Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Coventry Away

Guest glasgowfox

Whoever was responsible for choosing to build the M69 to allow the cov maggots to escape easier wants shooting :dunno:

58 minutes ago, murphy said:

He makes a compelling case.  I mean who would want Championship title followed by the great escape, the miracle of Premier League title…

Yeh, I kinda think he does. 

I know exactly where he’s coming from. 

38 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I think they are harmless. I like them not liking us. But I actually quite like them - they've been through the ringer these last 20 years and come out of it fairly well. 

Mods!!!!!!! Life time ban please.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Absolute gold from the Cov forum from the esteemed Porkysmurf:

It sounds crazy, but I genuinely would not swap our last 10 years for theirs. The League Two and League One promotion seasons were the most enjoyable I've had following this club ever*. Got to visit so many grounds we'd have otherwise never had the chance to. In that time our home and away support has grown massively. We get praise wherever we travel and I've lost count of the amount of fans who have said our home support is the best they've seen for many years.

Compare that to Leicester's sterilised day-tripping happy clappy shit fans. 95% of their stadium was mute at their place earlier this season until they piped up for 5 minutes after their second. No thanks.

*Obviously 90% of this forum were not here back then, so you'll have to trust me on this.

He makes a compelling case.  I mean who would want Championship title followed by the great escape, the miracle of Premier League title, Champion's League football, Europa League, The FA Cup, The Charity Shield and now HMS PTL when you could have a decade scraping around the hinterlands of the lower leagues and totally forgotten about by the footballing world at large?  Life's just not fair.

Drugs are very, very bad for you....

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Yeh, I kinda think he does. 

I know exactly where he’s coming from. 

Oh I wish we were far less sanitised, for sure. However, there's no way I'd trade seeing is win the biggest honours in English football, seeing Andrea Bocelli sing at our ground, european trips and seeing top class players for near extinction, home games in Northampton, home games in Birmingham, league Two and league one promotions and a play-off final defeat. 

• Like 3

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Oh I wish we were far less sanitised, for sure. However, there's no way I'd trade seeing is win the biggest honours in English football, seeing Andrea Bocelli sing at our ground, european trips and seeing top class players for near extinction, home games in Northampton, home games in Birmingham, league Two and league one promotions and a play-off final defeat. 

League 1 remains my favourite season. Puts me at odds with most on here, but then I also enjoy a good stand and chant so I’m probably not representative of a Leicester fan anymore :whistle::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Definitely agree with the Cov and Forest bit.      Cov hadn't ever been in the top flight until 1967, so most Leicester fans just considered them a joke.   (although worth pointing out that most folk from SW Leicestershire saw it differently, as it fair enough).

Not totally re Derby ... they had won the league in 72 and 75 so they were half-decent and worthy of a bit of "respect".    Plus the fact that the Baseball ground was a much better atmosphere than Forest or Cov.   Really tight ground, hemmed in by terrace houses, and a covered away end.   Much more fun than what became the open away ends at Forest and Cov.

Forest, as you say, was the big rivalry that had developed during the 1960's (when Derby were nothing), when the zigger-zagger fan culture, football hooliganism and everything got going.     It was only really after Brian Clough moved to Forest and started doing well, that the real love affair between the 2 of them began.   Consider this: When Forest got back into the old 1st Div after a 6 year absence, they won their first 2 matches and were flying high.  Their 3rd match was home to Derby which attracted a crowd of less than 29000 in a ground that held 49000.  Forest doing well that season started the "rivalry", which is fair enough, as they are quite close together.    And we were totally sh*t that year and for quite a few after, so their main rivalry shifted.    

(Rivalry often doesn't stay the same over time, unless it's a totally obvious 1-on-1 like Newcastle and Sunderland.)

Cov had a lower status than Notts County and nothing much has changed. 

11 minutes ago, Daggers said:

League 1 remains my favourite season. Puts me at odds with most on here, but then I also enjoy a good stand and chant so I’m probably not representative of a Leicester fan anymore :whistle::D

It was fun. For one season. A bit like the Championship is this season. Win most games, leave. But the experience of the Championship early 2000's to the season before promotion was mainly dreadful.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

It was fun. For one season. A bit like the Championship is this season. Win most games, leave. But the experience of the Championship early 2000's to the season before promotion was mainly dreadful.

Strange isn't it? For those of us who've followed the team for various decades, we've seen many dire times, but if anything it makes us identify more with the club. One reason I can respect the Cov fans (even some on that forum) for staying loyal through the hard times. But we all want to see our club win (further) trophies, so their fan who claims he's happier that they didn't have the success we had in recent seasons, no, can't understand that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Definitely agree with the Cov and Forest bit.      Cov hadn't ever been in the top flight until 1967, so most Leicester fans just considered them a joke.   (although worth pointing out that most folk from SW Leicestershire saw it differently, as it fair enough).

