Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2024

Good to get a fresh face in a top car. F1 drivers careers are much longer now and seats don't come up often so could easily have ended up getting lost in the shuffle like others have if he sticks around in F2. Mercedes don't really have a lot of choices of where to put drivers now - Williams want experience, Aston effectively only has one seat and McLaren are flying and have a great lineup.

Maybe they could have convinced alpine to put him their seat over Doohan as they want an engine but exciting to see what he can do in the works team.

• Like 1

I can understand why McLaren asked Norris to let Piastri through a few weeks ago as it was for a first place and the undercut was inadvertant but I can't understand why they didn't switch the cars todays. No threat from Sainz so the end result is the same for the team but would have given Lando an extra few points over Max. I can't imagine Lando getting another opportunity at the WDC while in the same team as Oscar.

7 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

I can understand why McLaren asked Norris to let Piastri through a few weeks ago as it was for a first place and the undercut was inadvertant but I can't understand why they didn't switch the cars todays. No threat from Sainz so the end result is the same for the team but would have given Lando an extra few points over Max. I can't imagine Lando getting another opportunity at the WDC while in the same team as Oscar.

He’s not that guy, Piastri has a higher ceiling. Landos fumbles this season are on him, he’s not really made himself the number 1.

Some real, horrible hypocrites in the British media. 

Absolutely scathing of Ferrari in the past for using team orders and prioritising one driver in the Championship, yet giving a lot of aggression today towards McLaren insisting that Piastri should be waving Lando through wherever possible.

Make your fvcking mind up. It makes sense points-wise, but at the same time Lando is making an absolute dogs dinner of this season and now having the most dominant car. 

Will Buxton is possibly the biggest c*** of them all. Snidey comments all the time, needling drivers because they're not his favourites, but he'll then be all cutesy and flirty with them in interviews as if they're best friends. If anyone gives him a little back? He immediately cries about his mental health and being affected by comments. Completely toxic.

1 hour ago, Asha said:

Some real, horrible hypocrites in the British media. 

Absolutely scathing of Ferrari in the past for using team orders and prioritising one driver in the Championship, yet giving a lot of aggression today towards McLaren insisting that Piastri should be waving Lando through wherever possible.

Make your fvcking mind up. It makes sense points-wise, but at the same time Lando is making an absolute dogs dinner of this season and now having the most dominant car. 

Will Buxton is possibly the biggest c*** of them all. Snidey comments all the time, needling drivers because they're not his favourites, but he'll then be all cutesy and flirty with them in interviews as if they're best friends. If anyone gives him a little back? He immediately cries about his mental health and being affected by comments. Completely toxic.

Pretty harsh. All journos have their favourites. It’s been a get out to cry anxiety and mental health when it doesn’t go your way for a long time now. That said I do find Buxton cringey 

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He’s not that guy, Piastri has a higher ceiling. Landos fumbles this season are on him, he’s not really made himself the number 1.

And they obviously don’t want to make him it either which is understandable as McLaren have invested a lot in both for the long term .

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Sounds like they are going to prioritise Llando in the championship from now on as they realise their chances of a drivers championship might be slipping away. 

Probably too late though. Between Hungary and Italy they have let 17 points fall the other way. Piastri has clearly the made the case that he isn't prepared to be a Massa or Bottas and I don't think he is really going to be that bothered about Lando's title win. Hungary seemed like a bit of a shift at McLaren - I think Stella sees more in Piastri and I wouldn't be surprised if Lando wasn't wearing different colours to start 2026, maybe replacing Verstappen at Red Bull? 

I'd have a guess at something like this in 2026...

Mercedes - Verstappen / Antonelli

Ferrari - Leclerc / Hamilton*

Red Bull - Norris / Lawson

McLaren - Piastri / Sainz

Aston Martin - Russell / Stroll*

Back home after a great weekend at Monza. 1st race I’ve been to in person, they aren’t for the feint hearted, the heat was exhausting and Monza park is absolutely massive, covered some serious ground. Great to see a Ferrari win on home soil, the Italian fans are great value, superb atmosphere. Not sure the British media have made much of it, but it was apparently the fastest GP in history, not sure if that’s actually true or not? They kept saying it over the tannoy. 

