Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattFox

Towns that are “Leicester”

On 14/01/2024 at 20:45, WalMelton said:

Stamford is Leicester, you obviously never got out .  Peterborough you really are joking…

I live in Peterborough and nobody supports Peterborough…😂😂😂

I lived and worked in stamford and Peterborough for 10 years, that was between '93 to '03, I was always out in town as I was 18 when I.went there, don't remember any leicester fans I knew of, infact, they didn't even know what a chip cob was 🤣

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

I lived and worked in stamford and Peterborough for 10 years, that was between '93 to '03, I was always out in town as I was 18 when I.went there, don't remember any leicester fans I knew of, infact, they didn't even know what a chip cob was 🤣

Always been quite a few Leicester fans in Peterborough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Timing is everything, and as you say, Cov were a top side in the 60's and 70's.   (they won the John Player Cup in 73 and 74).

I seem to remember they were Tiger's biggest rivals - much bigger than Northampton.  

But Cov had dipped before "professionalism" came along, missed the boat, and their whole history since then has been different.

They did indeed miss the boat. Spot on. 

8 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Was all to do with the most-watched Premier League games by postcode area. Leicestershire was one of the few areas where the local team actually was dominant, if I remember rightly.

That's yet another reason we need to expand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Timing is everything, and as you say, Cov were a top side in the 60's and 70's.   (they won the John Player Cup in 73 and 74).

I seem to remember they were Tiger's biggest rivals - much bigger than Northampton.  

But Cov had dipped before "professionalism" came along, missed the boat, and their whole history since then has been different.

Great point. 

Off on a tangent, fro this thread, but the timing element was the opposite for Tigers. Their first John player cup final v Gloucester in about 77 had thousands from Gloucester and only hundreds of Tigers. Very much the underdog. Two or three consecutive finals later, Tigers had transformed themselves into the big team. 

After the midweek Norwich match this year I got the last train back to Ely and at least 10 of us got off,I was quite impressed.

I used to work for a Bank in Cambridge and their were 4 of us,I was the only one not from Leicester ,but the only one that went to matches.

2 hours ago, splinterdream said:

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Always been quite a few Leicester fans in Peterborough.

I had a time in Peterborough, plus  cousins who worked in Peterborough, 

We together agreed most supported Peterborough.. quite a few also Tigers fans.. 

Around the shire Loughbourough and surrounding villages was

my closest Association, living in Loughborough for a spell, my social life centered around it, even my sporting contacts, GF, students to various professions/trades, various new immigrants a right melting pot of local born, outside students, home students, and also a melting pot of immigrants from different lands... 

Most were Foxes/Tiger fans, once one sprawled around Villages, there was that divide, closer to Nottingham...then obviously the loyalties change. 

The biggest split around the villages was more often the Sport itself , Either Forest or city both sets  having nothing then to do with Tigers/Nottingham RFC. 

Few like myself  shared their own loyalties across sports. Quite a few stick in the muds.. 

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Great point. 

Off on a tangent, fro this thread, but the timing element was the opposite for Tigers. Their first John player cup final v Gloucester in about 77 had thousands from Gloucester and only hundreds of Tigers. Very much the underdog. Two or three consecutive finals later, Tigers had transformed themselves into the big team. 

By 1980 they had a good following to the finals.  

In fact, we lost a few fans that day as we were away to Wrexham, and quite a lot chose to have a day out on the beer in London instead.

(brilliant day out mind.  Tense 1-0 win, superb Eddie Kelly freekick,   Larry May clearance off the line.   Funniest thing of the day was after the match a rather rotund (20+ stone) Leicester fan chasing Wrexham fans down the road.   He really didn't look like he should've been doing that, but it was funny!)

• Like 1

Not counting glory supporters (I don't consider them as football fans) Loughborough was 60/40 Leicester to Forest when I was growing up, and I imagine it's swung more in our favour since winning the league. Hardly any Derby in Loughborough. Once you go north of Loughborough it's heavily Forest and vice versa south with Leicester.

If I am to consider glory supporters, then I would suspect that there are more Liverpool/United followers in the city of Leicester than us. I used to work in Leicester and I was outnumbered by Liverpool and Man United followers. 

Lived in London for 5 years and Arsenal and Tottenham are comfortably clear of Chelsea.

This thread reminded me something we did at the Merc back in the summer of 2008: a survey of 700+ kids at schools across the county, to see who they supported.

We’d just dropped to the third tier for the first time, of course, so maybe it wasn’t surprising that glory-hunting kids turned their backs on the club, but even so, the results were grim. 

Only 17 per cent of the 11 to 13-year-olds who took part in our study support Leicester as their top team - way behind the 43 per cent who cheer on Man United.

Pete Jones, Leicester City's supporter relations manager, calls the results "disappointing".

"It's not good to discover Leicester are not the first team in their own city," says Pete.

Soccer sociologist John Williams, director of the university's Sir Norman Chester Centre for Football Research, confesses his surprise at City's "incredibly low" number of young fans.

