Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Coventry Away

7 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

It really is a terrible ground when you think about the simple logistic things that make going the game enjoyable. Miles outside of the city centre, no pubs, flat pack ground, silly ticket pricing. You could easily make the case that it's the worst in the football league for fans. 

Coventry have been down to the fourth tier of English football and have had to play home games in Northampton and Birmingham and yet I still think them leaving Highfield Road for their current stadium is the worst thing that has happened to them (I know those things are actually linked btw). They had a ground with character near the city centre and traded it in for a flat pack stadium miles outside the city next to a retail park. It's the equivalent to if our ground was at Fosse Park. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s very hard for me to treat this like a Derby. It’s a local game, so you want the win but very much another game for me. 

I don’t think Ive known a cov fan, ever. Coventry as a city is pretty shit. As a team, during my years of supporting Leicester they’ve either been on par or far worse than us. We beat them often. It’s similar to games against Derby for me. another game/team I can’t treat as a pure Derby. Just can’t treat it any different because they’re usually beneath us on various aspects. 

When you compare it to Forest for me. I have many friends who are Forest fans. When I got into football Forest were very good. We were ok. I can remember 1 win at the City Ground in my entire time of supporting Leicester (probably more but only the Knockaert goal one I can recall), even when they were shit. Good history. Decent city. So much more to hate.

Lets just beat them and add to the gap. 

I grew up in Wigston. I didn't know a single Forest, Coventry or Derby fan growing up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s very hard for me to treat this like a Derby. It’s a local game, so you want the win but very much another game for me. 

I don’t think Ive known a cov fan, ever. Coventry as a city is pretty shit. As a team, during my years of supporting Leicester they’ve either been on par or far worse than us. We beat them often. It’s similar to games against Derby for me. another game/team I can’t treat as a pure Derby. Just can’t treat it any different because they’re usually beneath us on various aspects. 

When you compare it to Forest for me. I have many friends who are Forest fans. When I got into football Forest were very good. We were ok. I can remember 1 win at the City Ground in my entire time of supporting Leicester (probably more but only the Knockaert goal one I can recall), even when they were shit. Good history. Decent city. So much more to hate.

Lets just beat them and add to the gap. 

you werent at the city ground for the heart attack replay game then? Sheehan free kick? wow what a game. we ran west bridgford amok that day. battered sausages AOTS

I've been going since the 70's (as a teenager) and Cov was always a bit of a laugh. No one took them seriously, other than the Noel Cantwell thing, but we all went as it was local. Derby pretty much the same eventhough they were the darlings of Central TV sport and always seemed to be on Star Soccer. Notts Forest on the other hand was different, more menancing, more watch-your-back type of place and was, without doubt, the big regional rivalry until they struck up a love affair with Derby (which was much later). Older fans will confirm this, it passed down to me by my Dad and uncles. 

6 minutes ago, tylesta said:

Sky blues talk is a good

Leicester and their desperation for derbies. Notts F, Derby, Cov… anyone… please be a Derby team. No one cares about them. My old man played for Leicester and even he doesn’t like them 😂

No one cares for us, then states is dad even hates us

I’ve never really got this. 

It would only ever be a club in real decline where their fans have to define themselves by their rivalries. Derby and Forest fans have been trotting this shite out for years as we surpassed them both and went off winning trophies. 

I don’t really give any of them much thought outside the games where we actually play them. If we “don’t have any rivals” I couldn’t care less. I just want to beat them at the weekend and not give them another thought for the rest of the season - as I haven’t for the last 10 seasons or more 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Brooksy said:

There's a post on there that said he wouldn't swap their last 10 years for ours. 

That is especially bizarre. There were times in that decade where they genuinely looked like their club could cease to exist. We have become more sanitised in part because we have had success over the past decade. The same would happen to them. Are they essentially saying that they never want success? 

35 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I've been going since the 70's (as a teenager) and Cov was always a bit of a laugh. No one took them seriously, other than the Noel Cantwell thing, but we all went as it was local. Derby pretty much the same eventhough they were the darlings of Central TV sport and always seemed to be on Star Soccer. Notts Forest on the other hand was different, more menancing, more watch-your-back type of place and was, without doubt, the big regional rivalry until they struck up a love affair with Derby (which was much later). Older fans will confirm this, it passed down to me by my Dad and uncles. 

Definitely agree with the Cov and Forest bit.      Cov hadn't ever been in the top flight until 1967, so most Leicester fans just considered them a joke.   (although worth pointing out that most folk from SW Leicestershire saw it differently, as it fair enough).

Not totally re Derby ... they had won the league in 72 and 75 so they were half-decent and worthy of a bit of "respect".    Plus the fact that the Baseball ground was a much better atmosphere than Forest or Cov.   Really tight ground, hemmed in by terrace houses, and a covered away end.   Much more fun than what became the open away ends at Forest and Cov.

