Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

I've not read a single post because I don't want to conform or be put off by those posters that jump on others' negativity. But I was really frustrated with us tonight. Clearly the more capable side, but as is often the case, almost seemed desperate to make a game of it, rather than just put it to bed. We are too good for this league but we play such casual and careless football at times and the thought of playing like this in the PL next year is scary. We'll get hit for 4 or 5 once a month wothout question.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Back 3 weren't really the problem tonight but in the last half I did notice Vestergaard getting dragged into midfield by Chaplin and they were able to play around him a couple of times. Needed someone in front of him. Winks and Ricardo were almost playing the same right hand side position at times. 

I thought they played well. They don’t have the individual technique some of our players have but I felt they were tactically spot on at times.

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'll take getting promoted with 5 games left rather than 6 than having that plague on the sport.

Much prefer not having VAR.. not many games this season where it would've been useful.

Pen today would've been given.. the second yellow wouldn't have got involved anyway would they

Fats would've been sent off the other week.

Other than that not many times it would have been useful to the game

VAR causes more problems because the decisions they make aren't clear or obvious. Half the offsides n onsides never look right.

I agree.. its a plague

• Sad 1

Guest Kopfkino
32 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

See this is very misleading and the problem with cumulative xG totals. That averages out to 0.06 xG/Shot for them and us, same overall quality of chance created. They created more chances because they were chasing the game for 70 minutes but they didn't create better chances

Right fine but even on that they’ve had 3 shots with a higher xG than anything we had. As I say above game state has an effect on that

But again really it was really pushing back against anyone that thought they were lucky. I think that’s grossly wrong cos I loved reading all the posts on here about how we weren’t unlucky against Hull in similar circumstances…

If people don’t think we were pretty poor like I do fine, but I can’t be having that they were lucky. 

2 minutes ago, sdb said:

I've not read a single post because I don't want to conform or be put off by those posters that jump on others' negativity. But I was really frustrated with us tonight. Clearly the more capable side, but as is often the case, almost seemed desperate to make a game of it, rather than just put it to bed. We are too good for this league but we play such casual and careless football at times and the thought of playing like this in the PL next year is scary. We'll get hit for 4 or 5 once a month wothout question.

Next seasons worry that.. and hopefully with a better standard of player that isn't the case.

However, i do share that worry currently .. we give enough chances away in this league in the prem  you're right. Look whats happening to Burnley.

I just think Enzo has a bit more about him and will do well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Just wish we would go for the kill when we go 1 up. 

That was my frustration and continues to be.. but it doesn't seem to suit enzos philosophy and we're doing well his way so far aren't we... I'll just keep being frustrated and enjoying the wins 

1 minute ago, Simonb said:

That was my frustration and continues to be.. but it doesn't seem to suit enzos philosophy and we're doing well his way so far aren't we... I'll just keep being frustrated and enjoying the wins 

I don’t think it’s enzo, we just don’t finish off chances. We created enough to be 2/3 up at half time but we need to be cleaner in final third 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I don’t think it’s enzo, we just don’t finish off chances. We created enough to be 2/3 up at half time but we need to be cleaner in final third 

Yea that's true.. been like that a lot this season where we could've gone in 2 or 3 up and been game over.. providing minuted for fringe players

Didn't work today, but he usually finds a way though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I don’t think they were. They were decent but it took a double deflection in injury time for them to equalise. 
Can’t remember them creating a lot. 
Once again we invited pressure on ourselves especially second half. 
Had we got the penalty and sending off that was deserved it would of been a comfortable win. 

Created a lot than what we did, especially in the second half. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Right fine but even on that they’ve had 3 shots with a higher xG than anything we had. As I say above game state has an effect on that

But again really it was really pushing back against anyone that thought they were lucky. I think that’s grossly wrong cos I loved reading all the posts on here about how we weren’t unlucky against Hull in similar circumstances…

If people don’t think we were pretty poor like I do fine, but I can’t be having that they were lucky. 

I think the main pushback is we were comfortable enough until our self-inflicted substitutions.

The game was ours to throw away and it feels very much like we contrived to let 2 points slip rather than Ipswich being anything groundbreaking. They did what any half decent team should do when one goal behind at home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simonb said:

Next seasons worry that.. and hopefully with a better standard of player that isn't the case.

However, i do share that worry currently .. we give enough chances away in this league in the prem  you're right. Look whats happening to Burnley.

I just think Enzo has a bit more about him and will do well.

And with all due respect, we are much more of an attraction than Burnley. Pretty much 80% of our team would individually improve any of the three promoted sides. Hermansen, Ricardo, Winks, KDH, Mavididi, Fatawu, N’Didi, Faes, Doyle, Justin, all walk into any of them teams starting eleven. 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Unfortunately you can't run them into the ground.

By that logic Faes, Mavididi and Fatawu should have been subbed too.

It was a winnable game away against our closest opponents - there are many other far less critical games where they could be rested.

