Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattFox

Towns that are “Leicester”

Norfolk has always had a few, but generally Leicester exiles who've moved or retired out there. 

Obvs the club want a closed shop of supporters for its own unfathomable reasons, but assuming we can get back up and stay up, this season should be a lesson to us all that the brand image / perception of the club is unrecognisable to what it was a decade ago. And with that, is the opportunity to grow the base beyond the county and the occasional traditional isolated enclaves (Kettering, Nuneaton, Stamford)  and grow support into areas an hour or so away- Northants, South Lincs, Daventry, MK, Banbury type areas - all  lack a local PL club 

Where I live we have a Coventry fan next door. The other side of us we have  two Leicester fans.

Just down the road is a Liverpool fan, top of the road are Forest, Brum and Leeds fans!

The guy who runs our sports club is an Everton fan.

Majority around here though are all Leicester. Oh and Daka lives just up the road.😊

2 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

I forget which one of Kegworth or Castle Donington it is (maybe both) but they have Derby post codes, yet are officially NW Leicestershire. Probably Kegworth.  Given it also has a boundary with Nottinghamshire, I don't mind if folk there support Derby. Some fairly civilised pubs there too. Not the worst part of the world, or even the Midlands.

Kegworth is a DE postcode too. I'd say its more Leicester than any other, though there are a few tree supporters around too.

Living near the borders in south leicester and growing up there, it was mostly spilt between Leicester and Cov, they were the better team then as well, they had been in the premier/division 1 for so long at that point. But going to all the European away games we had last few years, I noticed all the flags up were north Leicester postcodes or places. Think there is much bigger support base in the north of leicester, your shepshed coalville, etc. 

I remember the 1st day we moved into our 1st house at Thurcaston Park 1995 opposite walkers crisps factory bennion Road.

Went out the back and on the washing line next door was a f@#£#t shirt...lad introduced himself and his Mrs...straight away I replied that shirt will  need washing again ,it's covered in shit....nice couple though great neighbours.

9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

There are a few decent ones from around Europe online, as well as that one of London that everyone from London seems to reckon is nonsense.

Nottingham have a reasonably-sized rugby team, though.

Didn't even Cloughie one time even say that Nottingham wasn't a football town? 

8 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Plenty of Liverpool 'fans' in Harborough. I work with too many ! 

The Nags Head is full of 'em when they're on the tv.

Tigers, obviously are popular. 

Predominantly City fans though tbf. 

Same as you'd get in any other town around the country, really. Always found the Nags fuller if we're on than anyone else is.

You do get a few Arsenal fans about (including one branch of my mum's side) due to being descended from evacuees who were sent there from North London during the war, and then stayed in the area after and married into local families.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Maybe because Tigers have always been strongest Rugby team throughout the midlands. Until wasps fake franchise turned up, the only decent midlands top flight rugby team was The Tigers. The tigers represented the region pretty much.

Coventry were a top rugby side in the 50s to 70s, with the likes of the great David Duckham who we in Wales loved so much we called him Dai Duckham. What a player. 

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Coventry were a top rugby side in the 50s to 70s, with the likes of the great David Duckham who we in Wales loved so much we called him Dai Duckham. What a player. 

Timing is everything, and as you say, Cov were a top side in the 60's and 70's.   (they won the John Player Cup in 73 and 74).

I seem to remember they were Tiger's biggest rivals - much bigger than Northampton.  

But Cov had dipped before "professionalism" came along, missed the boat, and their whole history since then has been different.

• Like 2

Is this entire thread actually based on anything? 😅 Just seems like people making up percentages and shouting out place names and guesses. Most supporters aren’t going to wear a football kit to go shopping in. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Villa are funny one as urban Brum and south Brum they aren't like particularly strong. But get out to Tamworth,. Kidderminster, Worcester, Redditch, Sutton Coldfield and yep, Ashby, it's a big ol' catchment area

13 hours ago, SK3Blue said:

There's quite a few over here in Atherstone, but it's mainly Villa fans here. 

I’m from Hinckley and the missus is from Atherstone and it’s so odd being so on the borderline. Hinckley is very Leicester as you’d expect. Venture into Nuneaton and you’ll get mostly Cov, but go up the A5 into Atherstone and you’re in Villa territory. Go into Lichfield/Tamworth now and again too and that is so Villa it’s ridiculous - probably more so than actually being in Birmingham. 

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Northampton rugby has a much more working class following than tigers. 

No they don't. It's either similar or the opposite. Just look at how much Northampton charge for tickets now compared to Tigers, their support has moved way posher in the last 10 years than it used to be whereas Tigers has stayed pretty similar. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danny. said:

Is this entire thread actually based on anything? 😅 Just seems like people making up percentages and shouting out place names and guesses. Most supporters aren’t going to wear a football kit to go shopping in. 

98 per cent guess work.

Wasn’t there a Sky survey thing a couple of years ago that said we were the best supported side in something like the Shetland or Orkney Islands?

24 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

98 per cent guess work.

Wasn’t there a Sky survey thing a couple of years ago that said we were the best supported side in something like the Shetland or Orkney Islands?

Was all to do with the most-watched Premier League games by postcode area. Leicestershire was one of the few areas where the local team actually was dominant, if I remember rightly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lanefox said:

People from Ashby are too far up their own arse 

As somebody who was born in Ashby De La Zouch I can confirm that I am “up my own arse”. 

More to the point I’m 100% Leicester and believe that most of the town is (although, unlike my dad and grandparents, I’ve never actually lived there).