Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LFEFox23

Season 24/25

Just now, westernpark said:

Yes I don’t want him here next season but the poster has categorised players as being of Premier League standard, Championship, young prospects and simply no good. I believe Albrighton to be of championship standard.

OK

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, danny. said:

I'm not sure Mavididi or Fatawu are EPL quality, I think the majority of Mavididi's goals wouldn't have gone in against a EPL defence/keeper. Also players that previously performed in the EPL have gotten older so it's hard to say if they are still good enough, despite looking good against Championship teams. For example Vestergaard looks great, but you haven't included him, who is to say Ricardo, Ndidi or Justin would be able to perform to the same level in the EPL? There were certainly many poor performances across the whole team during 22/23.

could not disagree more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Koke said:

No way we can conclusively say Faes is PL quality. Neither is KDH. Maybe as squad players coming off the bench but definitely not as starters. 

That's argument works both way you can't conclusively stay they aren't.

KDH has 51 PL starts across 2 seasons, including 23 in a season we finished 8th.

I'd argue his also developed his game significantly and is become a leader in the side. He is likely to eclipse Maddison championships stats from the season before we brought him (14 G, 8 A).

Faes has now become a regular in the Belgium national team and was a breath of fresh when he arrived helping us have a decent run in the PL of 5 W 1 D and 3 L.

Also under a coach who's committed and want to be here, rather than Rodgers.

I pretty confident we have a decent core of players in KDH, Faes, Ricardo, Justin and Daka who can perform in the PL. Add to that Ndidi if he signs an Extension.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

At the start of a new season, particularly if you have been promoted, it is often the way you start off with those players who helped gain promotion (it's a great pity it doesn't happen in reverse).

Obviously, that does not mean all those players are good enough for the step up.

The manager will, hopefully, have some idea who will make the grade after all that is part of his job.

Without doubt we will need to strength as well can all see the gulf between the Championship and Premier leagues.

Edited by David Hankey

22 minutes ago, Lionator said:

could not disagree more.

Absolutely. They've still got half a season to progress and fully integrate into a Maresca system. Both are young and capable of a lot of improvement. It would make a change next time in the Premiership to have a potential threat from both wings. We may also recruit further individuals that will complement them also.

Good thread - but probably shows why we should just enjoy the next 5 months even more - my opinion here will just sound negative but ill give it anyway

I do not want to think of this team in the Prem- would be a miracle not to finish bottom 3

Only current Prem quality players are potentially Hermansen, Ricky, Justin, Winks, KDH- and thats being positive - if the keeper plays the 1 or 2 hospital balls he does every game in the prem they wont miss, can Ricky and Justins bodies deal with the pace of the Prem after the Injuries?, Winks is a beautiful footballer but is he to lightweight for the Prem now?, KDH has the energy but his distribution is questionable even at this level

Mavidid, Fatawu and Akgun could all be good enough given the chance but could also easily be nowhere near it- Jury is out on those 3 but its possible they could cut it

On previous showing last year Faes, Ndidi, Ihenacho, Vardy, Daka, Praet, coady are no where near good enough and Vesty, albrighton, mcateer have no chance

I go back to where I started - this team has been built to get us out of this league and what a job they are doing of it- coached superbly and even though its not always been pretty they are miles and miles above the rest at this level- but that is this level

The difference in quality between the championship and Prem is beyond huge- I trust the gaffer to know what will be needed to have a good crack at staying up next year but id expect a huge squad shift again in the summer- yes because of contract situations but mostly im hoping because he knows we would need to majorly strengthen

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LFEFox23 said:

I think Vardy can offer us one more season in the prem, not as a starter but impact sub... His experience could be crucial.

Don't think people realise how much influence JV has on and off the pitch.

Vardy is in serious decline, year on year.  This year, he can still torture some Championship defenses.  Next year??

It's hard to believe he'd accept a one year contract from anyone.  It's time we give him our blessing to had to the states (or even Saudi) for ,his last payday to refill the coffers depleted by Rebekah.  It would be suicidal of the club to dedicate 10% of the payroll to Vardy's 38 and 39 year old seasons.

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

KDH has 51 PL starts across 2 seasons, including 23 in a season we finished 8th.

I'd argue his also develop his game significantly and is become a leader in the side. He is likely to eclipse Maddison championships stats from the season before we brought him (14 G, 8 A).

Faes has now become a regular in the Belgium national team and was a breath of fresh when he arrived help us have a decent run in the PL of 5 W 1 D and 3 L when he arrived in the summer.

I pretty confident we have a decent core of players in KDH, Faes, Ricardo, Justin and Daka who can perform in the PL. Add to that Ndidi if he signs an Extension.

