Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

6 minutes ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

I thought tonight was a great game (from itfc fan). I left Portman Road thinking we were the better team, but after seeing replays of Harness and Burgess incidents I’ve realised we’ve had luck on our side tonight.

It’s the most upbeat I’ve been after a draw for a very long time, and happy to be in this position on Boxing Day.

Tonight helps us brush off the Leeds result, which I’m taking with a pinch of salt. I knew they have the capabilities to thrash us, but I don’t think they have what it takes to grind out 6 wins a row against teams they’re expected to beat.

I’m more worried about Southampton, but ultimately I feel we will hold them both off. Expect us to be ambitious in January!

Was a fair result.

Felt we should have finished it in the first half and that the red messed up. That being said, we left the door open and although the equaliser was a fluke your persistence paid off.

Pre match I just didn't want to lose, post match I'm a little gutted but still reasonably happy with the point.

I think ultimately you'll struggle to hold them off but I really hope you do

36 minutes ago, sdb said:

I've not read a single post because I don't want to conform or be put off by those posters that jump on others' negativity. But I was really frustrated with us tonight. Clearly the more capable side, but as is often the case, almost seemed desperate to make a game of it, rather than just put it to bed. We are too good for this league but we play such casual and careless football at times and the thought of playing like this in the PL next year is scary. We'll get hit for 4 or 5 once a month wothout question.

Thats exactly my point we just sometimes fail to put games to bed far too often it’s second half performance where we shine and get a few goals, but far too often we waste opportunities we are sloppy with the ball we just don’t put teams to the sword to which we are far more than capable of doing !

Enzo has certainly brought back the good times to LCFCbut he hasn’t managed to rid us of our fuching frustratingly frustrating game where we give teams far to much space and time on the ball not killing off games allowing them to equalise last minute like tonight, where we dominated most of the game failed to finish them off and allowed them to take 2 points off us !!

We need to be be more clinical on the ball don’t give teams time to settle hit them hard or these consistent discrepancies will come and bite us on the arse come business end of the season !

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Sick of the sight off Nacho.

Man doesn't break a sweat.

No desire to close a man down.

Ipswich are the luckiest side a double deflection.

I couldn't believe Nacho today.  A total disgrace.  He never broke sweat or attempted to put their defenders under any pressure, but just wondered aimlessly and very slowly round the pitch.  We needed utter commitment from all the players as Ipswich stepped up later in the game. (Casadei also lacking in commitment; the 2 subs were what dragged us down).

1 minute ago, justfoxes said:

Thats exactly my point we just sometimes fail to put games to bed far too often it’s second half performance where we shine and get a few goals, but far too often we waste opportunities we are sloppy with the ball we just don’t put teams to the sword to which we are far more than capable of doing !

Enzo has certainly brought back the good times to LCFCbut he hasn’t managed to rid us of our fuching frustratingly frustrating game where we give teams far to much space and time on the ball not killing off games allowing them to equalise last minute like tonight, where we dominated most of the game failed to finish them off and allowed them to take 2 points off us !!

We need to be be more clinical on the ball don’t give teams time to settle hit them hard or these consistent discrepancies will come and bite us on the arse come business end of the season !

To be fair though, on the whole we are managing through games..  I do agree I gage seeing us hold on for dear life in games we should have buried.. but we've won 19 out of 24 games this season so he's getting us there.. 

If the players start being more clinical we'll finish games off earlier, we are making the chances just not converting them, and that one isn't on Enzo.

We've had 2 seasons where we just missed out on champions league, then 2 poor seasons where we ultimately ended up where we are now through the inability to see games out... we are turning that around, 19 wins show that, just doesn't seem convincing at times that's all.

We're doing well.. I just don't want to see a midfield that doesn't have at least one of kdh or wilf in it until we bring better quality in.. apart from the fa cup game.. not interested in that this season

• Like 2

I actally thought that Ipswich were quite poor for much of that game, especially in the first-half. You can tell they are very well coached, especially with how well they move the ball through the thirds, but I felt that in the first-half they seemed really subservient and paid us a lot of respect. They didn't create any clear chances until the last twenty minutes or so, but I felt that was due to us losing control and making some very stupid decisions. Credit to them for how well they've done and they're not going away anytime soon. However, I really felt that we threw two points away, although I'd have taken a draw before the game. 

