Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2024

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

You've mentioned part of the issue - identical when fresh.

So when a driver wears down the tyre so much, they've gained an unfair advantage because they lose more weight with more tyre use. Compared to other drivers who replace their tyres throughout the race, fairly, which means their cars are heavier with fresher tyres. 

I guess I object to the unfairness of wearing down tyres 'too much'. In some way it feels equivalent to gaining an advantage from damaging your car.

But I've also found doping rules in other sports to be bizarre when the offending substance is not beneficial for performance.

38 minutes ago, isaidno said:

First time since Michael Schumacher in 1994 that a driver has been disqualified from a win. 

This was my first, and so far only, race I've seen in person. Belgian GP as well.

Edited by shen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shen said:

I understand it's a big part and I don't contest the decision. But I never imagined wearing tyres down to such a degree would prove advantageous. The dropoff in grip and performance has always been massive - up until yesterday.

Russell wasn't the only one to pull off a 1 stopper, so you'd think others would be caught with too low weight as well.

The reason I ask about the weight rule is because it's surely to make sure the chassis and mechanical components (i.e. what the manufacturer controls) meets the same minimum requirements. So if a car manages to perform even with seemingly terrible tyres, why should that be more punishable than having a chassis with less drag or an engine with more performance, especially if that is a conscious design/strategy choice?

Out of curiosity, are there also rules for fuel burning efficiency? I.e. could the starting weight of two cars with identical chassises/drivers be different because of fuel load assuming one engine is more efficient than the other?

There are rules regarding fuel are similar if they’re under a certain amount then they are disqualified 

14 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

There are rules regarding fuel are similar if they’re under a certain amount then they are disqualified 

Sure, but my question was regarding any min or max amount at the start of the race. Obviously they will want to minimise fuel load, and assuming differences in fuel efficiency, some cars will have a significant advantage at the start of the race - all else being equal. This would be similar to gaining an advantage through excessive tyre wear surely.

4 minutes ago, shen said:

Sure, but my question was regarding any min or max amount at the start of the race. Obviously they will want to minimise fuel load, and assuming differences in fuel efficiency, some cars will have a significant advantage at the start of the race - all else being equal. This would be similar to gaining an advantage through excessive tyre wear surely.

Not quite, because each engine is developed by the team therefor it’s a competitive component on the car. Tyres are all stock, not a case of Ferrari make their own .etc. 

9 hours ago, shen said:

They are allowed up to a maximum of 110kg of fuel

They are required to provide 1 litre of fuel at the end of the race otherwise they will be disqualified

• Like 1

On 30/07/2024 at 08:33, moore_94 said:

They are allowed up to a maximum of 110kg of fuel

They are required to provide 1 litre of fuel at the end of the race otherwise they will be disqualified

Yeah, I can't remember who, but someone was disqualified after reaching the podium because he couldnt provide 1 litre of fuel after the race. 

23 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Apparently Adrian Newey is going to Aston Martin and they also want Max Verstappen.

Stroll money I guess .

Team Nepotism

Not that Max isn't a wonderful driver of course. 

On 06/08/2024 at 19:05, Super_horns said:

Apparently Adrian Newey is going to Aston Martin and they also want Max Verstappen.

Stroll money I guess .

Aston would lose my support in that case.  Verstappen is a petulant little twit (with an A)

• 2 weeks later...