Forest, as you say, was the big rivalry that had developed during the 1960's (when Derby were nothing), when the zigger-zagger fan culture, football hooliganism and everything got going.     It was only really after Brian Clough moved to Forest and started doing well, that the real love affair between the 2 of them began.   Consider this: When Forest got back into the old 1st Div after a 6 year absence, they won their first 2 matches and were flying high.  Their 3rd match was home to Derby which attracted a crowd of less than 29000 in a ground that held 49000.  Forest doing well that season started the "rivalry", which is fair enough, as they are quite close together.    And we were totally sh*t that year and for quite a few after, so their main rivalry shifted.    

(Rivalry often doesn't stay the same over time, unless it's a totally obvious 1-on-1 like Newcastle and Sunderland.)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gerard said:

For anyone who can't get a ticket

image.thumb.png.e8848c16d46211d96866599f5b52aa65.png

I think it is definitely a cruel and selfish idea to book loads of these tickets for free and not turn up.

No one should do that.

• Haha 2

I'm from the south of the county so you hate them. One thing I rate is there is no pretend bullshit with them, their over 60's hate villa and anyone under that hates us. They are very open about the hate and no faux feelings act.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I'm from the south of the county so you hate them. One thing I rate is there is no pretend bullshit with them, their over 60's hate villa and anyone under that hates us. They are very open about the hate and no faux feelings act.

Very correct. 

Equally totally get why people who work or live in the North of the county hate Forest.

That and I still say Leicester v Forest is a city v city derby for the best of the region. Both cities and counties live in isolation really. Whereas Derbys and Notts is far more interwoven (bar possibly Derbyshire folk over the Peaks). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Yeah absolutely. They hate us so much. It’s funny because they are such a nothing club 

I'm from Lutterworth originally and hated the pale blue filth  as there were some real inbred scum at school who were Kov.   I still despite the city and would love to see them back in the 4th tier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I've never really thought of Coventry as rivals particularly. Never been bothered about Derby either. Forest have always been the big rivals for me

They’re not to me either.  Funnily enough went on Sky Blues Talk forum and they started their Leicester thread earlier than we started our equivalent and they slated us straight away; never realised a club who has never really won anything could despise us that much 😂

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Coventry have been down to the fourth tier of English football and have had to play home games in Northampton and Birmingham and yet I still think them leaving Highfield Road for their current stadium is the worst thing that has happened to them (I know those things are actually linked btw). They had a ground with character near the city centre and traded it in for a flat pack stadium miles outside the city next to a retail park. It's the equivalent to if our ground was at Fosse Park. 

Last time the idea was mooted, there were a worrying number of people on here and in the wider fanbase who said they'd be in favour of us moving to the Fosse Park area. Usually based on some ill-conceived belief that it'd be easier to park there, which for anyone who's actually been at the weekend will tell you is laughable.

Cov (or MK Dons for anyone who's been) should be cautionary tales for anybody who thinks it would be anything but detrimental to the matchday ritual. I guess at least you'd have the Everards brewery nearby for a pint though, who I'm sure would be delighted at the prospect of 30,000 Leicester fans mobbing their bar due to lack of alternatives. lol

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

I went to University with someone from Lutterworth. They went to Cov away games but was a Leicester fan, had the feeling he would have supported whoever was doing best at the time of his formative years.

Absolute gold from the Cov forum from the esteemed Porkysmurf:

It sounds crazy, but I genuinely would not swap our last 10 years for theirs. The League Two and League One promotion seasons were the most enjoyable I've had following this club ever*. Got to visit so many grounds we'd have otherwise never had the chance to. In that time our home and away support has grown massively. We get praise wherever we travel and I've lost count of the amount of fans who have said our home support is the best they've seen for many years.

Compare that to Leicester's sterilised day-tripping happy clappy shit fans. 95% of their stadium was mute at their place earlier this season until they piped up for 5 minutes after their second. No thanks.

*Obviously 90% of this forum were not here back then, so you'll have to trust me on this.

He makes a compelling case.  I mean who would want Championship title followed by the great escape, the miracle of Premier League title, Champion's League football, Europa League, The FA Cup, The Charity Shield and now HMS PTL when you could have a decade scraping around the hinterlands of the lower leagues and totally forgotten about by the footballing world at large?  Life's just not fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not playing any card. I legitimately don't give a shit about Coventry. 

Growing up in North Leics I had no idea Coventry were even supposed to be our rivals until probably at least my late teens. Took going to uni in London with a Cov fan to realise they gave a shit about us and even then they care far more about other West Mids clubs than us as far as I could tell. 

Then we got stuck in the second tier with them, Forest had gone down (btw anyone ever notice they only started "not caring about Leicester" sometime in like their 57573637475th season in the League One wilderness), Villa in the Prem, suddenly Sky and everyone got to pump a narrative and find a "dErBy" for everyone to get pumped up and give a shit about. 

Honestly, any of the old crew give a shit about Coventry or it just a new thing? 

I care far more about us beating Leeds and Sunderland than Cov and that's just because those two have really weirdly annoying fanbases that think they're massive, not because I think it's any kind of rivalry. 

Despised them since 1969.

They have an annoying weird fanbase'