Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

LCFC 3-2 Millwall - FA Cup - Post Match Thread

43 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Wouldn't mind a test of the style vs a lower half prem side 

I think a very good cup run is almost necessary this season so we can test ourselves against better opposition, usually if we are in a relegation scrap or like now fighting for promotion I’d say sod the cup and get the business done in the league, but we have the breathing room to really focus on both this season and I think it’s important we are able to test out the system against better teams to see how we fair. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You said we are terrible, I asked how we compare to the rest of the league.

Terrible would be the worse in the league, we have concede 8, which is the 7th worst, but only 1 more than middle table.

The best two team are Leeds and Hull on 4.

If you had said it was our biggest weakness rather the terrible I would have agree.

The problem with that stat is that we've only conceded 18 goals in total - so 44% of the goals we've conceded are from set pieces.  So, yeah, it's not costing us much, but it's clearly an issue - blackburn have only conceded 6% of their goals from set pieces.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

They were comfortably better than us and created loads of good chances, do they not know how to square the ball in the box? Would have had a number of tap ins if so. Decent finishing and also got their keeper, shark itch, to thank. But a second string team who barely seemed bothered into the next round, cannot ask for much more.

Which kind of negates your opening comment.

They moved the ball quickly and found spaces but they were rotten in the final third and they were horrible defensively.  Comfortably better is an absurd statement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

The problem with that stat is that we've only conceded 18 goals in total - so 44% of the goals we've conceded are from set pieces.  So, yeah, it's not costing us much, but it's clearly an issue - blackburn have only conceded 6% of their goals from set pieces.

Well pointed out. Conceding 44% of goals at set pieces is under performing. We're no longer a small team either like perhaps has been the case at times under Rodgers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Cannon could very well be the undoing of Daka right when he looks to have shown some ability, shame really but Cannon looks like a very very good prospect. Can see Cannon starting every week now and nobody else getting a sniff if he keeps delivering 

Makes you think really what Daka and cannon would play like if Enzo played the 2 upfront, they could really cause defences some real problems ?

10 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think a very good cup run is almost necessary this season so we can test ourselves against better opposition, usually if we are in a relegation scrap or like now fighting for promotion I’d say sod the cup and get the business done in the league, but we have the breathing room to really focus on both this season and I think it’s important we are able to test out the system against better teams to see how we fair. 

I see your point - but if we're in the PL next year we'll more than likely have different players involved and half a season and a second pre-season under our belts, so what little it might show us is immaterial.

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

But you can swing that and say wow Blackburn have concede 94% from open play.

A set pieces goal is worth no more than an open play goal.

I'm not saying it not a area we need to improve, but some people are overreact saying it's terrible.

No, the point is that we're conceding far more goals from set pieces as a percentage of total goals than any other team - thus, it is a problem. 

No spin, just a fact.

• Like 1

Just now, Lillehamring said:

No, the point is that we're conceding far more goals from set pieces as a percentage of total goals than any other team - thus, it is a problem. 

No spin, just a fact.

We have the best defence in the league is also a fact.

No goal is worth more then another, fact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Was the penalty decision near the end as bad as it looked from the stand?

The view from one angle made it look very soft - it was a hand to the back more than a shove, maybe cannon's momentum made him stumble. Had it been given against us, i'd have been fuming.

27 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You said we are terrible, I asked how we compare to the rest of the league.

Terrible would be the worse in the league, we have concede 8, which is the 7th worst, but only 1 more than middle table.

The best two team are Leeds and Hull on 4.

If you had said it was our biggest weakness rather the terrible I would have agree.

Stats for Championship are in here.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/championship-stats-2023-24-opta/

8 conceded from set plays - worst record inside the top 8. 

• Sad 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

100% this.  We have defenders playing in a system where the strength is in preventing opportunities from open play which are minimal. Do we want to sacrifice training in this area for more set-piece work?  I would argue that as long as we have the tightest defence in the league then keep going as we are.

16 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Which kind of negates your opening comment.

They moved the ball quickly and found spaces but they were rotten in the final third and they were horrible defensively.  Comfortably better is an absurd statement.

Yeh fine, football is about scoring goals, and they did not enough score goals.

I don't think they were 'horrible' defensively at all, that is a really biased comment. Their keeper was but Flemming looked decent.

Comfortably better than us, until they reached the box. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

But you wanted to know how we compared to the other teams in the league, and we're considerably worse - almost half our goals conceded have been from a set piece - as such, we are ranked #23 for conceding from set pieces, only Cardiff seem to be worse than us.  For the best defence in the league, that is terrible.  When you've played 26 games and only conceded 10 goals from open play, to have conceded 8 from set pieces is terrible. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

No spin, just a fact.

I smoke cigarettes far more when at the pub with my friend who smokes, as a total percentage of cigarettes I smoke. Thus going to the pub with my friend who smokes is a problem? Of course it isn't, I see him once or twice a year and maybe have a few puffs. You're taking the highest % figure of a record low number.

We have the lowest goals conceded in the league and Vesty is our first choice CB!

Lies damned lies and statistics, what you're saying is clearly spin.

• Like 2

I'm not sure the percentage of overall goals conceded from set pieces is the most useful stat - a team with a very good record from open play is always going to have a greater proportion of goals against being set pieces. The most useful measure of set piece defending would be number of set pieces faced Vs goals conceded from set pieces. I would expect that would still be bad, mind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

100% this.  We have defenders playing in a system where the strength is in preventing opportunities from open play which are minimal. Do we want to sacrifice training in this area for more set-piece work?  I would argue that as long as we have the tightest defence in the league then keep going as we are.

I'm not sure it's a 'sacrifice' to spend time improving the weakest areas of your game.  We're clearly comfortable defending in open play, we don't really need practice that area, so surely we've plenty of time to practice defending set pieces?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

But you wanted to know how we compared to the other teams in the league, and we're considerably worse - almost half our goals conceded have been from a set piece - as such, we are ranked #23 for conceding from set pieces, only Cardiff seem to be worse than us.  For the best defence in the league, that is terrible.  When you've played 26 games and only conceded 10 goals from open play, to have conceded 8 from set pieces is terrible. 

No we aren't and Cardiff are better than us

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh fine, football is about scoring goals, and they did not enough score goals.

I don't think they were 'horrible' defensively at all, that is a really biased comment. Their keeper was but Flemming looked decent.

Comfortably better than us, until they reached the box. 

I can only say what i see - and i thought we carved them open most times we got the ball.  But sure, i could have been more specific, they didn't defend well as a team though they had individuals who made key stops. 

Still can't justify the idea that they were 'comfortably better'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

By turning it into a % or overall goals to match you narrative.

lol

Edited by coolhandfox

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

No we aren't and Cardiff are better than us

Oops, my bad i refreshed the page and it switched to 'For' rather than against with Cardiff.

So then we are 24th and worst - no one i can see has conceded a higher percentage than 44% of their total goals from set pieces