I agree but also, outside of a top few teams, you could argue that quite a number of players in the other teams fall into the catagory of Premiership/Championship standard. 

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

I agree but also, outside of a top few teams, you could argue that quite a number of players in the other teams fall into the catagory of Premiership/Championship standard. 

100% it's about have enough of a PL standard in the squad and fit.

We have a core which we need to add too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jv1 said:

Good thread - but probably shows why we should just enjoy the next 5 months even more - my opinion here will just sound negative but ill give it anyway

I do not want to think of this team in the Prem- would be a miracle not to finish bottom 3

Only current Prem quality players are potentially Hermansen, Ricky, Justin, Winks, KDH- and thats being positive - if the keeper plays the 1 or 2 hospital balls he does every game in the prem they wont miss, can Ricky and Justins bodies deal with the pace of the Prem after the Injuries?, Winks is a beautiful footballer but is he to lightweight for the Prem now?, KDH has the energy but his distribution is questionable even at this level

Mavidid, Fatawu and Akgun could all be good enough given the chance but could also easily be nowhere near it- Jury is out on those 3 but its possible they could cut it

On previous showing last year Faes, Ndidi, Ihenacho, Vardy, Daka, Praet, coady are no where near good enough and Vesty, albrighton, mcateer have no chance

I go back to where I started - this team has been built to get us out of this league and what a job they are doing of it- coached superbly and even though its not always been pretty they are miles and miles above the rest at this level- but that is this level

The difference in quality between the championship and Prem is beyond huge- I trust the gaffer to know what will be needed to have a good crack at staying up next year but id expect a huge squad shift again in the summer- yes because of contract situations but mostly im hoping because he knows we would need to majorly strengthen

Whilst it would be a struggle perhaps, certainly this season there have been some quite poor Premiership teams imo. 

Three things spring to mind though. 

1. We have another half a system for some of our younger players to improve both physically and tactically. 

2. As you rightly mention, Maresca will no doubt be allowed to add to the squad as we rid ourselves of others.

3. Let's not forget that last year was not necessarily all down to the players some of which we retain. A much larger problem was an inept manager who employed poor tactics, consistently played round pegs in square holes, made bizarre substitutions and refused to budge because it was all down to the players, owners, supporters and even the weather. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Peformance of some of the "Prem Quality - Think they will / or have previously made the step up"  lot the last time they were in the PL speaks otherwise too.

I'm not sure we can judge the players off last season as Rodgers went into full sabotage mode. I'd like to think Enzo could continue to get the best out of some of these players but we certainly would need to sign several new players if we go up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I'd argue his also developed his game significantly and is become a leader in the side. He is likely to eclipse Maddison championships stats from the season before we brought him (14 G, 8 A).

Faes has now become a regular in the Belgium national team and was a breath of fresh when he arrived helping us have a decent run in the PL of 5 W 1 D and 3 L.

Also under a coach who's committed and want to be here, rather than Rodgers.

He certainly looks like he has been told not to keep diving in all the time this season and looks a far better player for it.  He is a league lower this season so we will have to wait and see if he can be a Prem player next season but he was certainly a weak link last season after Christmas.

11 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

He certainly looks like he has been told not to keep diving in all the time this season and looks a far better player for it.  He is a league lower this season so we will have to wait and see if he can be a Prem player next season but he was certainly a weak link last season after Christmas.

His has all the physical attributes to be a good defender at PL level.

The challenge is to improve his concentration, positional sense and decision making.

Last year is a little be of a write off, a terrible keeper makes defender nervous and as a unit we were poorly coached and often had a poor defensive structure.

Enzo prides himself on the team being well structured which will help.

• Like 1

I don’t think we can read as much as we are doing into performances last season. We were a team bereft of confidence and direction. Some players, who are clearly PL quality, failed to perform in that team. 

I’m reasonably confident that Justin, Ricardo, Winks, KDH, Ndidi are all PL standard. 

I feel like Faes and Hermansen have all the attributes to play at that level in a confident, well coached team. I’d also like another look at Vesty there as everything he’s done this season has challenged previous thinking.

The don’t know pile for me is: Doyle, Mavididi, Fatawu and Akgun, but definitely they’re all worth places in the squad. Fatawu, in particular, probably shouldn’t be given the responsibility of being the main winger, but has years ahead of him to make the grade. 

I’d probably add Vardy and Nacho on to the move on pile. Vards for reasons discussed in the other thread and Ian because I just think we should move on from him now. He’s not a player I’d want to rely on

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bert said:

Albrighton is better than Vardy? Come on. Have a day off. That something that someone would say that doesn’t watch the club a lot. 

Albrighton aged 34 vs Vards aged 38 for a full 90 in the prem? I know who I’m picking..

