Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest glasgowfox

Jonny Evans the miracle man

Reminds me of the end of the Brentford game at the start of last season. I was walking down the stand in H1 when I realised I was next to BBC commentator Guy Mowbray - he asked us what we made of that and we tried to be philosophical despite the disappointment. Mowbray said "I tell you what though, Jonny Evans - he's no leader is he?" 

Quite prophetic... 

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

NINTCHDBPICT000233031267-e1581356312839.

Evans in my opinion was better all around. Huth was an exceptional 18-yard box defender. However, Huth couldn't have played in the side we had in 2019-20/20-21, whereas I think Evans could have played in title winning side. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

lol behave!

He was the complete package. You could make the case for Huth strictly as someone to defend the box, however, Evans was much better on the ball and his sense of time and positioning was brilliant. Morgan contributed more and will be remembered more fondly but if you take both players on ability, Evans was better. Maguire was a full England international when he was with us, but Evans was a better defender. Fofana had/has the highest ceiling but he's yet to reach it and may never reach it. Soyuncu was well too inconsistent. 

Then in my lifetime you had Walsh, Elliott and Taggart. All great players for us but limited footballers who would struggle in the modern game. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

He was the complete package. You could make the case for Huth strictly as someone to defend the box, however, Evans was much better on the ball and his sense of time and positioning was brilliant. Morgan contributed more and will be remembered more fondly but if you take both players on ability, Evans was better. Maguire was a full England international when he was with us, but Evans was a better defender. Fofana had/has the highest ceiling but he's yet to reach it and may never reach it. Soyuncu was well too inconsistent. 

Then in my lifetime you had Walsh, Elliott and Taggart. All great players for us but limited footballers who would struggle in the modern game. 

I do get what you're saying mate and you make a fair point. But for me I want a lion in my defence who will stand up and be counted. This guy cowered when we needed him most and for that I can't hold him in the same esteem as you do.

On a technical standpoint though he did have the attributes you want

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

I do get what you're saying mate and you make a fair point. But for me I want a lion in my defence who will stand up and be counted. This guy cowered when we needed him most and for that I can't give him the esteem that you do.

On a technical standpoint though he did have the attributes you want

I meant it strictly from that point. Morgan and Huth were far more limited footballers but will go down as legends, whereas Evans was a very good player whose Leicester career ended on a very sour note. 

Perhaps one way of putting it is that Evans was the best centre-half I've seen at Leicester, but Morgan and Huth were the greatest. 

• Like 1

Guest glasgowfox
45 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

The best centre-half I've seen in my lifetime supporting Leicester. He went completely missing last season when we needed him though. 

Are you 6 lol

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yet another who could've so easily been remembered far more fondly than he will be. Really is remarkable how badly that side fell to bits. You'd never have believed it were possible.

Yes, I think he's one of the best defenders we've had. But like Tielemans and Maddison I'll never remember him as fondly as far less talented players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glasgowfox said:

Are you 6 lol

I've justified my position on this one if you care to read it. In terms of ability, not so much contribution or legacy, he was. I've also referenced Taggart, Walsh and Elliott in my justification, which might give you some indication of my age. 

47 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

The best centre-half I've seen in my lifetime supporting Leicester. He went completely missing last season when we needed him though. 

Technically maybe the most talented. As you say his positioning was superb - I think back to the United home game last season where he kept the score down (saving his best performances for Man U?). I'd take Huth over him though. 

• Like 1

Man U have had one of their worst ever starts to a PL campaign, are boring to watch and look like a horrible disjointed team. Evans is a core part of that. The fact that Man U have not been able to recruit anyone better than him is laughable. After last season, they deserve each other as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, glasgowfox said:

Are you 6 lol

I think it's a fair shout. Very far from our greatest defender but maybe the one with the most ability. He's played over 200 games for Man United for a reason. 

Guest glasgowfox
2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I've justified my position on this one if you care to read it. In terms of ability, not so much contribution or legacy, he was. I've also referenced Taggart, Walsh and Elliott in my justification, which might give you some indication of my age. 

Chill it was a joke :scarf:

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I think it's a fair shout. Very far from our greatest defender but maybe the one with the most ability. He's played over 200 games for Man United for a reason. 

Extremely harsh on Patrick Kisnorbo imo

• Haha 1