Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Stefano Sensi

The situation we find ourselves in, along with many other clubs, over the last couple of years is down to the fact that players routinely run down contracts. They know they have the upper hand and will only sign extensions if it involves significant pay increases or bonuses, or sit it out and pick up a healthy signing on fee and better wage in lieu of their new club not having to pay a transfer fee.

Add to that the problem that ffp means clubs can not afford to sell on at loss also means that the players will know that gives them an even stronger hand in negotiations. The club will not want to sell at a loss, therefore more likely to give them a rise if they sign.

• Like 3

if Davy Klassen didn't join Inter Milan this year I don't think Sensi would be on the transfer list for them.  the way they lineup there's no spot for him in that starting 11, they would rather have him off the books to save wages and get something before he can leave on free this summer. He was the standout player for Monza last season making the difference for them, they finished 11 in Serie A with most thinking before the season they would be going down.  I'm surprised he would even agree to join us, Maresca must be the factor here for him wanting to come. 

1 hour ago, Molson Canadian said:

if Davy Klassen didn't join Inter Milan this year I don't think Sensi would be on the transfer list for them.  the way they lineup there's no spot for him in that starting 11, they would rather have him off the books to save wages and get something before he can leave on free this summer. He was the standout player for Monza last season making the difference for them, they finished 11 in Serie A with most thinking before the season they would be going down.  I'm surprised he would even agree to join us, Maresca must be the factor here for him wanting to come.

Or perhaps the reality that no one else seems to want him.

At the very least there don’t seem to be a bunch of other suitors knocking on his door. Anyway, was just checking-in to see if he’s signed on yet. I think it’s an intriguing case and hopefully we can sign him on reasonable terms (including the flexibility to get rid of in the summer if things are not working out for either or both parties).

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

The situation we find ourselves in, along with many other clubs, over the last couple of years is down to the fact that players routinely run down contracts. They know they have the upper hand and will only sign extensions if it involves significant pay increases or bonuses, or sit it out and pick up a healthy signing on fee and better wage in lieu of their new club not having to pay a transfer fee.

Add to that the problem that ffp means clubs can not afford to sell on at loss also means that the players will know that gives them an even stronger hand in negotiations. The club will not want to sell at a loss, therefore more likely to give them a rise if they sign.

Plus, half the time people whine on that there is no loyalty when a player leaves they don't want to leave. Works both ways.

If you're given a contract you're not likely to better, you're going to stick about aren't you.. that's the club that's made the mistake.. hopefully we will learn from it.

I can see Chelsea having this issue in 2 or 3 years when they realise they have 40 players with 5 years to run on 100kplus contracts and are crap.

it grows lesslikely the longer we get into the window without shifting Praet or Ward. Feels like Ward is the key as he carries a big wage and a big salary. If we have to actively SELL him then clubs will be leaving it late to try and have our pants down.

With Daka and Iheanacho playing AFCON until end of the window i wouldn't imagine one of those will be transferred in January. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

it grows lesslikely the longer we get into the window without shifting Praet or Ward. Feels like Ward is the key as he carries a big wage and a big salary. If we have to actively SELL him then clubs will be leaving it late to try and have our pants down.

With Daka and Iheanacho playing AFCON until end of the window i wouldn't imagine one of those will be transferred in January. 

Given that a buyer of ward isnt going to pay him what we pay him, I can’t see his sale doing anything apart from opening up a squad place.  Whatever we take in on a fee will be eaten up by his salary shortfall and loyalty bonus.  Same with praet or anyone whose contract ends this summer. The only possible departure that I can see being workable financially is kasey because he earns nowt and his fee is all profit this year.  

if we do buy sensi then it will be money coming out of the summer budget and I think the club are trying to avoid this. Maybe enzo wasn’t overly bothered that we lost on Saturday cos it might concentrate the minds upstairs a little for this month. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Given that a buyer of ward isnt going to pay him what we pay him, I can’t see his sale doing anything apart from opening up a squad place.  Whatever we take in on a fee will be eaten up by his salary shortfall and loyalty bonus.  Same with praet or anyone whose contract ends this summer. The only possible departure that I can see being workable financially is kasey because he earns nowt and his fee is all profit this year.  

if we do buy sensi then it will be money coming out of the summer budget and I think the club are trying to avoid this. Maybe enzo wasn’t overly bothered that we lost on Saturday cos it might concentrate the minds upstairs a little for this month. 

We could agree to pay the difference in his salary until his original contract time with us expires that would probably free up enough to sign someone on similar salary to Ward's new rate.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

We could agree to pay the difference in his salary until his original contract time with us expires that would probably free up enough to sign someone on similar salary to Ward's new rate.

That had occurred to me as I wrote it but not convinced that is allowable under accounting rules. If he didn’t get another job then would be ok . (As happens with sacked managers). 

I'm sure you can agree to pay monthly for the duration of the original contract but I think the full amount that you’ve agreed to pay has to go into the accounts in the year the deal is done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That had occurred to me as I wrote it but not convinced that is allowable under accounting rules. If he didn’t get another job then would be ok . (As happens with sacked managers). 

I'm sure you can agree to pay monthly for the duration of the original contract but I think the full amount that you’ve agreed to pay has to go into the accounts in the year the deal is done. 

18 month loan then

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ay??? UEFA FFP is only applicable to us if we return to European football does it not?

In his last press conference, Enzo said we had to sell before we could buy. I think this guy means the Premier League rules not European ones, but it's the same gist. When we see the punishment being dished out to the clubs in the Premier League, even though we got relegated, I think it's going to look prudent to have stuck to the rules!

It all points to Sensi joining us in the summer.

It must be said that this guy is not very good for transfer news though, so take what he says with a pinch of salt.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ay??? UEFA FFP is only applicable to us if we return to European football does it not?

think its a typo from the guy tbh,

hes pretty good for italian transfer etc imo

can see us selling Praet, unless its a massively knocked down fee, be nice if we could get both off the books tho

Surely we don't have to sell BOTH to afford Sensi? i know we are keen to clear the decks but you don't sell €17m worth of assets to afford €1-2m unless of course those personal terms he says they have agreed are in the same ball park as Henderson's Saudi wages :blink:

30 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Surely we don't have to sell BOTH to afford Sensi? i know we are keen to clear the decks but you don't sell €17m worth of assets to afford €1-2m unless of course those personal terms he says they have agreed are in the same ball park as Henderson's Saudi wages :blink:

Surely it’s less about Sensi himself and more about our current room for manoeuvre? 

If we’re right up to the limit, then we need to sell before we buy, regardless of how much Sensi costs 

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

28 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Surely it’s less about Sensi himself and more about our current room for manoeuvre? 

If we’re right up to the limit, then we need to sell before we buy, regardless of how much Sensi costs 

Who’s Shirley?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

£17m? 
praet isn’t worth anything into his last 6 months and Harry is about a £7m pound player at best in jan

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

18 month loan then

I knew someone would say a loan 

agree that probably effectively kicks the can down the road but we wouldn’t be able to loan for more than six months and if ward plays then he likely becomes worthless ! 

41 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

quite, but if true it shows we have zero moveability & probably beyond the limit of what any of us assumed if the sale of 2 players & their wages only allow 1 very very cut priced deal in.
Had they said 1 player in 1 player out ok but 2? This could stop us buying anyone this winter if that's the case & we do need a few key replacements/backup's as our bench didn't look that strong v Coventry & probably why he only made the 1 sub, a few injuries we could be looking quite thin on the ground.