Not totally re Derby ... they had won the league in 72 and 75 so they were half-decent and worthy of a bit of "respect".    Plus the fact that the Baseball ground was a much better atmosphere than Forest or Cov.   Really tight ground, hemmed in by terrace houses, and a covered away end.   Much more fun than what became the open away ends at Forest and Cov.

Forest, as you say, was the big rivalry that had developed during the 1960's (when Derby were nothing), when the zigger-zagger fan culture, football hooliganism and everything got going.     It was only really after Brian Clough moved to Forest and started doing well, that the real love affair between the 2 of them began.   Consider this: When Forest got back into the old 1st Div after a 6 year absence, they won their first 2 matches and were flying high.  Their 3rd match was home to Derby which attracted a crowd of less than 29000 in a ground that held 49000.  Forest doing well that season started the "rivalry", which is fair enough, as they are quite close together.    And we were totally sh*t that year and for quite a few after, so their main rivalry shifted.    

(Rivalry often doesn't stay the same over time, unless it's a totally obvious 1-on-1 like Newcastle and Sunderland.)

Fantastic description. And you are right, the waters flow differently over time. 

As a kid of the 80s, forest and Cov were always the two. Cov mainly of frustration, as such a non entity of a club could constantly finish above us. 

One addition to your excellent summary, forest of the sixties and seventies were far more Nottingham city than they are now. Now the fanbase, like ours is county based, is Nottinghamshire too. These godforsaken notts pit villages have nothing in common with the city of Leicester or rural Leicestershire market towns .....their instinctive rivalry is with  a.mirror image county on the other side of the M1 - similar god forsaken northern type pit / mill towns

I think however the next 20 years will see Derby left behind, in the way football left the likes of Preston, Blackpool and Huddersfield behind 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I think they are harmless. I like them not liking us. But I actually quite like them - they've been through the ringer these last 20 years and come out of it fairly well. 

As for that red filth....it is pure, distilled hatred. I honestly would rather they were wiped off the face of the earth. 

Same,  I’m from the ‘ville and it’s always been F*rest for me, I was hoping the Trent would swallow it up last week but not to be.

I know a lot of the South Leicestershire lads have probably got reasons but I just don’t get the Cov thing at all. I think I was in my 20’s before I even realised there was a ‘thing’. They’re a a par with West Brom and Wolves for me. 

• Like 2

Promoted by Points Per Game due to covid is a bit shit as well

48 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Livid said:

Same,  I’m from the ‘ville and it’s always been F*rest for me, I was hoping the Trent would swallow it up last week but not to be.

I know a lot of the South Leicestershire lads have probably got reasons but I just don’t get the Cov thing at all. I think I was in my 20’s before I even realised there was a ‘thing’. They’re a a par with West Brom and Wolves for me. 

On par with West Brom and Wolves despute geographically being our closest game? 

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Very correct. 

Equally totally get why people who work or live in the North of the county hate Forest.

That and I still say Leicester v Forest is a city v city derby for the best of the region. Both cities and counties live in isolation really. Whereas Derbys and Notts is far more interwoven (bar possibly Derbyshire folk over the Peaks). 

North Notts and North Derbyshire tend to support the Sheffield clubs more than Derby/Forest

You don’t find many Derby fans north of Chesterfield 

Forest are bigger in the east of the county and lincs (Grantham is a Forest stronghold) and places like Long Eaton/Stapleford etc

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

I love how on their forum they think villages like ‘Willoughby Waterleys’ and ‘Husbands Bosworth’ are hilarious names and that everyone there walks round with a top hat on. 😂 Literally standard countryside villages whos name ive never given a second thought to. For those mongos its like discovering fire

Yeah definitely a strange bunch.

Think they will win as law of averages dictates it has to be sometime - been 2008 since the last time bless them

Well still go up whilst they keep waiting for their missed penalty kick to come back down from orbit.

Plus who are those two mongos of Cov with the tassels on their hats - weirdos 

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Surely you’re only saying this so you can claim  ‘I’m a bit weird I am’?

How can winning Laegue One compare to winning the Premiership?

Did you not go to Palace and all the other great away trips that season? Did you not go to home games where the stadium was literally rocking?

Edited by hackneyfox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

As for that red filth....it is pure, distilled hatred. I honestly would rather they were wiped off the face of the earth. 

100 per cent agree regarding the red scum

11 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Surely you’re only saying this so you can claim  ‘I’m a bit weird I am’?

How can winning Laegue One compare to winning the Premiership?

Did you not go to Palace and all the other great away trips that season? Did you not go to home games where the stadium was literally rocking?

Yes, that’s the only reason I’m saying it. 

No, I didn’t go to a single Prem winning match, I was ill. 

7 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I really don't understand our fans trying to play the 'we don't care about Cov, just another game' card. I'm already nervous about it. 

Came on here to say similar.

Long time since we've played there... think some will be surprised at how hostile it's going to be. Always edgy.

• Like 3