If Mavididi only got it for climbing on the hoardings, then Fatawu should have had one too.

If it was for unsportsmanlike behaviour then KDH and Watkins should have had one too.

Watkins was defended by clubs and media, Mavididi got pelters by pundits, journos and his own manager. I don't really understand where the consistency is here.

And where do you draw the line? Fair enough of you make obscene, demeaning/racist or political gestures etc, but Mavididi did no worse than what Thierry Henry would do.

• Like 3

On 18/12/2023 at 23:23, Les-TA-Jon said:

Regardless of whether you think it’s a red “for you” or not, I find it hard to believe that the current PL VAR system looks at this and agrees with “no foul” 

IMG_7096.jpeg

The ball only bounced up like this because of the players really bad touch and then Don’t try and shield a ball using your knee lad. Fatawu needs to be smarter if he’s with us in the prem however because although common sense says he went for the ball and in control of his body VAR will show this exact clip to the ref and get him a red.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

Also stupid getting booked after 10 minutes. 

Couldn't care... 

Player was showing his emotion.. 

Refs  ignore it one week, jump on it the next... 

Hey Enzo!!  What was you doing when you  you jumped and coaching staff spilled a couple of yards onto the pitch, an Orgie of LcFC staff showing emotion. 

Why oh why, must football participants hold back, where other sports welcome

Long hard celebrations.. Which funtionaire & fans bellends give preferable credence to these fat, opulant louts 40-50 year old neanderthals... Time we protected our sportsman /Women whole "reason" and not chastise them, when celebrating.. 

What a sick, sick world... Long jumper A, 100 Meter Läufer B, ICE hockey team, can celebrate how they choose, Rugby players friendly exchange & banter, with OPPO fans sometimes close to the cuff, all gestures mostly ridden..!! 

But not football... Instead of throwing these idiots out, we chastise the player, and NO he shouldn't know better... 

Mavididi... that's his name..!! 

But Fans are allowed to mis-hear or Mis-spell.... Sometimes even the local commentators or social media can't get it right, and some fans pick up on it believing that it is correct. Even forums

From within Club get names totally wrong.. At first I went on the lads nations Wikipedia, and for a short time, they had spelt it Mav(a)di.. So it stook. 

THEN later I went through the new squad and chased correct spellings.. 

But I am fuchsntf and my spell check, has a lazy hand.. 

For me..

HE can celebrate how the hell he likes..

Football & society in general  first still have to get their own acts together in addressing their own various  yob society..!! 

Besides... WHAT  KING GREAT GOAL THAT WAS... 

19 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

It's a silly booking though and unnecessary. Maresca would have been fuming had he got a second yellow for simulation. It also means he's walking a tightrope for 80 minutes. Silly bookings may mean that he accumulates 10 bookings and receives a 2 match ban. We don't need our best players missing two games through avoidable bookings. I'm all for celebrating a goal, but do it inside the rules. I get a last minute winner sometimes see emotions run wild, but I don't think an over the top celebration after 10 minutes is that bright. 

It's about control if you put yourself in that position and to win 6 tackles after he got booked shows he has it. 

45 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

It's about control if you put yourself in that position and to win 6 tackles after he got booked shows he has it. 

Yes I agree to a certain extent, but does that control mean he is treading on egg shells for 80 minutes (he could have got a second yellow for simulation). For me it's an unnecessary booking - like I said if he gets a 2 game ban further down the line and 3 or 4 of those bookings are for avoidable, silly errors of judgement then as a manager I'd be furious. I just don't see celebrating a goal in that manner after 10 minutes, getting booked for it, is overly sensible. Notice how Vardy celebrates, completely winds up the opposing fans, yet I can't remember him getting booked for it. Just my opinion.   

Edited by MGLCFC

On 20/12/2023 at 12:53, MGLCFC said:

It's a silly booking though and unnecessary. Maresca would have been fuming had he got a second yellow for simulation. It also means he's walking a tightrope for 80 minutes. Silly bookings may mean that he accumulates 10 bookings and receives a 2 match ban. We don't need our best players missing two games through avoidable bookings. I'm all for celebrating a goal, but do it inside the rules. I get a last minute winner sometimes see emotions run wild, but I don't think an over the top celebration after 10 minutes is that bright. 

But it's not consistent, is it? As pointed out above, if Mav got a booking, then Fatawu, KDH and Watkins (in the Brentford-Villa game) should also have had one. 
And it really was nothing over the top at all. We see worse celebrations on a weekly basis all over the country, so why is he being singled out?