Edited by BenTheFox

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I actally thought that Ipswich were quite poor for much of that game, especially in the first-half. You can tell they are very well coached, especially with well they move the ball through the thirds, but I felt that in the first-half they seemed really subservient and paid us a lot of respect. They didn't create any clear chances until the last twenty minutes or so, but I felt that was due to us losing control and making some very stupid decisions. Credit to them for how well they've done and they're not going away anytime soon. However, I really felt that we threw two points away, although I'd have taken a draw before the game. 

I get why the celebrations were so loud etc. (although ironic how much shit they were giving Norwich last week) 

But a little bit amazed by their fanbase reaction  to it all. Didn’t think they did themselves justice considering some of the stuff I’ve seen them play. Saints are nearer to them tonight than they were this morning. They managed 2 points out of the last available 9

Edited by CosbehFox

A proper jammy goal to equalise in a game I think we deserved to win.

We were the better team overall but they did cause us problems. There wasn't a great deal between us on the night but I think we deserved to shade it.

Can't be too disappointed with a point away at the next best team in the league, especially as it moves us another point away from third and maintains the six-point gap between us and second.

What is clear is that we should be beating them on our own patch, and tonight we should have had a penalty and an extra man on the field.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Their luck truly surpasses Notts Forest last season. It should be studied and written about. 

That being said I think Saints catch them now and frankly I'm hoping it happens. Full time scenes were Arsenal 2016 esque. 

Can't fault their celebrations surely?

Promoted from league one, amazing position currently, battered by Leeds and start to worry.. losing to top of the table and scrape a point in what's becoming a tight race for them now.. fair play to them

The arsenal esque celebration for me was when Leeds beat us.. their fans are embarrassing.. not Ipswich they're just enjoying the run and excitement of potentially getting back in the prem after years out of it.. remember that feeling?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ALC Fox said:

A proper jammy goal to equalise in a game I think we deserved to win.

We were the better team overall but they did cause us problems. There wasn't a great deal between us on the night but I think we deserved to shade it.

Can't be too disappointed with a point away at the next best team in the league, especially as it moves us another point away from third and maintains the six-point gap between us and second.

What is clear is that we should be beating them on our own patch, and tonight we should have had a penalty and an extra man on the field.

No daka or wilf and potentially no fatawu either.. not bothered by iheanacho though.. be tougher than we think 

11 minutes ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

). I left Portman Road thinking we were the better team,

Extraordinary how we see games through our own lens. 

Not having a pop, but I thought the chasm between us was as big as possible first and second to be. It looked more like a top v seventh type game. And you bummed a fluke which on huff and puff versus our third gear, you could argue was deserved. 

We pay our players 65m a year. So, I don't take any particular glee in being better. Pound for pound your performance is immense. 

7 minutes ago, Simonb said:

Was a fair result.

Felt we should have finished it in the first half and that the red messed up. That being said, we left the door open and although the equaliser was a fluke your persistence paid off.

Pre match I just didn't want to lose, post match I'm a little gutted but still reasonably happy with the point.

I think ultimately you'll struggle to hold them off but I really hope you do

The reason I’m confident is because we are so well drilled it enables us to consistently win the banana skin games (Boro, Watford, Sunderland - all away).

Admittedly, we struggle when playing teams like yourselves and Leeds. Despite how great McKenna is, we have a squad that was assembled in League One. They are all playing out of their skin, but they struggle to dominate against you and Leeds due to the quality you have.

A couple of my mates are Leicester fans, so I too hope we can enjoy automatic promotion together.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Extraordinary how we see games through our own lens. 

Not having a pop, but I thought the chasm between us was as big as possible first and second to be. It looked more like a top v seventh type game. And you bummed a fluke which on huff and puff versus our third gear, you could argue was deserved. 

