Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

Prefer games without VAR but the EFL have got to do better with the standard of officials. That's two massive incorrect penalty decisions in recent games that as a minimum would be expected to be given by even a moderately competent referee or an assistant. They can't both miss those. 

The second yellow was influenced by the Ipswich players and fans still protesting about a foul on one of their players moments before. Officials took the easy (wrong) option in the circumstances. 

20 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t think it’s as cut and dry that, for about 40 minutes we found space all over the pitch, but only once punished them for it. the second half was a bit pathetic, we clearly sat on the one goal hoping it would be enough and it wasn’t. 

I wasn’t the slightest bit impressed with Ipswich at all, I thought they were scrappy, got more decisions their way, should have definitely been down to ten men. We threw away three points rather than Ipswich earning it. They won’t be in the top two come the end of the season I don’t think. 

I agree that Ipswich were scrappy, but i was very impressed with their energy, pace and intensity. However, I would be astonished if they could keep that up for the rest of the season. That style will have to burn out at some point and it looks like Hirst might be out for a little while too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThorpeAstleyFox said:

I'd much rather have the odd 'dodgy' decision (which go both ways over the course of a season) than have VAR suck the passion out of watching a game.

Without VAR we wouldnt have an FA Cup trophy. If that Chilwell goal went in they’d of folded like a pack of cards. I know what id choose

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, EFL View said:

With Harness, his second challenge was a bookable offence but I think the ref kept him on because he realised he’d missed a clear foul on Chaplin about five seconds earlier.

You mean the tackle where Fatawu got all of the ball and none of the man and was never a foul by any stretch of the imagination?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Simonb said:

No daka or wilf and potentially no fatawu either.. not bothered by iheanacho though.. be tougher than we think 

It will be tough for sure. I would be most worried about Fatawu and Wilf's absences. Casadei just isn't good enough and Fatawu's style of play and defensive work is crucial to how we play. Akgun has shown flashes of good work and Kasey was on fire at the start of the season but we'll need one or the other to step up during AFCON.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Prefer games without VAR but the EFL have got to do better with the standard of officials. That's two massive incorrect penalty decisions in recent games that as a minimum would be expected to be given by even a moderately competent referee or an assistant. They can't both miss those. 

The second yellow was influenced by the Ipswich players and fans still protesting about a foul on one of their players moments before. Officials took the easy (wrong) option in the circumstances. 

That’s it isn’t it. Last night that shouldn’t have even needed anyone looking at slow motion replays. It was a blatant penalty just missed by the ref and linesman. 

I’m assuming it was missed because I can’t believe anyone who had a view of that couldn’t give it. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

wasn’t the slightest bit impressed with Ipswich at all

Hallelujah. Someone else saw the same. 

It's frankly staggering that til now, have accumulated more points than stand out champions of the past; us, wolves, reading, Newcastle, Fulham etc ....

There is no way on earth they are that level. They simply haven't got the quality. They've got the luck and confidence and momentum but they ain't at the level of those past champions in a million years. Southampton will overtake these within weeks. 

Having reflected there are 3 mistakes in the goal, Casadei press at the throw in, Ricardo's press to block the shot and Vestergaard turning side on to the ball almost scared rather than facing the ball. We lacked the final decision making in the final third, but watching Newcastle forest has made me feel better, Newcastle have a golden opportunity to go 2-0 up final pass is blocked and forest go to the other end and score to make it 1-1 right beforeHT. Newcastle will finish in the top 8 in the premiership and they make mistakes, as a new team finding its feet with a new manager there are areas to work on, but we did more right than wrong last night.

Edited by Beachyboy

We limited a very good Ipswich side to one good chance from a corner and a 20-yard effort that Mads tipped wide easily before their fluke of an equaliser - that’s a big positive.

However, we didn’t create too much other our goal ourselves really, and you have to give Ipswich credit for that, too. If it wasn’t for the big decisions that went against us, I wouldn’t be so frustrated that Ipswich took a point because they probably deserved it. But they should have been 2-0 down and down to 10 men so it’s hard to accept the end result.

That’s football. Let’s take 6 points from Cardiff and Huddersfield and look back on this as a very successful Christmas period.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You mean the tackle where Fatawu got all of the ball and none of the man and was never a foul by any stretch of the imagination?

Thought it looked like a foul at the time but I haven’t seen any replays since, so I won’t die on that hill. 

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Hallelujah. Someone else saw the same. 

It's frankly staggering that til now, have accumulated more points than stand out champions of the past; us, wolves, reading, Newcastle, Fulham etc ....

There is no way on earth they are that level. They simply haven't got the quality. They've got the luck and confidence and momentum but they ain't at the level of those past champions in a million years. Southampton will overtake these within weeks. 

I thought Chaplin looked a handful and they worked ever so hard, probably the hardest working team in the league.

It's not often we've been outpossessed for an entire half and they didn't wilt even during the end of the game, so fair dues.

Huffing and puffing with a bit of quality and belief can get you far. 

1 hour ago, phoneticerror said:

Two things that irk me. 1, that was a pen. 2, Harness deserved a second yellow. But these things happen. 26 days and we’ll get another stab at them.

Yes it was a pen. Tough luck for us.

Harness' first yellow was very soft which maybe balances it out a bit.

But those two decision along with the equaliser definitely shows they were fortunate.

I really don't think they could've complained if that finished 1-0, despite McKenna's biased post match comments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shen said:

I thought Chaplin looked a handful and they worked ever so hard, probably the hardest working team in the league.

It's not often we've been outpossessed for an entire half and they didn't wilt even during the end of the game, so fair dues.

Huffing and puffing with a bit of quality and belief can get you far

I agree and I was giving Ipswich a back handed compliment by comparison with past champions. They aren't at that level and I'm amazed there are tracking better. 

A fairer comparison is past promoted clubs; Burnleys and QPRs and Forests etc. That's their natural level. 

They are waaayyy over performing and credit to them for that. But, regardless of last night's result, they simply aren't at our standard (and nor should they be, we have Pl players and wage bill)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don’t think any of Yunus, Iheanacho or Casadei played badly, but accumulatively we were weakened by all three subs. 

We are playing four games in ten days though. If KDH, Daka or Ndidi pull their hamstring we’d be slagging Enzo for not resting them well enough.

Absolute stonewall pen for me, but overall Ipswich deserved a point. 

Disagree. To "deserve" a point in my book, you need to have been unlucky with your finishing or faced some exceptional defending/goalkeeping. But Hermansen only had a couple of routine saves from long range all game.

They were blunt in attack, much like most of the Championship.