Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

LCFC 3-2 Millwall - FA Cup - Post Match Thread

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

But you wanted to know how we compared to the other teams in the league, and we're considerably worse - almost half our goals conceded have been from a set piece - as such, we are ranked #23 for conceding from set pieces, only Cardiff seem to be worse than us.  For the best defence in the league, that is terrible.  When you've played 26 games and only conceded 10 goals from open play, to have conceded 8 from set pieces is terrible. 

I read the same drivel from posters defending our appalling set piece defending under Rodgers until we finally started struggling in the league and it became to them a major issue. Its not good enough currently and we have 5 months to sort it before we have our kegs pulled down in the Prem.

• Like 1

I've seen quite a lot of people moaning about defending against set pieces.

When defending against set pieces you're very much playing as a unit where everyone has a job to do that works with everyone else, who they need to know what they're doing. This comes easier the more you play together.

This team doesn't regularly play together.

It's not something to worry about, it's a normal effect of putting together players that don't get much game time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Oops, my bad i refreshed the page and it switched to 'For' rather than against with Cardiff.

So then we are 24th and worst - no one i can see has conceded a higher percentage than 44% of their total goals from set pieces

That's fairly simplistic though, you then have to start gauging amount of set pieces given away etc. Also conceding most of your goals from set pieces doesn't mean you're the worst in the league at defending them. Not saying we are any good mind.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I read the same drivel from posters defending our appalling set piece defending under Rodgers until we finally started struggling in the league and it became to them a major issue. Its not good enough currently and we have 5 months to sort it before we have our kegs pulled down in the Prem.

And yet Bournemouth stayed up being the worst and Brentford finished 9th being worst then us.

Everton were 4th best but finish just above us.

The major issue was conceding to many goals, not the type of goal.

Can we be better? Yes.

Would it help? Yes.

But there is bit of an over reaction.

20240106_163323.thumb.jpg.4e194306e1227d9db2deaa7c060f0b0f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We will have our kegs pulled down in far more ways than set pieces from August onward if the current pattern of play persists. We give up a decent number of chances from open play and are very casual at the back with the ball. It does not get highlighted because the standard in this league is shocking.

We also create huge numbers of chances and do not score enough of them, again not highlighted because we win every week and it does not matter.

I am not Pat Nevin so have not got an armoury of stats to back that up before anyone chimes in. Our xG might well be lower than our actual number of goals. If so, fair enough.

You are concentrating on the issue most blatant on front of your eyes, when there appears to me to be far more pressing issues to resolve.

that was a very Vardy-esque performance by Cannon. Silent for 15 minutes then Boom. Out of nowhere he takes his chance. Some great moments of running off the back of the defender  too and that chance on 68 minutes would have gone in had it not been saved.

Very promising indeed.  He’ll get better too with more games..

• Like 1

Not seen any of the match but three beautiful goals, crosses, forward passes and play of old!

I'm not saying this aimed in any way critical of this season  because we've been doing it throughout but its incredible what you can create and do when you play forwards, vertically opposed to sideways and horizontal isn't it. Far more positive!

Long ball or long pass? :dunno::ph34r:lol Whatever terminology you want to use it was great to see.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

We have the best defensive record in the league but we all know we are poor at defending set pieces especially corners. We just have to work to work on that - maybe go back to good old fashioned marking a man a piece. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've seen quite a lot of people moaning about defending against set pieces.

When defending against set pieces you're very much playing as a unit where everyone has a job to do that works with everyone else, who they need to know what they're doing. This comes easier the more you play together.

This team doesn't regularly play together.

It's not something to worry about, it's a normal effect of putting together players that don't get much game time.

It's been not much better recently for our preferred XI.

11 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Need to sort out set pieces badly. I wonder what the percentage of goals we've shipped so far this season have come from them?

Got to be 90% and the other 10% are from poor goalkeeper distribution or a deflection off a defender lol

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Made hard work of it towards the end but good to see some good performances and minutes for squad players

Who do we want next round then?

Everton/ Palace winner, Wolves or Forest 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I smoke cigarettes far more when at the pub with my friend who smokes, as a total percentage of cigarettes I smoke. Thus going to the pub with my friend who smokes is a problem? Of course it isn't, I see him once or twice a year and maybe have a few puffs. You're taking the highest % figure of a record low number.

We have the lowest goals conceded in the league and Vesty is our first choice CB!

Lies damned lies and statistics, what you're saying is clearly spin.

Well, to extend your example: if 44% of the drink you have is whisky - you have a problem ;)

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

By turning it into a % or overall goals to match you narrative.

lol

What!  I don't have a narrative - i'm just saying that if you compare the goals as a numeric value it seems normal, but if you look at the amount of set piece goals we concede relative to the total amount of goals we concede, it's a really high number, i higher number than anyone else - i have no narrative - you asked how it compares to other teams, and compared to other teams we concede a relatively high number of set piece goals. 

Jeez... wish i hadn't bothered answering your query.

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

That's fairly simplistic though, you then have to start gauging amount of set pieces given away etc. Also conceding most of your goals from set pieces doesn't mean you're the worst in the league at defending them. Not saying we are any good mind.

Sure, it's only a general picture of the situation - but clearly for a team that is so strong defensively, we shouldn't be ranked so poorly for a defensive element.  10 goals conceded in open play, 8 from set pieces - that's way out of proportion and clearly an area where we can improve measurably - especially when we rarely concede more than one goal per match. It cost us points at boro and leeds.