Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

5 minutes ago, shen said:

Yes it was a pen. Tough luck for us.

Harness' first yellow was very soft which maybe balances it out a bit.

But those two decision along with the equaliser definitely shows they were fortunate.

I really don't think they could've complained if that finished 1-0, despite McKenna's biased post match comments.

I mean, yes it was soft. Which is why it’s so inconsistent that the second one was let slide. Is what it is though. Cannot wait to get out of this shite league.

We made them look bang average, which most teams in comparison to us, are. 

We do seem to not do a good job of soaking pressure up late in games with a one goal margin and that does concern me. We didn't really keep the ball well enough, and if the opposition score it's usually from a set piece or a bounce around/deflection goal. Similar at Sheff Wed and Wba. 

It would help if we start putting games away. Although I wouldn't say any clear chances were missed yesterday aside from perhaps the Daka one when he ran in on goal, the last ball is lacking and often goes astray. 

A second goal would have meant no comeback from them whatsoever.

I really hope we show what we really are about when we play them at home again relatively quickly next month and batter then lol

Annoying it ended in a draw but probably would have took that before the game.

Thought we were ok in the first half, second was a drag, pretty poor - however during the second half I was fully committed to coming on here after the game and saying I never felt worried we’d concede or not win.

How wrong I was, complacency by myself and the same can be said of those who can do something about it, the players and management.

I questioned team selection on Saturday saying I’d have made the changes for that game in order to play a stronger team last night - hindsight says that would have been the way to go. I’m also ruing substitutions last night.

But we use last night to learn as we did with our losses so far this season and the international breaks where we’ve always come back better and stronger.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

I mean, yes it was soft. Which is why it’s so inconsistent that the second one was let slide. Is what it is though. Cannot wait to get out of this shite league.

The ref was letting the game flow reasonably well first half, but then cracked down excessively at the beginning of the second only to completely refrain from any decision from the Harness decision onwards. 

Very bizarre and inconsistent refereeing performance, which understandably frustrated both teams.

• Like 1

Importantly we didn’t lose, this was on paper our toughest test of the season so far. We were sloppy and a long way off our best however it was critical we didn’t lose this game and despite being below par we have come out unscathed. Should have had a penalty and they should have had a red card, either or both of those decisions go our way we win comfortably. 

As for the subs, yes it definitely impacted our flow but I imagine there will have been made with an eye on workloads and with input from sports science team, before we slate Enzo remember the flak Rodgers received for flogging players into long term injuries. Imagine if KDH had stayed on and ended up with a serious injury. 

of course it was disappointing to drop points to such a late equaliser but it isn’t the end of the world and in context of the season it’s an excellent point and keeps the unbeaten run going. Move onto Cardiff and hopefully continue to pick up results. 17 points from 21 since the last international break and given it includes the  hectic December period is insanely good. Bedwetters chill out. 

However I do need to call out Iheanacho who was absolutely appalling, that was a disgraceful cameo from him lacked any level of intensity and we lost any attacking threat. 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Actually thought one big difference yesterday contributed to the late goal.

We pressed like absolute maniacs all game, intensity was higher than i've ever seen it, clearly something Enzo felt was needed against Ipswich tactics. But what it meant was that instead of us having our usual big energy last 15, we were shattered.

I do think bringing JJ on and Hamza would have made a massive difference. Subs is my absolute one and only gripe about Enzo so far (hey we've got to be allowed one :P), I hope it's something he acknowledges is causing issues.

I agree that the obvious subs (to defend 1-0) were Hamza and Justin. As he made them I was trying to fathom why he chose Akgun and Nacho instead and it was clear that he felt the best way to defend was to attack.

There’s lots of criticism in this thread (that I disagree with) for us not killing games off… I think that’s exactly what Enzo was trying to do bringing on such attacking subs. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Actually thought one big difference yesterday contributed to the late goal.

