Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattFox

Towns that are “Leicester”

On 16/01/2024 at 14:37, Bum Scissors said:

This thread reminded me something we did at the Merc back in the summer of 2008: a survey of 700+ kids at schools across the county, to see who they supported.

We’d just dropped to the third tier for the first time, of course, so maybe it wasn’t surprising that glory-hunting kids turned their backs on the club, but even so, the results were grim. 

Only 17 per cent of the 11 to 13-year-olds who took part in our study support Leicester as their top team - way behind the 43 per cent who cheer on Man United.

Pete Jones, Leicester City's supporter relations manager, calls the results "disappointing".

"It's not good to discover Leicester are not the first team in their own city," says Pete.

Soccer sociologist John Williams, director of the university's Sir Norman Chester Centre for Football Research, confesses his surprise at City's "incredibly low" number of young fans.

"I knew Leicester was not going to be the most popular club," he says. "What I didn't realise is how unpopular they were among this age group."

It gets even worse. A paltry three per cent of youngsters named someone in a City shirt as their favourite player.

Manchester United's Ronaldo got more than a third of that particular vote, while one-in-10 went for Liverpool's Fernando Torres.

Asked about the prospects for the new season, 38 per cent of kids gloomily predicted another relegation dogfight for Leicester, 32 per cent forecast mid-table mediocrity and only 13 per cent thought the club will go up as champions.

The cynicism is hardly surprising, according to John.

"We're at a particularly low point in Leicester's history," he says. "The club has never been lower than this. It is a long way from developing local heroes, never mind national heroes.

"The chairman has changed the manager a lot and the players have changed a lot. Adults and kids have found it difficult to identify with them because they change so frequently."

In Big Ron pundit-speak, the club has lost the dressing room.

Past generations might have been prepared to follow City through thick and thin, but today's fickle youngsters - seduced by the glamour and the glitz of the moneybags Premier League - are less easily pleased. They want Champions League runs and step-overs, not dummies who can't win two home games in a row.

Imagine the numbers in 16 17 till the gloryhunting little bastards realised we were average again 

3 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

used to be but the demographic has changed in the last 20 years.

losing some key pubs like the library had a major impact too

i enjoyed going to the blues pub on uplands road when i visited in the past.  watch some matches there. too bad it's gone now. my grandparents have been in that area (windrush drive) since the original homes were built along there i think 1960's.  my grandfather has said the demographics have changed a lot in the immediate area. 

5 minutes ago, Molson Canadian said:

i enjoyed going to the blues pub on uplands road when i visited in the past.  watch some matches there. too bad it's gone now. my grandparents have been in that area (windrush drive) since the original homes were built along there i think 1960's.  my grandfather has said the demographics have changed a lot in the immediate area. 

Oadby was, as you'd expect for a large suburb 4 miles from the centre, a City stronghold.  They had quite a few boys back in the 80s and 90s too. 

The place has changed beyond recognition, down to the mass Asian influx, obsessed initially with enrolling the Kids at Beauchamp school.

I'm not shy to say it. It isn't anti Asian to say so. The housing stock has been absolutely butchered. Though, funnily enough, the town centre is thriving. 

And large portions of the Asian community prefer to follow Liverpool and Man Utd. I've always guessed it's a deep rooted cultural thing to be perceived as successful and obvs the winning odds (long term) are stacked in Liverpool's and Man Utds favour 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Oadby was, as you'd expect for a large suburb 4 miles from the centre, a City stronghold.  They had quite a few boys back in the 80s and 90s too. 

The place has changed beyond recognition, down to the mass Asian influx, obsessed initially with enrolling the Kids at Beauchamp school.

I'm not shy to say it. It isn't anti Asian to say so. The housing stock has been absolutely butchered. Though, funnily enough, the town centre is thriving. 

And large portions of the Asian community prefer to follow Liverpool and Man Utd. I've always guessed it's a deep rooted cultural thing to be perceived as successful and obvs the winning odds (long term) are stacked in Liverpool's and Man Utds favour 

It’s more that they don’t have the parental influence to either follow their local team or to go to games live. Also quite a few actually do follow their parents team, it’s just that their parents were Liverpool glory hunters in the 70’s:D 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

As an Asian with ties to Oadby, On behalf of all Asians of Oadby, I’m sorry we’ve butchered the housing stock. Whatever that means.

As for an Asian preference to follow Man U and Liverpool. It’s more to do with background. There isn’t a generational tie to Leicester City as others in the area. The “Asians” (and hate that term because it’s grouping so many different types together), in Leicester tend to come from Africa (not all, but a large percentage of us who have been ridiculously successful (see what I’ve done there)), where Georgie Best and Kenny Dalglish (if any) were the ones known to our dads. The cricket, far more of interest. The Asians, unless they had personal circumstances linking them to Leicester City (something I had) acquired a taste for the game without a tradition within the family, hence picking the teams who tended to be on telly a bit more, easier to gain knowledge of. It’s quite understandable. 

I get ya, and don't be over sensitive. 

Couple of points. Asians, yup, is a lazy/easy to use catch all term. In the way 'City fans' or 'Man U fans' is a catch all term. 

Second, yeah, makes sense there isnt the generational ties. But not is there to Man U. You will know as well as I do that there's a leaning towards winning in life with British Asians , more than say a white British family has. 

