Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

11 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Just been over to Twitter. Bloody hilarious seeing their fans celebrating like they’d won the game. Let them have their moment 😂

’Fortune favours the brave’ was my favourite comment. Reign it in lads 

Trouble with Twitter is that too many twits on it

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

It was a clear pen, but its one of them defenders often get away with because the ref struggles to get a good view and I'm not convinced VAR changes the on-field decision either to be honest, as we know it likes to stick with on field decision as much as possible. 

Was the linesman also unsighted, I doubt it.

Clear barge in the back, I believe VAR would have overturned that.

13 hours ago, Simonb said:

To be fair though, on the whole we are managing through games..  I do agree I gage seeing us hold on for dear life in games we should have buried.. but we've won 19 out of 24 games this season so he's getting us there.. 

If the players start being more clinical we'll finish games off earlier, we are making the chances just not converting them, and that one isn't on Enzo.

We've had 2 seasons where we just missed out on champions league, then 2 poor seasons where we ultimately ended up where we are now through the inability to see games out... we are turning that around, 19 wins show that, just doesn't seem convincing at times that's all.

We're doing well.. I just don't want to see a midfield that doesn't have at least one of kdh or wilf in it until we bring better quality in.. apart from the fa cup game.. not interested in that this season

yep, please rest entire first 11 for Millwall in cup, daka being the CF.  Give Kasey a run if's he's fit, Doyle, Yunus, Coady, castoff (sorry casadei slip off the finger:ph34r:), hamza, etc

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

Good post my friend. I agree totally.   

I've slept on yesterdays result before posting, hoping I could come up with a more balanced contribution not fuelled by annoyance,  so here's a few bullets, Yes the 1st half was ok, even though we did look a bit leggy in some areas. I personally believe it was a Peno on KDH, and finally the Subs were a bit, mmmmmm? ( see above) 

Here's my beef...... Why oh why try to control things especially when tired and play EnzoBall outside your 18yd box with Ipswich obviously having the bit between their teeth and being on the ascendancy.  It just invites pressure for god sake. Yes it was a jammy double deflection of a goal but if we weren't so hell bent on 'passing the fvck out of it' all the god damn time as the only way we play.

I must stress the option to just hoof it wouldn't have been the right play, but two or three simple quick and direct "FORWARD" passes out wide and get up the other end of the pitch and AWAY from our 18yd box, then EnzoBall the hell out of it if needs be, or better still continue to try and score a 2nd. But the most important thing is the play would have been away from our goal.  Sometimes "less is more" when it comes to passing 

Basically this is one of my main grips of playing out from the back, if/when you lose possession it's right on top of you, you're in the shit and you're likely to concede.

Whereas if you're a little more expansive, forward, positive, and you do lose possession it's generally higher up the pitch, atleast you've got time to put things right.

It's supposed to get easier when scoring 1st and/or we take the lead, it seems we made it harder for ourselves.

As you say, the alternative isn't hoofing but there are other option and alternatives.

Especially in the dying stages of a match with only a 1 goal lead, there's a time and a place, the situation we found ourselves in was far from controlling the game.

Play the percentages.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Basically this is one of my main grips of playing out from the back, if/when you lose possession it's right on top of you, you're in the shit and you're likely to concede.

Whereas if you're a little more expansive, forward, positive, and you do lose possession it's generally higher up the pitch, atleast you've got time to put things right.

Especially in the dying stages of a match with only a 1 goal lead, there's a time and a place, the situation we found ourselves in was far from controlling the game.

Play the percentages.

Easier said than done though, when players are tired, you can see the clock and that option of keeping possession is “open”. The ones that get me are the unnecessary passes after 3 or 4, you can belt it forward or hit it long but sometimes we go one more pass and all of a sudden we’re up sh1t creek without a paddle. Having said that, we’re top, so can’t grumble too much.

• Like 2

Glad I’m not the only one who is literally screaming at the telly & Enzo. I get the passing around the box and the 1-2 give backs but it gets very nervy when the opposition presses and are just a few feet away. Like watching  game of chicken and who ballses it up first. I’m sure this is part of game management - maybe Enzo does warn them but the players are being risky.

all I know is I just don’t like the invitation to the opposition when we really needed to protect our box. Just weird to see so hope someone calls Enzo on it to get a better explanation as the players keep doing it over and over. 

Benjamin Bloom has one of the best You Tube channels for the Championship and is also an Ipswich fan. Interesting to hear his thoughts about Leicester at the end of the video, basically saying he felt Leicester are the best team in possession that Ipswich have faced all season and that the difference in Leicester between game 1 and now is markable.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I've got a lot of respect for Maresca here. Could easily have gone off against the referee, who missed a number of incidents, but can clearly see the bigger picture. He doesn't think we should rely on being awarded penalties and things we can't control: He cares that we created our own chances, but just didn't take them. We can influence that. We can't force the referee to change his "decision".

Nice guys finish last usually.

Can't be this happy about bad decisions in the EPL, they should be put under pressure to get the decisions correct.

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Nice guys finish last usually.

Can't be this happy about bad decisions in the EPL, they should be put under pressure to get the decisions correct.

Interviewer was trying to goad him into a response on it, and Enzo refused to take the bait.  No one wins by going overboard in the post match interview. Would like to think that a discussion happens behind the scenes and isn't sensationalised. 

• Like 3

Has Maresca explained why he brought on Iheanacho instead of Cannon in any of his post-match stuff? More I think on it the worse it becomes, really weird decision, unless ultimately he just doesn't rate Cannon, which is a bit of an issue with the period coming up.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

I don’t think playing out from the back is a real issue , reckon we do quite well in keeping possession, yes it scares me silly at times but the players are getting used to it now , thought Coady wasn’t comfy with it last night though . My gripe is the lack of ambition after taking the lead and control of the game , a second goal kills the game off . I was worried we may have got overrun last night but I now feel really confident we are the real deal and I’m finally convinced we are going up . 

4 minutes ago, Pwilky58 said:

I don’t think playing out from the back is a real issue , reckon we do quite well in keeping possession, yes it scares me silly at times but the players are getting used to it now , thought Coady wasn’t comfy with it last night though . My gripe is the lack of ambition after taking the lead and control of the game , a second goal kills the game off . I was worried we may have got overrun last night but I now feel really confident we are the real deal and I’m finally convinced we are going up . 

The real reason we didn't get overrun was because Ipswich were pretty crap!!

• Like 1

Have to just take that result on the chin.  Four big slices of luck: Morsy not getting his 5th yellow against Leeds when the ref took pity on them, the non-red card (twice), the non-penalty and the deflected goal. We’ve had an incredible December so far and ultimately pulled away from everyone. Get a couple of wins from Cardiff and Huddersfield and we’ll be laughing.  

Edited by Benji
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, VG Fox said:

yep, please rest entire first 11 for Millwall in cup, daka being the CF.  Give Kasey a run if's he's fit, Doyle, Yunus, Coady, castoff (sorry casadei slip off the finger:ph34r:), hamza, etc

Haha, yea I'm down with that. If fit give Braybrooke and Alves a run out.

Chuck in sharkey etc not worth risking anyone 

• Like 1