We pay our players 65m a year. So, I don't take any particular glee in being better. Pound for pound your performance is immense. 

See my response here and you’ll see I don’t disagree with you.

6 minutes ago, Simonb said:

Can't fault their celebrations surely?

Promoted from league one, amazing position currently, battered by Leeds and start to worry.. losing to top of the table and scrape a point in what's becoming a tight race for them now.. fair play to them

The arsenal esque celebration for me was when Leeds beat us.. their fans are embarrassing.. not Ipswich they're just enjoying the run and excitement of potentially getting back in the prem after years out of it.. remember that feeling?

It's all relative I guess yeah. But feel Saints catch them comfortably now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

The reason I’m confident is because we are so well drilled it enables us to consistently win the banana skin games (Boro, Watford, Sunderland - all away).

Admittedly, we struggle when playing teams like yourselves and Leeds. Despite how great McKenna is, we have a squad that was assembled in League One. They are all playing out of their skin, but they struggle to dominate against you and Leeds due to the quality you have.

A couple of my mates are Leicester fans, so I too hope we can enjoy automatic promotion together.

I like your style of play, but I do feel your an injury to Chaplin away from dropping off..

Anytime I've watched you guys everything good goes through him, he's very good moving the ball forward quickly 

I do hope you hold on though

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's all relative I guess yeah. But feel Saints catch them comfortably now.

I think you're right. I think Southampton will take over them, and I still feel Leeds have the ability to win 10 on the bounce too.. I'd love Ipswich to hold on though, but I can't see it.

But I think Ipswich fans are just enjoying the ride at the minute.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simonb said:

I like your style of play, but I do feel your an injury to Chaplin away from dropping off..

Anytime I've watched you guys everything good goes through him, he's very good moving the ball forward quickly 

I do hope you hold on though

I think we’ve got a bit more depth than people give us credit for to be honest, especially in those number ten positions. I also think we’ll make some signings in January.

The only players that would be irreplaceable are Davis and Morsy in my opinion.

People weren't happy with a second half in which we should have been given a penalty and the opposition reduced to at least 10 men.

We definitely tired in the second half: we played the first half at a much higher pace than usual, and played some great football and could have led by more... and it was our second game in three days!

I honestly don't know what people want. It seems like a football manager-style 46 game winning season.

• Like 1

Also an Ipswich fan here and have really enjoyed reading the post match reaction page by page. Think there’s been 85% of Leicester fans thinking we were lucky and/or poor and 15% recognising some good-ish performance there with almost everyone hoping we join you in promotion. Don’t think we have any animosity in the past and two decent clubs with good history that represent their counties well. 

I think our 3 changes today (tactically due to fixture congestion) plus Hirst’s early injury meant we effectively had 4/10 outfield positions weakened. This showed in our flow of play a little but ultimately it’s important to recognise your quality as much defensively as offensively. You’re known for your clinical attacking performances this season but today I thought you really showed our mettle defensively. We didn’t show anywhere near the clinical forward displays and pace of attacks we are used to seeing at Portman Road but this was mostly due to you nullifying this threat. For those that can’t understand why we are second, it’s because we usually don’t face a premier league defence and are able to dominate possession. 

As mentioned by a fellow fan above, we are humble enough to know we’re punching above our weight and we are all just loving the ride. We know the Leeds and Leicesters of this league will really test us and that has proven itself. We were lucky to play Saints away early on when they were getting to grips with Martin’s style (0-1 win). 

Expect you boys to romp the league and expect us to effectively be in a ding dong battle with Saints, Leeds and possibly WBA for the rest of the season. Spoke to someone senior at the club yesterday who expects us to break our transfer record in January to sign a forward and CB. Think we have the finances to capitalise on our current league position but will be fun to enjoy the ride till May and pray we make history with a return alongside you. We’ll settle for second 😉 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FOXSE said:

People weren't happy with a second half in which we should have been given a penalty and the opposition reduced to at least 10 men.

We definitely tired in the second half: we played the first half at a much higher pace than usual, and played some great football and could have led by more... and it was our second game in three days!