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

And with all due respect, we are much more of an attraction than Burnley. Pretty much 80% of our team would individually improve any of the three promoted sides. Hermansen, Ricardo, Winks, KDH, Mavididi, Fatawu, N’Didi, Faes, Doyle, Justin, all walk into any of them teams starting eleven. 

Have to agree.. I think the three that went up are weaker even after strengthening, than the three that came down before we've all strengthened.

I still think Leeds find a way to get second.. and I reckon Southampton will manage their way through the play offs.. or the other way round.

If that's the case, with us taking first.. I think the relegation battle next season will be epic. Not being arrogant as I know there's a huge leap from championship promotion to 17th in the EPL, but with a few signings each it's a gap that can be breached.

I think it's a foregone conclusion this season that the 3 that went up will drop, although Luton are giving it a go.. teams like forest are getting a free hit .. but next year will be much tougher 

We could have gone on and won this but sat back far too much allowed them far too much space and time on the ball and gave the ball away far too much, Nacho gave us nothing when he came on would rather have seen cannon replace Daka, we need to finish these better teams off earlier we saw how Dirty Leeds tore them a new one why couldn’t we have done the same ?

Enzo needs to have a plan B when teams hit us like Ipswich did tonight and a few other teams in the past 2 points dropped could cost us hope not but we should have won this at least 0-3 2 penalties missed I won’t complain about VAR again !!

Onto next game in 2024 Put these teams to the sword be more clinical both home and away don’t give up our League position!

37 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree that Winks, Wilf and KDH all need a rest. But playing Casadei is absolute suicide. He's a disaster. Not all his fault but every time he comes on, we instantaneously get worse. 

Where tf is Praet again? Fckn always AWOL. 

We need to try and limp by v Cardiff with Hamza, Praet (assuming he's not sulking) and Ricky in midfield (forcing a rethink for the right back / midfield role...maybe Doyle can do that from LB?) 

Basically anything but Casadei and Yunus

The squad over these 20+ games is more than doing its job..

We would automatically have our struggles ,as season progresses.

This is not an experienced squad,with an imbedded system…

but the system is looking after itself quite well,despite losing considered prime players,to injury,or  required rotation. 
Not all can be planned or ordained, Enzo has to keep to his ideology,but sports nature of the beast, often interferes…

Picking out individuals and Enzo’s need to use the squad,is also causing unfair

analyse &  critic.So far nobody let us down ( see the unnecessary critic on Coady selection) and other players introduction…

Look at the table.. !!   Then individual important movements,assists to assist in chance,or just attack creation. Within Enzo’s system there is that sporting allowance,that is making prudence of sharing load a very positive routine.

First season,new manager,new squad, totally new system…FFs let the squad evolve and breath..and not go chasing every detailed uncomfortable moment(s)

With All these so called horrors,the squad,the individuals ARE doing phenomenally 

better than expected,and returned smiles back to the terraces.

This point tonight,spite Vesty or Ricardo being upset, has given Ipswich & chasing

2-3 wanna-bes a bigger dilemma and questions, on aspirations than we have.

Our squad and individuals  have proved their potential in cutting a progressive path..

Even now some posters are trying to forge agendas, and OTT questions by wanking up so called weaker players…

We need to try and rotate,but still keep a balance using this seasons rescource of chosen players..I see no reason why we should go error,weaker spotting.

I thought tonight was a great game (from itfc fan). I left Portman Road thinking we were the better team, but after seeing replays of Harness and Burgess incidents I’ve realised we’ve had luck on our side tonight.

It’s the most upbeat I’ve been after a draw for a very long time, and happy to be in this position on Boxing Day.

Tonight helps us brush off the Leeds result, which I’m taking with a pinch of salt. I knew they have the capabilities to thrash us, but I don’t think they have what it takes to grind out 6 wins a row against teams they’re expected to beat.

I’m more worried about Southampton, but ultimately I feel we will hold them both off. Expect us to be ambitious in January!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justfoxes said:

We could have gone on and won this but sat back far too much allowed them far too much space and time on the ball and gave the ball away far too much, Nacho gave us nothing when he came on would rather have seen cannon replace Daka, we need to finish these better teams off earlier we saw how Dirty Leeds tore them a new one why couldn’t we have done the same ?

Enzo needs to have a plan B when teams hit us like Ipswich did tonight and a few other teams in the past 2 points dropped could cost us hope not but we should have won this at least 0-3 2 penalties missed I won’t complain about VAR again !!

Onto next game in 2024 Put these teams to the sword be more clinical both home and away don’t give up our League position!

Agree a little but for perspective.. when Leeds won the league by beating Ipswich 4-0 people forgot that their form is 1 win in 4. We've drawn with Ipswich, but won the other 3 therefore widening the gap by 7 more points on them.

So you can't really compare results against one team.. plus they were at home at lunch time in front of over 30k of their own fans

.. we were away against the best home form team in the league late game on boxing (possibly carrying a little extra Christmas pudding 🤣) in front of only a couple thousand of our own fans. 

Pre match its a decent result, just disappointing as the way we played and the how they scored. 

Win the next 2 hopefully and then give the first 11 a rest in the cup for me. 

• Like 1