Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Stefano Sensi

Just now, iancognito said:

Winks too. Supposedly injury prone according to Spuds fans.

He's nothing more than a squad player to them, I can't see them being arsed about losing someone off the bench for the Super Cup.

Enzo already said in his presser the other day there was nothing imminent either in or out. And again, he's barely played for them, I can't see them hanging on to him to warm the bench.

Enzo's presser was before Casadei left. It has since been reported in the Italian media that Casadei's departure will free up space for Sensi, but we don't know whether they know that for a fact or are just speculating. We should know either way by the end of the week...

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

If you're only getting a ten point deduction then surely you just take that and spend £80m rather than £8m, the extra £72m is likely to earn more than ten points.

As much as some may see this  as a joke, i personally believe it is very close to Forest's strategy.  financial gain of being in the prem for a couple of seasons outweigh the  penalty given.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Enzo already said in his presser the other day there was nothing imminent either in or out. And again, he's barely played for them, I can't see them hanging on to him to warm the bench.

Enzo would say that even if a deal was close

In the summer window he said nothing was close in a press conference and then the next day we announced Yunus and then Fatawu just a few days after

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This stuff is super boring, but important. The club gambled post Puel with an aggressive wage structure. This was written last season:

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/leicester-city-finances-202122

As a result, Leicester's 85% is one of the highest (worst) wages to turnover ratios in the Premier League, though better than Everton 96% and Newcastle United 95%. In contrast, the Big Six have much better ratios, thanks to their much higher revenue, e.g. Tottenham 47% and Arsenal 58%.

During Covid the ratio was 105% (!), meaning we were spending more money than we were earning because of the loss of matchday revenues.

Then from here:
https://theathletic.com/4311802/2023/03/16/leicester-city-accounts-explained/

Leicester were chasing the dream and attempting to punch above their weight, despite the mismatch.

“Leicester are pretty close to the top of what we call the other 14 in terms of their wage bill,” says Maguire. “They have invested substantial amounts in the squad, but it now looks to an extent that that policy is going in reverse as wages did come down a little bit.

“I’ve got an average weekly wage of £87,000 per week, which is clearly substantially higher than when they won the Premier League.

So here's the thing, if we sign just one player, but show a loss in the accounting period that exceeds the amount of losses you can make, then you are in breach of the rules and can have points deductions, like Everton and probably Forest. So it's not that we don't have the money, it's that we can't spend it.

It's just as well we made such a great start, because it might be that we limp over the line. But as long we get back up that's the most important thing. These rules are terrible, though, they seem designed to stop another Leicester City story from ever happening again...

Agree that they're terrible.

But disagree that they are or would stop 'another Leicester' - Leicester didn't win the league by spending big did we? We didn't even disrupt the top 6 for 18-24 months by spending big. 

2016 was a fluke, based on a perfect storm of unearthed world class gems, hungry professionals with a point to prove and some young players 

2019-2021 was about a similar model, with 'clever' signings letting us punch above our weight

I don't think the new rules stop teams doing what we did (even though doing it is near to impossible/requires a perfect storm of circumstances)

The current rules stop a Newcastle coming in and trying to be the next Man City. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Agree that they're terrible.

But disagree that they are or would stop 'another Leicester' - Leicester didn't win the league by spending big did we? We didn't even disrupt the top 6 for 18-24 months by spending big. 

2016 was a fluke, based on a perfect storm of unearthed world class gems, hungry professionals with a point to prove and some young players 

2019-2021 was about a similar model, with 'clever' signings letting us punch above our weight

I don't think the new rules stop teams doing what we did (even though doing it is near to impossible/requires a perfect storm of circumstances)

The current rules stop a Newcastle coming in and trying to be the next Man City. 

I don't think they'll stop Newcastle, just delay them.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We're seven points clear at the top of the table, ten if we win tonight, having smashed more or less every record going in this tier in an unprecedented start.

A large part of that is down to some excellent recruitment with Mavididi, Winks, Fatawu, Hermansen and now Cannon in particular all looking like exceptional deals - not to mention a fantastic bit of recruitment in Maresca.

And you're still unsatisfied? Because, why exactly? We should have under-spent and risked falling behind at the start of the season just in case there was someone we fancied signing in the notoriously difficult January window?

Fantastic strategy, man. Can see why you're a successful, professional director of football at a major multi-million pound football club.

Excellent recruitment this summer and excellent choice of manager, but when you understand how that came about you'd be a bit more sceptical.

One agent has a very good relationship with LCFC, wider than that and the options are limited. Our whole recruitment process on managers was agents throwing names at the club. Fortunately the one who's more in favour at Leicester represented Maresca....coincidentally he also represents the only player who's managed to get an extension of the club this year. So yes, the jury is still out on the running of the football side of things at the club.

As for the rest of the scouting, yes very good and credit where credit is due but this doesn't undo the years before that and the players we still have at the club that we won't get rid of - Soumare, Kristiansen, Souttar are all gathering dust on serious amounts of money. And that's before i get into the management of the squad - did we really need 5 keepers? We've addressed that by forcing one to Stoke on loan (no fee for a promising keeper baffles me) and forced the other into retirement (you wonder whether we've had to pay out on this too). And 4 strikers? Entirely neccesary? Our inability to sell players outside of players that anyone on here could sell is absolutely baffling - and it's widely reported we were asking for ridiculous fees for soyuncu and tielemans. Have we really learnt anything?

