Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Coventry away post match 3-1 defeat

1 hour ago, Foxoffice said:

One of the lads we know was knocked out at the bottom of the stairs in the concourse by a fellow Leicester fan for saying calm down we’re top of the league to a guy late 40s early 50s who stated that was f#%king rubbish. 🤯

I hope this was followed up with the police? 

People wishing for VAR in this thread would be very upset, that red card would still be given regardless. There is a still frame which shows Fatawu lunging into the challenge with both feet off the ground and that would be plenty enough to argue serious foul play. At the time I thought it was a "hard yellow", but I can see why the referee has given it and I doubt we'll appeal. One thing we can all agree on is that it was a stupid attempt at a tackle that he really didn't need to make.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Regarding the penalty, at the time I didn't even think it was a pen, but looking at it back I think the ref gets it right according to the current laws of the game.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off.

The player did play the ball so I guess the "double jeopardy" rule applies here.

Like it or not, we were poor before we went down to 10 men and got a whole lot worse after (not helped by some questionable tactical decisions), so we probably deserved to lose this one in any case.

This does mean that we've now lost Abdul until near the end of AFCON (go figure), and we won't have Maresca on the touchline for the Ipswich game as he got himself a silly yellow card.

Regardless, we're still winning this league at a canter.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

It was just a robust challenge. Yellow card at most.

It was two-footed and he didn't come close to getting the ball. Irrespective of whether you or I think it should have been a yellow, everybody knows you can get sent off for those challenges these days, so it was a hugely risky challenge to make. The crowd was on the ref's back about the penalty and then they're baying for a red card for Fatawu's rash challenge. It was always likely the ref would opt to placate them rather than make them even angrier by just giving a yellow. The point is, there was no need whatsoever for Fatawu to give the ref the opportunity to even things up after the pen, but he did.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It was two-footed and he didn't come close to getting the ball. Irrespective of whether you or I think it should have been a yellow, everybody knows you can get sent off for those challenges these days, so it was a hugely risky challenge to make. The crowd was on the ref's back about the penalty and then they're baying for a red card for Fatawu's rash challenge. It was always likely the ref would opt to placate them rather than make them even angrier by just giving a yellow. The point is, there was no need whatsoever for Fatawu to give the ref the opportunity to even things up after the pen, but he did.

It's passed away a microsecond before Fatawu gets there, there wasn't any need for him to lunge in there but to say he got nowhere near the ball is just objectively incorrect.

Very stupid by Fatawu to give a weak ref the opportunity to send him off, especially given the time and position of the ball. Fair play to his reaction after the game though and hopefully we see some smarter decision making. It is nice having a quality winger who has a bit of aggression about them though.

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It wasn't two-footed, one leg was withdrawn. 

I think it's a very strong yellow card offence. Ref should have booked him and told him that even the most minor thing after that and you're off. 

58 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I know people hate the xG discussions but when you consider Cov were facing 10 men. They won 1.38 to 1.15 on xG. 

Their first two goals were very low xG scorers - 0.09 and 0.03 - Godden's header was by far the most clear cut chance they created (0.26) and O'Hare's second goal (0.20). So when you consider those two chances contribute to 0.46 of their expected goals. Yeah it's one of them in retrospect. 

My head just exploded 

The ref was poor but both decisions are defensible - Fatwu needs to learn that in that moment, after a contentious penalty, crowd and ref have heightened senses so more important to keep a cool head. He lost his unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

The more I thought about the Fatawu decision the more I think it was a shocker. 

The only shocking decision was Abdul diving in like that. Even if it was 50/50 yellow or red, don’t make the ref have to make that decision. 

Orange card for Fatawu, I can see both sides of it... Naivety from the young lad, hopefully learns and moves on.

Enzo also shown some naivety as well i thought, i wasn't particularly keen on the starting line and all substitutions made were poor. (and the timings)

Dust ourselves off and we go again Monday night!!

1 minute ago, LFEFox23 said:

Orange card for Fatawu, I can see both sides of it... Naivety from the young lad, hopefully learns and moves on.

Enzo also shown some naivety as well i thought, i wasn't particularly keen on the starting line and all substitutions made were poor. (and the timings)

Dust ourselves off and we go again Monday night!!

Starting line up was our strongest 11. Subs were a product of going narrow / low block. Think we were in a lose / lose regarding the subs. 

32 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Yes, in the 1970's, in 2023 a straight red. 

I took my blue tinted specs off 

I thought it was a straight red from the stands, but to be it looked high, when you see it back, it's just a yellow. The referee had a nightmare.

58 minutes ago, Foxoffice said:

Think he’s pretty shook up by it, not wanting to go to away games anymore.

He definitely needs to take this further. If it was inside the ground they would have cctv you'd have thought 

54 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

I thought it was a straight red from the stands, but to be it looked high, when you see it back, it's just a yellow. The referee had a nightmare.

I'll say again.. Fatawu dives in the air , no control.. Immediate red.. 

Good referering.. 

Fans still having a mare.. 

• Like 1

Pace & a lack of control does for him, he doesn't really connect on any part of the oppo's body that would have caused a nasty injury but reckless so given red.....then you see Gusto lunge on Willan where he connects full force onto a planted leg this was a potentially ankle breaker & this was deemed a yellow with no VAR intervention, be interesting to see why on ref watch!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I'll say again.. Fatawu dives in the air , no control.. Immediate red.. 

Good referering.. 

Fans still having a mare.. 

Liverpool are a particular good example of these types of challenges in a big match. I don't think I have ever seem a red.

Allowing dust to settle for a day or two.

Thought we were poor 1st half, but no way near as bad as some are making out.

Sending off obviously hugely changes the match, and what became apparent is that we have no plan of how to play with 10 men. Would have been interesting if it was still 0-0 to see if that changes, but it was an obvious back against the walls job from the start of 2nd half.

Thought we actually defended really well until their equaliser, and then it was inevitable. Obvious huge work to do on changing things when down to 10 men, and Enzo got his subs (or lack of) wrong for me. He's still at the beginning of his managerial journey though and these elements will improve. 

One of those days, now its time to react.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Pace & a lack of control does for him, he doesn't really connect on any part of the oppo's body that would have caused a nasty injury but reckless so given red.....then you see Gusto lunge on Willan where he connects full force onto a planted leg this was a potentially ankle breaker & this was deemed a yellow with no VAR intervention, be interesting to see why on ref watch!

Ref watch is the best comedy program on TV.

The Ref was terrible from the off, They were putting it about and he let too much go. Which is why Fatawu lost it after several elbows etc.

Taking off Mav was a big mistake. It allowed them to push up and contain us while they had 2 men marking Cannon.

When you decide to defend in your own box mistakes are always likely to happen.