1 hour ago, shen said:

But it's not consistent, is it? As pointed out above, if Mav got a booking, then Fatawu, KDH and Watkins (in the Brentford-Villa game) should also have had one. 
And it really was nothing over the top at all. We see worse celebrations on a weekly basis all over the country, so why is he being singled out?

The rule is you shouldn't cross the hoardings so in that respect he has self inflicted the punishment of a yellow card upon himself. I agree about the lack of consistency regarding booking others for the same offence, but I don't accept your point that it was nothing over the top. Celebrating with your own fans is one thing, antagonising the opposing fans by going into their stand is not that smart, a point Enzo appears to concur with. I don't think that sort of celebration from an away player would go down that well in L1?

Edited by MGLCFC

5 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

The rule is you shouldn't cross the hoardings so in that respect he has self inflicted the punishment of a yellow card upon himself. I agree about the lack of consistency regarding booking others for the same offence, but I don't accept your point that it was nothing over the top. Celebrating with your own fans is one thing, antagonising the opposing fans by going into their stand is not that smart, a point Enzo appears to concur with. 

Yes it was an error in judgement, but could have been dealt with a bit better by the Ref, (who wasnt great to be honest), a quiete word with Mav, and both Team Captains would have been sufficient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

The rule is you shouldn't cross the hoardings so in that respect he has self inflicted the punishment of a yellow card upon himself. I agree about the lack of consistency regarding booking others for the same offence, but I don't accept your point that it was nothing over the top. Celebrating with your own fans is one thing, antagonising the opposing fans by going into their stand is not that smart, a point Enzo appears to concur with. I don't think that sort of celebration from an away player would go down that well in L1?

So he could have literally stood pitchside leaning on the hoardings and not received a booking?

Seems very arbitrary when he was sat on the hoardings.

Also, how often don't players jump over the hoardings to celebrate with their own fans?

Look, I don't really buy into the 'banter' of football, which largely consists of abuse under the guise of being 'playful'. Taken into context, I still maintain Mav's celebration is on the lighter side and would not have gotten any attention a season or two ago.

With football being more and more neutered on the field, it feels bizarre that fans criticise players for showing emotion or interacting with the crowd.

As Watkins alluded to, it's also double standards to 'allow' fans the freedom of provocation but not the players.

4 hours ago, shen said:

You don’t see players sitting 3 feet away from the opposition fans every week. KDH was not in front of their faces, so not as provocative as Mavididi. 

I enjoyed the celebration, but at some grounds he’s getting a punch in the face for that! 

13 minutes ago, shen said:

So he could have literally stood pitchside leaning on the hoardings and not received a booking?

Seems very arbitrary when he was sat on the hoardings.

Also, how often don't players jump over the hoardings to celebrate with their own fans?

Look, I don't really buy into the 'banter' of football, which largely consists of abuse under the guise of being 'playful'. Taken into context, I still maintain Mav's celebration is on the lighter side and would not have gotten any attention a season or two ago.

With football being more and more neutered on the field, it feels bizarre that fans criticise players for showing emotion or interacting with the crowd.

As Watkins alluded to, it's also double standards to 'allow' fans the freedom of provocation but not the players.

You could say taking your shirt off in celebration is non offensive, but everyone knows it's a bookable offence (as is being on the wrong side of hoardings). I'm not trying to be awkward here, just pointing out that had an away player done that in front of L1 I think the reaction from our fans wouldn't have been 'Ah the lads only celebrating a goal'. I think we disagree on the Mav's celebration which is fine as we are all entitled to differing opinions - I suppose what I'm alluding to more than anything, it's an unnecessary booking and I can understand why Maresca was less than pleased.

I did like the celebration but it was naughty and on another day the reaction could have been a lot worse, I mean, he climbed into their stand sat on the board and stared them out lol no wonder he got a yellow, I’m only assuming the ref didn’t spot Abdul had done it either otherwise he’d surely have had a yellow too. 

Mad Mav. lol 

I  like the fact our forwards' confidence is starting to border on arrogance, even away from home. When they first came, the arrogance wasn't so evident. 

Mavididi's best quality, aside from his touch, pace and goalscoring knack is that he's a hard bastard. he doesn't get done in 50/50's and he gets riled if pressurised, similar in someways to Saka, who doesn't often get pushed off the ball. You can't teach that, it's in him and it will mean he's useful even when we are getting dominated. Perhaps it will be even more useful when we are in the prem and he's providing cover for his fullback before having to burst forward. 

Fair ****s to him. he's making the most of his chance back in the english leagues. 

Edited by FosseSpark
  • Like 2