And then you go in to the news that I think @cosbehfox shared that we'll have to sell even if we go up, which i've heard seperately from someone that if it was posted on here it would be taken as a cast iron fact. There's being in a good position this season and there's managing the long term health of the club which as last season demonstrated hasn't been managed well and has left us in very difficult positions in the long term.

And as for your last line, that's very funny.

12 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

And then you go in to the news that I think @cosbehfox shared that we'll have to sell even if we go up, which i've heard seperately from someone that if it was posted on here it would be taken as a cast iron fact. 

How can that be possible after the contracts of a dozen or so senior pros coming off the books across the 2 years including all the highest earners? Notwithstanding a new contract for Vardy which will surely be on reduced wages or at least no more than he was on last season.

Unless we've stuck all the signings from last year on the wages of the players who left.

Edited by ealingfox

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Excellent recruitment this summer and excellent choice of manager, but when you understand how that came about you'd be a bit more sceptical.

One agent has a very good relationship with LCFC, wider than that and the options are limited. Our whole recruitment process on managers was agents throwing names at the club. Fortunately the one who's more in favour at Leicester represented Maresca....coincidentally he also represents the only player who's managed to get an extension of the club this year. So yes, the jury is still out on the running of the football side of things at the club.

As for the rest of the scouting, yes very good and credit where credit is due but this doesn't undo the years before that and the players we still have at the club that we won't get rid of - Soumare, Kristiansen, Souttar are all gathering dust on serious amounts of money. And that's before i get into the management of the squad - did we really need 5 keepers? We've addressed that by forcing one to Stoke on loan (no fee for a promising keeper baffles me) and forced the other into retirement (you wonder whether we've had to pay out on this too). And 4 strikers? Entirely neccesary? Our inability to sell players outside of players that anyone on here could sell is absolutely baffling - and it's widely reported we were asking for ridiculous fees for soyuncu and tielemans. Have we really learnt anything?

And then you go in to the news that I think @cosbehfox shared that we'll have to sell even if we go up, which i've heard seperately from someone that if it was posted on here it would be taken as a cast iron fact. There's being in a good position this season and there's managing the long term health of the club which as last season demonstrated hasn't been managed well and has left us in very difficult positions in the long term.

It's no secret who the agent is mate, don't think you have to be cryptic about it, he was in all the videos when Enzo signed on.

John Morris if anyone is wondering

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

How can that be possible after the contracts of a dozen or so senior pros coming off the books across the 2 years including all the highest earners? Notwithstanding a new contract for Vardy which will surely be on reduced wages or at least no more than he was on last season.

Unless we've stuck all the signings from last year on the wages of the players who left.

TBH i find it absolutely mind blowing as well and was sceptical when i heard it but it's the second time i've heard it now so must be some element of truth and explains the approach in January.

4 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Is this a done deal?

It's either a done deal with the announcement imminent or it's definitely not going to happen because we're skint and need to offload even more players (on top of Iversen, Casadei and Smithies) before we can sign Sensi. 

You're very welcome.

• Haha 1

Someone, earlier in this thread absolutely nailed it, with a comparative player - Jack Wilshere.

His style of play, his position on the pitch, stature, they even move the same!

Unfortunately, just like our Jack, they both seem to have legs made up of a combination of Chipsticks and Quavers! 

Edited by FoxinNotts

29 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm not convinced the scouting is very good. I don't see any tangible changes yet but then again the ordinary fan wouldn't see that in the short term.

We still don't seem to actively scout South America or South East Asia where both value for money and strong successes have been found by our fellow peers. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not convinced the scouting is very good. I don't see any tangible changes yet but then again the ordinary fan wouldn't see that in the short term.

We still don't seem to actively scout South America or South East Asia where both value for money and strong successes have been found by our fellow peers. 

forgot to mention we dont tap into the scandinavian market enough either

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

And you look at the clubs thriving in the prem - they're the ones that have a long track record of pulling rabbits out of hats - Brentford and Brighton both fish in markets that we don't. Last January is a massive concern for me - Harrison, Tete, Kristiansen and Souttar is not smart business (although I still think Kristiansen might have an impact in the right environment).

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

TBH i find it absolutely mind blowing as well and was sceptical when i heard it but it's the second time i've heard it now so must be some element of truth and explains the approach in January.

And the other thing I find absolutely mind blowing is that they've managed to piss off a manager again by not communicating to him. It's really bloody basic stuff. Having done a good job to get him, he'll **** off at the first opportunity now.

34 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I think we rolled the dice to stay in the league and that unfortunately would have undone the hard work to keep in line with FFP. 

In the year we supposedly didn’t spend any money, we spent all the fofana money in on vk souttar, faes and the loan fee for tete. 

And picked up all their wages. 

It would make sense that if we returned to the prem we’d be in the same situation as that season and likely wouldn’t have much of a lot to p*ss in. 

I do wonder if we could hold our own even with this squad though. The recruitment has been so good that i think we could possibly survive. it wouldn’t be a great season but i think we’d potentially have enough. But that will come down to who goes up with us and who drops. (hopefully forest and everton)

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

And the other thing I find absolutely mind blowing is that they've managed to piss off a manager again by not communicating to him. It's really bloody basic stuff. Having done a good job to get him, he'll **** off at the first opportunity now.

If he gets us promoted, he'll be tempted by a Serie A club IMO.