I’d highly recommend Monza as a race to go to if anyone was considering a race. Very accessible from Milan (and Monza is lovely in its own right) and all the transport was very well organised all weekend (but extremely busy as you can imagine). You get city break and race weekend all wrapped in to one which I personally enjoyed. I’d go again for sure. Also picked up a new Atalanta shirt so I’m chuffed all together. 

• Like 4

That's awesome. Out of interest, how is Monza priced compared to the British GP? I couldn't believe how loud the grandstands sounded on the TV about 7 laps from the end when it became obvious that Charles was one stopping. Sounds like a great time.

@mancunianfox I’ll be honest I’ve never looked at prices for Silverstone so hard to say, what would you pay for grandstand seats for the full weekend there? You obviously have to factor in flights and accommodation too but that didn’t seem much different in price to when we went to Milan last year, wasn’t as if they’d hiked the price for the weekend specifically which surprised me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manini said:

Back home after a great weekend at Monza. 1st race I’ve been to in person, they aren’t for the feint hearted, the heat was exhausting and Monza park is absolutely massive, covered some serious ground. Great to see a Ferrari win on home soil, the Italian fans are great value, superb atmosphere. Not sure the British media have made much of it, but it was apparently the fastest GP in history, not sure if that’s actually true or not? They kept saying it over the tannoy. 

I’d highly recommend Monza as a race to go to if anyone was considering a race. Very accessible from Milan (and Monza is lovely in its own right) and all the transport was very well organised all weekend (but extremely busy as you can imagine). You get city break and race weekend all wrapped in to one which I personally enjoyed. I’d go again for sure. Also picked up a new Atalanta shirt so I’m chuffed all together. 

Decent review cheers, I’ve never been to f1 in Europe and would never consider due to usually combining it with a holiday. But as you say a weekend break would easily work.

Is it silly expensive though? Good quality hotels easy to find? 

26 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Decent review cheers, I’ve never been to f1 in Europe and would never consider due to usually combining it with a holiday. But as you say a weekend break would easily work.

Is it silly expensive though? Good quality hotels easy to find? 

Yeah it works well, I imagine it would be the same in Barca, Budapest etc etc and gives you another reason to go to these places other than just your standard sightseeing. 

Depends what you’d consider silly expensive really. Our track passes which was a grandstand seat at Prima Variante for each day and integrated train and shuttle tickets to and from Milan was around €450 pp booked via one of the seemingly hundreds of independent companies who sell these types of packages about 6 months before we went. You have to factor In flights obviously but Ryanair to Bergamo seems to be a cheap route all year round from most major airports from what I can tell. You don’t get much for your money hotels wise at the best of times in Milan I don’t think but as said above didn’t seem to be taking the piss price wise, c€100 a night next to Centrale which is a bit of a dump of an area but handy for getting to Monza sharpish (10 min train if you pick the right one). Probably could have found cheaper accommodation but convenience won this time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/c4gqd8lz9g1o

I am at a slight loss why you'd spend such resources to develop a winning car and persist with Lance behind the wheel.  I mean, I understand why he's there, but if Aston Martin are serious they need to sling him ASAP.

He has just signed a new contract !

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/c4gqd8lz9g1o

I am at a slight loss why you'd spend such resources to develop a winning car and persist with Lance behind the wheel.  I mean, I understand why he's there, but if Aston Martin are serious they need to sling him ASAP.

Lawrence Stroll is never ever going to sack his own son. He's stated numerous times he wants Lance to win a World Championship with Aston Martin. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Bear said:

Lawrence Stroll is never ever going to sack his own son. He's stated numerous times he wants Lance to win a World Championship with Aston Martin. 

Aston are never going to win a championship then