I honestly don't know what people want. It seems like a football manager-style 46 game winning season.

Probably just the disappointment of a late equaliser and playing about at the back to defend a one goal lead..

Although I agree casadei and yunus together don't work and that's enzos fault.. we are winning 4 out of 5 games.

Even if that drops to 3 out of 5 for the remainder of the season it'll be enough for promotion. Doing a great job. 

Find a way to beat Cardiff and Huddersfield and use the cup as a rest week and we'll be fine 

4 minutes ago, ipswichfan said:

Also an Ipswich fan here and have really enjoyed reading the post match reaction page by page. Think there’s been 85% of Leicester fans thinking we were lucky and/or poor and 15% recognising some good-ish performance there with almost everyone hoping we join you in promotion. Don’t think we have any animosity in the past and two decent clubs with good history that represent their counties well. 

I think our 3 changes today (tactically due to fixture congestion) plus Hirst’s early injury meant we effectively had 4/10 outfield positions weakened. This showed in our flow of play a little but ultimately it’s important to recognise your quality as much defensively as offensively. You’re known for your clinical attacking performances this season but today I thought you really showed our mettle defensively. We didn’t show anywhere near the clinical forward displays and pace of attacks we are used to seeing at Portman Road but this was mostly due to you nullifying this threat. For those that can’t understand why we are second, it’s because we usually don’t face a premier league defence and are able to dominate possession. 

As mentioned by a fellow fan above, we are humble enough to know we’re punching above our weight and we are all just loving the ride. We know the Leeds and Leicesters of this league will really test us and that has proven itself. We were lucky to play Saints away early on when they were getting to grips with Martin’s style (0-1 win). 

Expect you boys to romp the league and expect us to effectively be in a ding dong battle with Saints, Leeds and possibly WBA for the rest of the season. Spoke to someone senior at the club yesterday who expects us to break our transfer record in January to sign a forward and CB. Think we have the finances to capitalise on our current league position but will be fun to enjoy the ride till May and pray we make history with a return alongside you. We’ll settle for second 😉 

Once we've guaranteed promotion I'll be routing for your guys over Leeds and Southampton.. if we've won the league and come May you're promoted by one point, I'll personally be happy that we donated one today 🤣

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Simonb said:

Probably just the disappointment of a late equaliser and playing about at the back to defend a one goal lead..

Although I agree casadei and yunus together don't work and that's enzos fault.. we are winning 4 out of 5 games.

Even if that drops to 3 out of 5 for the remainder of the season it'll be enough for promotion. Doing a great job. 

Find a way to beat Cardiff and Huddersfield and use the cup as a rest week and we'll be fine 

It was disappointing to concede late, but we looked leggy. Yunus for KDH, similar energy, so made sense to me. Casedai? I just don't think he is up to it yet.

The playing the ball around the back? The equaliser didn't even come from that, did it?

Are main job in that game was to not lose.... 

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

No killer instinct to take chances and put the game to bed, plus subs that invite pressure on to us is a problem.

Yeah, we should've had a penalty, but we should've been at least 2 up at that point.

We should have walked that, but the subs swung the momentum.

Ipswich celebrating that like a win and Southampton relentless.

3 points there and killing the game off would have been a statement win.

From this position, we SHOULD go up, but we need to be more ruthless and manage the final 20 minutes of games so much better.

Can't help but to come in as an Ipswich fan at the game

The reason for the celebration was because we were so bad against Leeds.  Remember we were league one last year and this year was about consolidation - we were pipped against a team worth so much more than us (Dewsbury_Hall alone is worth more than our squad) so yes to get a point against the eventual champions is worth celebrating. To me, it was a good game, evenly played and we missed some good chances.

Agree about the second penalty claim (not the first) but thats the rub - we've had several disallowed.

Seen some posts way more arrogant than from Leeds fans, which is tough.  As some have said, we are not dog s***e, or the like. It's half way through the season and we are there on merit.  Our most epensoive player is £1.5m so a bit of credit would be good

I hope you go up as champions - you're a good team and deserve it.  

• Like 2