It depends on scenario but all I’m saying is Albrighton shouldn’t be in the ‘rubbish - get rid’ category when Vardy’s in the ‘Premier League quality’ category, neglecting the fact that Sharky has ‘made the step up’ before.

Edited by niyaminski

I'm more worried about whether this style of play will work in the prem. I know i'm probably gonna get shot to bits saying it with the enzo love in that's going on, but we are not man city. I do worry whether this team even with additions are going to be able to make this style of football work at that level.

Edited by TheLittleBigMan

7 hours ago, LFEFox23 said:

Hi All, 

I don't want to look to far ahead YET.... But wanted your thoughts on our current first team squad and who you thought would be good enough to step up SHOULD we achieve promotion.

My thoughts below  -

Prem Quality - Think they will / or have previously made the step up

Hermansen

Faes

Justin

Doyle

Ricardo

Winks

KDH

Ndidi

Mavididi 

Fatawu 

Vardy

Nacho

High end Championship level player - not sure if they can step up / Past it

Coady

Souttar

Vestergaard

Casadei

Choudhury

Praet

Daka

Akgun

McAteer

Stolarczyk

Youth prospects - To early to judge

Marcal

Cannon

Nelson

No good - Get Rid!

Ward

Smithies

Iversen

Albrighton

You got Praet and Albrighton the wrong way around mate

38 minutes ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

I'm more worried about whether this style of play will work in the prem. I know i'm probably gonna get shot to bits saying it with the enzo love in that's going on, but we are not man city. I do worry whether this team even with additions are going to be able to make this style of football work at that level.

I non ironically think we will finish top 4 next season. HMS Piss the Premier League

• Like 1

I do think Faes is underrated  by some of our fans. Last season he had Dan the donkey next to him. Also had full backs  in castagne,that could leave more holes than a M16, very young and weak Thomas and a raw kristienson. Combine that  with an out of form Ndidi and a half arsed tielemans in front of him. 

You could have put , any of Adams,stam,butcher in there and they would have looked poorer than they really are. 

• Like 1

KDH and Winks are PL quality. There are very few teams over the last 20 years who have got promoted with two players of their quality already in the team. I think we need to invest in a third to complement both. 

Fatawu can and will only get better. I think some do not realise the quality of player we have on our hands who, if managed properly could be a potential hefty sale in a few years. 

Stephy has shown during this Christmas period his quality IF he can maintain a consistent level. Something I think he struggles with. His ability to perform in the PL will heavily depend on his ability to deliver, consistently. 

I worry about our CB pairing. Neither possess great leadership and we simply cannot enter the PL with both starting - we need a good quality player next to one of them if we are going to start with one. 

I think we will be competitive in the PL but for us to be really competitive I think we need to secure Fatawu on a perm, sign a CM, CB and striker. I think we’ll get 2 of those done given the potential cost involved. 

• Like 2

Unlikely but let's assume everyone that's out of contract, stays on with a new deal, the loans become permanent,we would still need at least 6 players who are better than what we have now.

I'd get rid of Iheanacho and Daka, they just can't do it consistently. 

8 hours ago, Tommy G said:

The poster stated IF WE GO UP. 

If we are a premier league team next season we shouldn't have Albrighton on our books, it's an emotional decision. I love the bloke like the next LCFC fan, but there is no reason to keep him, he just isn't good enough. 

Some people would still want Steve Walsh on the books 

I can absolutely and categorically confirm I still would have Steve Walsh on the books. 

• Haha 1

I'd be happy with a squad next year of:

Hermansen, Stolaryczyk 

Ricardo, Justin, Faes, Coady, Vestegaard

Hamza, Winks, KDH, Yunus, Ndidi

Fatawu, Mavididi, McAteer

Daka, Cannon.

A new starting CB to come in for Vesty

A new lcb/lb

A new fb to tuck into midfield ala Ricardo.

2 new Central Midfielders (Wouldn't mind one of these being this Jan)

1 new Winger

New starting CF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

KDH and Winks are PL quality. There are very few teams over the last 20 years who have got promoted with two players of their quality already in the team. I think we need to invest in a third to complement both. 

Fatawu can and will only get better. I think some do not realise the quality of player we have on our hands who, if managed properly could be a potential hefty sale in a few years. 

Stephy has shown during this Christmas period his quality IF he can maintain a consistent level. Something I think he struggles with. His ability to perform in the PL will heavily depend on his ability to deliver, consistently. 

I worry about our CB pairing. Neither possess great leadership and we simply cannot enter the PL with both starting - we need a good quality player next to one of them if we are going to start with one. 

I think we will be competitive in the PL but for us to be really competitive I think we need to secure Fatawu on a perm, sign a CM, CB and striker. I think we’ll get 2 of those done given the potential cost involved. 

Agree with all of this