Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

5 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

What does Yunus offer btw?

loads of posters were saying earlier in the season that he was a great player 

never saw it at the time and still don’t 

a little unfair that he’s being asked to play as an eight rather than his wide position but he just doesn’t have the strength for English football 

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

Guess you must love this result then.

Wrong decision. Wrong result. Hopefully the 2 pts doesn't end up mattering in the end.

Arguably Fatawu could have been sent off against Birmingham had there have been VAR. Shit happens. 2pt dropped mainly due to a fluke of a goal and the fact we let them back into the game second half by taking our foot off the gas. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Robbed of a stonewall penalty. Casadei is an anti footballer, no idea of position and game flow - just appalling. We lost control of the game because our midfield disappeared. Nacho was just Nacho - not worth his place on the pitch. Still, no real damage done. We move on. 

Thinks that’s a massive thing with Casadei we lost all control of the game cause he’s doesn’t know how to hold his position the amount of times they were getting pockets of space when he came on then they built off the momentum from it

8 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

What a load of crap that was. Not even close to an acceptable performance. Standards need to be considerably higher if we’re going to kick on next season, Ipswich were crap. We should be beating these teams comfortably, we had no control. What a shambles.

We fully controlled the game until the last half hour

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Next time people talk about how much they love not having VAR, remember this game. 

It’s pretty fresh in my mind right now to be honest, and I still don’t want to go back to it.

It’s part of the game and always has been - you take the rough with the smooth.

• Sad 1

Annoying end to the game, spawny equaliser, but felt in the end we were lucky to come away with a point.

Need to start finishing games off in the first half, could've done that today. Seem to too often keep it too tight and given opportunities away.

Felt for once, Enzo got it wrong today with the subs. Hopefully bounce back against Cardiff.. 

Overall, disappointed because I felt we could done these in the first 45, but pre match I'd have taken a point away to 2nd so it's not terrible

It's not a bad point, and I love what Enzo is doing here, but I have to say, I hated those subs.

Daka, KDH and N'didi are our fittest players. They're the spine of our press. We removed it and replaced those players with slow, technical players in Iheanacho, Akgun and Casadei. 

Almost immediately what happened is they had more time on the ball bringing it out and runners weren't being tracked. We looked like sitting ducks. 

I said they will score here, so it was no surprise when they did. 

When you're 1-0 up away from home you do one of, or a combination of the following:

1 - Bring on pacey players up top to gain territory in the space the chasing team leaves in behind

2 - Bring on midfield legs to ensure the chasing team doesn't have time to settle and sustain attacks

I'm one of the people most vocal in my support of the Enzo way of playing. I was never concerned about any of the perceived slow buildup play or 'boring football'. But these subs? It's not the first time we've looked dodgy closing a game out. 

First red flag for me. Here's hoping he learns.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Defence began to look v.tired. Hamza would have been the better choice.

Subbing KDH was a poor decision. Subbing Wilf not much better - his ball stealing ability would have dented the Ipswich moves.

Piss poor goal for Ipswich - but they looked dangerous throughout the second. Better substitutions essential.

• Like 3

Guest Kopfkino

We’ve been outshot 19-5, xG of 1.05-0.28, had fewer touches in the box, fewer passes in the opposition half, many fewer passes in the final 3rd and we’ve got people saying they were lucky.

We were dogshit and had no solutions. Should have had a penalty from the only bit of incisive play we had second half and a point is absolutely fine but how anyone can say we were lucky or anything but shit is bizarre.

We’re too good for the division overall, I knew that’d be the case at the final whistle against West Ham but I’ve seen very little from us that gives me any confidence we’re not coming straight back without a blinder of a summer. If we played Southampton now I think it would be a different story and it’s the only time we’ve played well against the current top 6.

Edited by Kopfkino

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

They had 16 shots!!... that's not being in control .  Taking both Wilf and KDH off cost us the win.  Rodgers would have been proud of those decisions!

They may have had 19 shots, but they didn’t trouble our keeper much - just the 3 on target.

In terms of serious chances, I recall the free header from the corner… and the guy falling over in front of Ricardo.

There wasn’t much else, but equally we didn’t create much second half either, bar the penalty shout.

If we take the positives - that’s a point away from home against 2nd and despite being well clear past the halfway stage, we’ve got areas that can still be improved on going forward.

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

So just 4 games from 24 this season where we have had a possible problem seeing it out?

Only 2 games where we have dropped points from winning positions

Lets not act like this has been a problem going on all season

No killer instinct to take chances and put the game to bed, plus subs that invite pressure on to us is a problem.

Yeah, we should've had a penalty, but we should've been at least 2 up at that point.

We should have walked that, but the subs swung the momentum.

Ipswich celebrating that like a win and Southampton relentless.

3 points there and killing the game off would have been a statement win.

From this position, we SHOULD go up, but we need to be more ruthless and manage the final 20 minutes of games so much better.

• Like 1

Just now, gerblod said:

Defence began to look v.tired. Hamza would have been the better choice.

Subbing KDH was a poor decision. Subbing Wilf not much better - his ball stealing ability would have dented the Ipswich moves.

Piss poor goal for Ipswich - but they looked dangerous throughout the second. Better substitutions essential.

Unfortunately you can't run them into the ground.