Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest glasgowfox

Jonny Evans the miracle man

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Technically maybe the most talented. As you say his positioning was superb - I think back to the United home game last season where he kept the score down (saving his best performances for Man U?). I'd take Huth over him though. 

Yeah that was my point. I would take Huth too for what it's worth. I just felt that Evans was just good at everything. 

• Like 1

The fact United still have Evans and Maguire as centre back options tells you everything you need to know about them as a club though lol

Genuinely wouldn't swap Faes and Vestergaard for then

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I will also point out that I was incredibly disappointed by Evans last season and at times the season before. His captaincy embodied everything wrong with the club during our decline. I just felt that in terms of ability I think he was the best central defender I've seen at Leicester. I just won't remember him so fondly for the reason stated above. 

I can see what you’re saying about Evans technical ability but as others have stated, his lack of leadership undermines a lot of this.

Add that he wasn’t much quicker than Maguire meant he looked better when had a Cags/Fofana next to him that could use their athleticism.

He clearly had a pedigree, that’s not in doubt but if highlighting Huth’s limitations then the above re: Evans might be why a few of us questioned Evans being our most all rounded CB in “x time”.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Big softy. The worst possible "captain" in a relegation battle. No wonder he's got two on the CV.

I remember him in the tunnel before that key Newcastle away game last season. Looked like a deer in the headlights. He was never captain material.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Prset will do exactly the same when he leaves. 

Spineless

Had a pretty much injury-free season at Torino didn't he?

As for Evans, I doubt even United would have predicted he'd be a first team regular or much more than a back up. As a player he's that prime example of your best players not always making the best captains.

Credit where credit is due.

im just haunted by too many games where he pulls out of the team due to injury in training, or in warm up (FA cup) or the start of a game or mid way sheez the list is endless. Rogers constantly building the defence around him only to reshuffle at a moments notice. So many games were lost and then would go off to p look at with n. Ireland and conf back crocked. I’m amazed he’s stayed injury free for manure playing every game so far. Wow wtf!

7 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Spot on post mate.

The word I would use most about the respect (lack of) given to some of the FA cup winners for me is waste.

I don’t think a single fan when Youri signed on a permanent deal would have foreseen his 18 months of unfit, unprofessional performances.

As for Evans, his comments after the West Ham game sadly doesn’t surprise me as West Brom fans called out his commitment etc.

He was a very good CB on his day but it’s fair to question his lack of reading the room and quite frankly out of touch thought process, I get it’s a job to them but it’s not like one of us doing a 9 - 5 job is it?

Fans of other clubs, and especially pundits, scoff at us for daring to be ungrateful for those players and the achievements they made before relegation. 

I think a lot of that attitude had seeped into the club as a whole. How dare any of us see Leicester as anything more than a club fighting pathetically against relegation after all the success we have had that others of our size will never get? Accept what a brilliantly run club you have had and players making no effort, a manager who doesn't give a shit because he's clearly elite. Even Lineker still maintains Rodgers should have been given the whole season to turn it round. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Credit where credit is due.

im just haunted by too many games where he pulls out of the team due to injury in training, or in warm up (FA cup) or the start of a game or mid way sheez the list is endless. Rogers constantly building the defence around him only to reshuffle at a moments notice. So many games were lost and then would go off to p look at with n. Ireland and conf back crocked. I’m amazed he’s stayed injury free for manure playing every game so far. Wow wtf!

This is simply not true he's started less than 40 percent of man Uniteds games and has missed several weeks with a hamstring injury. Stil let's not let things like facts get in the way of a good old whinge. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Do fans ever really like players who get their team relegated?  It's bound to harm their legacy.  Those who won the league and the FA cup have more status to play with.

People still hate Tielemans because he's a bit podgy, he won us the FA Cup FFS

• Like 2

Sure he gifted Man Utd 3 points when they was chasing us for Champions league he was the main reason we failed to make it, made so many mistakes near the end probably got paid by Man United

And we also had Chilwell playing his worst who had one eye on his Chelsea career who were also chasing us, where is he and Chelsea now.

These 2 players cost us the Champions league place

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

Evan's is a good defender and that's why he was central in 3 pretty decent CB partnerships with Maguire, Caglar and Fofana. But not all good players make good leaders, Evan's is a poor leader who melted into the background when the pressure mounted. That's one of the reasons why we lost double digit leads and finished in 5th twice, and eventually got relegated. He's back where he always wanted to be, at Utd, maybe this is the reason he always seems fit now, who knows. But the fact that he's still playing PL football at 36, tells you he's a good player.