We pressed like absolute maniacs all game, intensity was higher than i've ever seen it, clearly something Enzo felt was needed against Ipswich tactics. But what it meant was that instead of us having our usual big energy last 15, we were shattered.

I do think bringing JJ on and Hamza would have made a massive difference. Subs is my absolute one and only gripe about Enzo so far (hey we've got to be allowed one :P), I hope it's something he acknowledges is causing issues.

It was right out of the book of 'Greatest Brendan Rodgers Substitutions of all time ' manual.

... shocking beyond belief!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But lost 2 points in our gap to 3rd... 

We shouldn't be looking at Leeds anymore imo, they'll finish below Southampton.

We shouldn't really be looking at anyone. We're setting a crazy pace at the front. Even with Saints and Leeds in great form, we've got nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

It’s 2 from 4 for promotion now and when we drop points there will always be one of the other three who gains on us as we are all simply too consistent. 

As ourselves and Ipswich were playing each other we both dropped points. It would be extremely unlikely that both Saints and Leeds wouldn’t gain in that situation so we can be happy that only Southampton did. 

Our lead means we only have to be as consistent as the other 3 now and pick up points when they inevitably stumble. Currently I can only think that AFCON or significant injuries are the things that would make our form slip enough for two of the others to overtake 

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It was a clear pen, but its one of them defenders often get away with because the ref struggles to get a good view and I'm not convinced VAR changes the on-field decision either to be honest, as we know it likes to stick with on field decision as much as possible. 

Lino should intervene in this scenario. 

• Like 1

I thought the decision to bring Cesare in was an attacking move with an eye on getting a second. He's often involved in chance creation even if it doesn't always work out. In hindsight, yes, Hamza would have been the better move.

I broadly agree with the other observations. Iheanacho didn't do enough and the subs generally didn't help. Fatawu wasn't nearly as effective as Mavididi. Wilf was more jaded than usual. The defence largely did its job, with Faes rightly singled out for some great interventions (though it's worth adding that his positioning allowed them a lot of room down that flank, and in spite of inviting them to attack us down the right he didn't always get close enough to put pressure on the delivery). Hermansen, I'd agree, wasn't up to standard in his delivery.

I thought 1-1 was fair and, on paper, a good result. But if people are saying we have nothing to worry about I'd have to disagree. Firstly, because there's always something to improve on, and secondly because the number of goals we let in late on tells you pretty much what that is. If we want it to be plain sailing, we have to get better at seeing games out. Personally I'd favour leaving two men in more offensive positions when sides are pressing our build-up and occasionally pick out that direct outlet, as we have in fairness shown a greater willingness to do of late. It'd at very least reduce the number of players that they could commit to the press, and give us a better solution than playing through a mesh of players and finally panicking, surrendering possession in a dangerous area. The commentator kept saying how Enzo doesn't like counters because he doesn't like chaos - but I have a feeling that he's going to have to embrace it a tad more often as time goes by.

But I'm sure someone on here can explain why I'm wrong!

Played well until poor sub choices helped Ipswich have the edge towards the end.

Should have been out of sight really as good opportunities were missed and we should have had a penalty. 

Watched it in a bar in fuengirola so need to see the penalty incident again as I had a few to many.

I'm never drinking Red Bull and vodka again🤢😄

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But lost 2 points in our gap to 3rd... 

We shouldn't be looking at Leeds anymore imo, they'll finish below Southampton.

Yet still 3 points better off from than third than we were a month ago. Even with Saints good run in that time we were 9 above them but now 11.

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

It was not a handball. It did not touch his hand - the ball went on to his chest

If you read a few comments down you would have saw that I clarified it to be a cheeky dig at VAR because everyone soiled their undies and my sarcasm didn't come through in the post. 

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

If you read a few comments down you would have saw that I clarified it to be a cheeky dig at VAR because everyone soiled their undies and my sarcasm didn't come through in the post. 

As you are well aware, match threads, be they during the match or after are no place for frivolity. They are reserved for the sole purpose of recriminations and/or overreactions.

• Haha 1