Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Ipswich (A) 1 - 1 - Boxing Day - Post-Match Thread

1 hour ago, Phenom said:

Anytime something bad happens, simpletons blame it on playing out from the back. Never mind that the best teams in their divisions usually do. 

Yeh but that’s why I love football. It’s a great escape from reality. The reaction to last nights draw was like a defeat from most of my family/friends. It’s a game we follow so closely against all logic, so I want the reaction to it to be completely illogical too. 

14 hours ago, Phenom said:

Anytime something bad happens, simpletons blame it on playing out from the back. Never mind that the best teams in their divisions usually do. 

Depends on how good the team are at doing it though.  I would like to see the stats if there are any on how many lead to goals scored/conceded.

11 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

XG figures for this one have finally put the nail in the coffin for my fondness of the stat. 

How on earth have they come up with 0.3 for us despite the clear one on ones we had with last ditch tackles and turned down penalty on KDH.

If you don’t get a shot away, the xG is zero. It’s not a difficult concept.

7 minutes ago, Hollism94 said:

If you don’t get a shot away, the xG is zero. It’s not a difficult concept.

Then the formula is far too basic.

For example, KDH's one on one with a defender chasing alongside was rated as 0% xG yet would ordinarily result in, say 25% tackle / 25% save / 25% goal / 25% foul (75% chance of being given, and then a 75% chance if that being scored) 

41 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

It is stupid. It’s the most pointless stat in the world of sport. 

It's obviously not "stupid", but it is limited.

I applaud the effort to contextualise existing stats to give them more value. Like all other single stats though, you need to look at several of them in combination to get a better picture.

And ultimately, it needs to be backed by some footballing knowledge to get true value out of it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I get slated for saying we're struggling to kill of games, yet Harry Winks agrees :whistle:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-harry-winks-diagnoses-9000953

I look at it as us having 'killed-off' 19 of 24 games so far!

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

not in that game they weren’t. 

I was expecting more from them, maybe it has something to do with the short turn around after the leeds game though. 

I think they just came up against 2 superior teams. Their hard work and desire to get forwards wasn't enough. McKenna is doing a superb job because in the 2 games vs us and Leeds they looked painfully average.

Having watched them against other teams, I don't see any reason they can't maintain their form against lesser opponents.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I think they just came up against 2 superior teams. Their hard work and desire to get forwards wasn't enough. McKenna is doing a superb job because in the 2 games vs us and Leeds they looked painfully average.

Having watched them against other teams, I don't see any reason they can't maintain their form against lesser opponents.

Truthfully, they would be better off not going up this year. 

Probably like us after the watford game, one more year in the championship would allow them to create something with a better chance of staying in the prem. 

You can just see that the quality isn’t quite there all over the pitch. But then again luton are doing alright, so maybe you can get away without the quality these days. 

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Truthfully, they would be better off not going up this year. 

Probably like us after the watford game, one more year in the championship would allow them to create something with a better chance of staying in the prem. 

You can just see that the quality isn’t quite there all over the pitch. But then again luton are doing alright, so maybe you can get away without the quality these days. 

No, can't go for this 'better off not going up' idea. Can be a nightmare getting stuck in the Championship, battling relegated teams from the Premier League. Get promoted and take your chances, you just might stay up - look at Forest last season. Even if you go up then back down, you will be in a far better position than if you had stayed down in the first place.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

No, can't go for this 'better off not going up' idea. Can be a nightmare getting stuck in the Championship, battling relegated teams from the Premier League. Get promoted and take your chances, you just might stay up - look at Forest last season. Even if you go up then back down, you will be in a far better position than if you had stayed down in the first place.

Not to mention the cash.

There is not a single person involved with Ipswich who would think, yeah not going up this season might be the best thing.    

17 hours ago, CheeseHead said:

17 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Not to mention the cash.

There is not a single person involved with Ipswich who would think, yeah not going up this season might be the best thing.    

don’t get me wrong, you always go for it. I’m not saying that you don’t. You never know what will happen to derail you and for them it would likely be mckenna leaving. 

Just that overall, if they had one more year of building at this level they’d have the chance to go up with a team like brentford did, perhaps with a few more gems in the side (then they currently have).

I don’t think they’d be doing the same as forest and wrecklessly throwing money at it… so they’d end up going to man city with a player like harness. 

We were very lucky that after we lost in the playoffs we didn’t lose a single key player or staff member. But that’s rare 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1