Nothing against Evans,goodluck to the fella…

When putting on any shirt he’s been proffesional

and put in his shift and performances with dedication..

His story a good professional,International to boot..

Injuries way laid his career,but didn’t put a stop to it,

plyed(ing) his trade more often at high PL-level.

most decorated Northern Ireland international

3 PL titles,FA.cup(short appearance) League cup

Champions Leage/Club World Cup..

But his various stints,prove he goes through the expected routine,

but ready to call foul through attitude without mudding the waters or

creating a storm…Trys to want to hold a balance,and is a good leader,

Happy to use his injuries to, show dissent/disproval of clubs/manager’s

Attitude towards future aspirations & potential. > WBA- Leicester <
Like many before him „ Loves Manutd „

Maybe ..!!•like Schmeichel, Vardy( who rode it out), others,Evans saw through

some managers Veil & struggles in delivering..His idea of.Manutd levels.

He was/is a damn good CB,shame Rodgers played silly buggers,with his experienced players..

We have had top CBs at Leicester,

he belonged and we have had quite a few,to one of the best..

Over a short period over two seasons with Soyuncu,both kept those

Other top 4 candidate running blind and lifted their club/team into those

long high flying sorted covetted positions…

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

People still hate Tielemans because he's a bit podgy, he won us the FA Cup FFS

So did Rodgers and I despise the man. 

You're only as good as your last and all that... 

• Like 1

I am happy to die on this hill and don’t want to stray from Evans on an Evans thread (classic Foxestalk) BUT anyone defending Youri’s performances last season….fancy explaining how?

I genuinely loved the guy but can’t think of one performance last season that was above 6/10.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I am happy to die on this hill and don’t want to stray from Evans on an Evans thread (classic Foxestalk) BUT anyone defending Youri’s performances last season….fancy explaining how?

I genuinely loved the guy but can’t think of one performance last season that was above 6/10.

Not taking sides either way but In Youri's defence . His form for us has continued since his move to Villa with only 11 Starts for them. I'm sure he'll get back to best form soon.

Top 10 CBs in my time as a fan:

Huth

Elliott

Fofana 🐍

Morgan

Taggart (maybe rose tinted but I loved him)

Evans

Maguire

Hobbs

Walsh (I was a bit young for his prime)

Wasilewski

Evans was great for a season and a half, and good when he played a lot of the rest of the time. But tell me you’d honestly prefer him to Morgan, Elliott, Huth in a matchday side and I think you’re underestimating the big lads.

12 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

As many have said before, worst (relative) captain we've had in my lifetime. 

Still get triggered by his post relegation interview 'we've all been in there saying goodbye to eachother'. What a twat.

I am a bit bitter about JE as it seems many are, but we've had worse...

Stephen Clemence? Danny Tiatto?

(obviously you may be 16 in which case fair enough..)

20 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Top 10 CBs in my time as a fan:

Huth

Elliott

Fofana 🐍

Morgan

Taggart (maybe rose tinted but I loved him)

Evans

Maguire

Hobbs

Walsh (I was a bit young for his prime)

Wasilewski

Evans was great for a season and a half, and good when he played a lot of the rest of the time. But tell me you’d honestly prefer him to Morgan, Elliott, Huth in a matchday side and I think you’re underestimating the big lads.

Good list, but I hope thats not the top ten in order!

3 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Good list, but I hope thats not the top ten in order!

Cold light of now, I think I wanted to avoid having both PL winners at the top, but Morgan should obviously be no.2. 

Not far off otherwise, though I guess people who saw Walsh’s prime would have him a couple of spots higher…

He's a very good footballer. Couldn't get in over Rio and Vidic as they were the best CBs in the world but everywhere else he's excelled.  I'm willing to cut him some slack for the latter part of his time here as Brendan rubbished everything. 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 22:54, hebangsthedrums said:

I am a bit bitter about JE as it seems many are, but we've had worse...

Stephen Clemence? Danny Tiatto?

(obviously you may be 16 in which case fair enough..)

Stephen Clemence & Danny Tiatto operated in a time where we were what, bottom third of the championship? 

I'm not talking about the quality of player, i'm talking about the relevant expectations of a captain versus the ability of the team. 

Regularly unavailable for selection, no leadership shown on or off the pitch. Captain of a club who have gone from European football one year to relegation in the next. I'm not sure that's even remotely comparable to Clemence or Tiatto.

• Like 1