"I knew Leicester was not going to be the most popular club," he says. "What I didn't realise is how unpopular they were among this age group."

It gets even worse. A paltry three per cent of youngsters named someone in a City shirt as their favourite player.

Manchester United's Ronaldo got more than a third of that particular vote, while one-in-10 went for Liverpool's Fernando Torres.

Asked about the prospects for the new season, 38 per cent of kids gloomily predicted another relegation dogfight for Leicester, 32 per cent forecast mid-table mediocrity and only 13 per cent thought the club will go up as champions.

The cynicism is hardly surprising, according to John.

"We're at a particularly low point in Leicester's history," he says. "The club has never been lower than this. It is a long way from developing local heroes, never mind national heroes.

"The chairman has changed the manager a lot and the players have changed a lot. Adults and kids have found it difficult to identify with them because they change so frequently."

In Big Ron pundit-speak, the club has lost the dressing room.

Past generations might have been prepared to follow City through thick and thin, but today's fickle youngsters - seduced by the glamour and the glitz of the moneybags Premier League - are less easily pleased. They want Champions League runs and step-overs, not dummies who can't win two home games in a row.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bum Scissors said:

This thread reminded me something we did at the Merc back in the summer of 2008: a survey of 700+ kids at schools across the county, to see who they supported.

We’d just dropped to the third tier for the first time, of course, so maybe it wasn’t surprising that glory-hunting kids turned their backs on the club, but even so, the results were grim. 

Only 17 per cent of the 11 to 13-year-olds who took part in our study support Leicester as their top team - way behind the 43 per cent who cheer on Man United.

Pete Jones, Leicester City's supporter relations manager, calls the results "disappointing".

"It's not good to discover Leicester are not the first team in their own city," says Pete.

Soccer sociologist John Williams, director of the university's Sir Norman Chester Centre for Football Research, confesses his surprise at City's "incredibly low" number of young fans.

"I knew Leicester was not going to be the most popular club," he says. "What I didn't realise is how unpopular they were among this age group."

It gets even worse. A paltry three per cent of youngsters named someone in a City shirt as their favourite player.

Manchester United's Ronaldo got more than a third of that particular vote, while one-in-10 went for Liverpool's Fernando Torres.

Asked about the prospects for the new season, 38 per cent of kids gloomily predicted another relegation dogfight for Leicester, 32 per cent forecast mid-table mediocrity and only 13 per cent thought the club will go up as champions.

The cynicism is hardly surprising, according to John.

"We're at a particularly low point in Leicester's history," he says. "The club has never been lower than this. It is a long way from developing local heroes, never mind national heroes.

"The chairman has changed the manager a lot and the players have changed a lot. Adults and kids have found it difficult to identify with them because they change so frequently."

In Big Ron pundit-speak, the club has lost the dressing room.

Past generations might have been prepared to follow City through thick and thin, but today's fickle youngsters - seduced by the glamour and the glitz of the moneybags Premier League - are less easily pleased. They want Champions League runs and step-overs, not dummies who can't win two home games in a row.

I would have been 13 at the time of that survey, as someone now in their late 20s, there’s a lot of people who I went to school with, who have now changed their team to Leicester. I don’t know what to think of it but I suppose they’ll never have the playground memory of pretending to be Ryan Smith or Iain Hume.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I wonder who wins Skeg Vegas cup in the summer 😆

In terms of shirts you usually see

Leicester 

Forest

Sheffield Wednesday 

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool 

Chelsea 

Always see leeds too...they're normally a skinny bloke with shit moustache with a 22 stone mrs.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I don't actually know anyone from West London who supports Chelsea. Spurs and Arsenal have the biggest followings, by far.

Living in West London, all my mates support either Fulham, Brentford or Chelsea.

Quite a few Foxes fans are  littered about in my old town of Northampton but mostly it's a rugby town these days since the 90s/00s, large support wise when the Saints became successful - with the rest there mostly supporting the Cobblers (NTFC) or any of the 'big six'.

On 14/01/2024 at 20:24, Leicesterpool said:

Tigers are probably like the Man Utd of football, very successful and attracted fans all over. For years Tigers were once the dominant force of rugby union.

I was in a pub in Norwich and seen someone with a Tigers top on, I asked him if he was from Leicester but he was from Norwich and a Norwich City fan.

On 16/01/2024 at 14:37, fox_up_north said:

I don't actually know anyone from West London who supports Chelsea. Spurs and Arsenal have the biggest followings, by far.

west londoners don't consider chelsea west london

On 16/01/2024 at 16:50, Molson Canadian said:

i don't think anyone in Oadby watches football bunch of old people in there homes with the doors locked.  well that's what it seems like to me everytime i visit lol.  i stay in Oadby as i have family there. 

used to be but the demographic has changed in the last 20 years.

losing some key pubs like the library had a major impact too

Edited by Out Foxed