Thirdly, housing stock. Some of the previously nice houses are ****ing dumps. Single glazed, gardens all over the shop, hideous extensions. It's degraded the area. Tis what it is. It's not a race thing, just observational. Like I might say that Leicester city centre has taken a turn for the worse with Vape shops. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I get ya, and don't be over sensitive. 

Couple of points. Asians, yup, is a lazy/easy to use catch all term. In the way 'City fans' or 'Man U fans' is a catch all term. 

Second, yeah, makes sense there isnt the generational ties. But not is there to Man U. You will know as well as I do that there's a leaning towards winning in life with British Asians , more than say a white British family has. 

Thirdly, housing stock. Some of the previously nice houses are ****ing dumps. Single glazed, gardens all over the shop, hideous extensions. It's degraded the area. Tis what it is. It's not a race thing, just observational. Like I might say that Leicester city centre has taken a turn for the worse with Vape shops. 

I don’t think there is a connection just giving you an explanation, which again, is understandable. 

Winning in life ? Perhaps there is. I have absolutely no idea. I’ve met many driven and not so driven Asians. As well as many from other backgrounds.  Given that there are a large amount of successful white (and other communities) in this country, not a clue who that is more insulting to. I think it’s a foolish comment. We can only speak for ourselves and Maybe you need to get off your ass and get some ambition ? Just an observation,

On the tangent in this convo, Take a drive down the area I grew up, being around The Fairway, The Broadway, Manor Road. . Absolutely beautiful “Asian” houses there. It might appease you. House prices in Oadby certainly haven’t taken a hit!

Edited by Mickyblueeyes

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

My grandparents were among the first asian family in that part of Oadby.  Grandpa a hardworking postal carrier with Royal Mail loved it back then.  He would tend to agree with you now about how it has changed.  Nobody has a sense of community anymore anywhere he said it really changed in the mid 90s. Before then he knew everyone around the neighbourhood he would walk every morning and evening during his strolls and everyone would stop to talk to each other and you could rely on your neighbours.  At that time the asian community they were around before he moved the family to Oadby in the 1960s all told him he was making a mistake that nobody else in the asian community lived over there and that he should keep his family around spinny hill park and east park road.  He replied with we all have to make an effort to fit in, can't keep to ourselves.  People were different back in the days i suppose.  Now as you say all the asians have come in droves, and it has changed totally.

Dad said the same lots of fans back then in that Oadby area they used to go to a lot of the matches together, sometimes even walk all the way back from filbert street stopping at pubs along the way lol.  He has told me stories of seeing keith weller, birch and the others of that time in the pubs like normal day to day people having pints with the locals.  Footballers now aren't like that now. Man City was here in Vancouver in 2011 for a friendly against the Whitecaps me and my friends saw the entire squad at a bar.  I tried to say hello to shaun wright phillips he looked like he was about to cry having to respond and say hello to anyone or interact with fans. 

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t think there is a connection just giving you an explanation, which again, is understandable. 

Winning in life ? Perhaps there is. I have absolutely no idea. I’ve met many driven and not so driven Asians. As well as many from other backgrounds.  Given that there are a large amount of successful white (and other communities) in this country, not a clue who that is more insulting to. I think it’s a foolish comment. We can only speak for ourselves and Maybe you need to get off your ass and get some ambition ? Just an observation,

On the tangent in this convo, Take a drive down the area I grew up, being around The Fairway, The Broadway, Manor Road. Drought on Road Soutb. Absolutely beautiful “Asian” houses there. It might appease you. House prices in Oadby certainly haven’t taken a hit!

Haha, as with anything and anyone in life Broadway, Fairway Manor Road are the extraordinary.... gorgeous area. Tbh, I've never seen such extensive quality housing stock in any city outside of London - regardless of the owner ethnicity.

My sights are more accustomed to the ordinary 1960s housing stock of semis. The classic little England. It's gone downhill. Poorly maintained. Just functioning and functional. 

Anyways, we digress. Just in case you had any doubt, I like Leicester people following Leicester. Rich. Poor. White. Hindu. Female (well less so them...jokes!). Gay. Muslim. Polish. Students. Tourists. I naturally have a distaste for anyone living here and not backing us. It's a colour blind dislike. 

Guest Fox99

Depends where you’re located of course but tend to see Villa around more than other Midlands clubs. I recall reading somewhere that Hunstanton in Norfolk was once known as Leicester on sea.

Edited by AW LCFC

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Haha, as with anything and anyone in life Broadway, Fairway Manor Road are the extraordinary.... gorgeous area. Tbh, I've never seen such extensive quality housing stock in any city outside of London - regardless of the owner ethnicity.

My sights are more accustomed to the ordinary 1960s housing stock of semis. The classic little England. It's gone downhill. Poorly maintained. Just functioning and functional. 

Anyways, we digress. Just in case you had any doubt, I like Leicester people following Leicester. Rich. Poor. White. Hindu. Female (well less so them...jokes!). Gay. Muslim. Polish. Students. Tourists. I naturally have a distaste for anyone living here and not backing us. It's a colour blind dislike. 

I can agree with you on that. I’ve had many the argument with Man U supporting cousins who happened to showed up as full kit willy pullers to our title parade. I understand that frustration. 

Was simply giving you a reason for why it occurred. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AW LCFC said:

Depends where you’re located of course but tend to see Villa around more than other Midlands clubs, makes sense given the size of the fanbase. I recall reading somewhere that Hunstanton in Norfolk was once known as Leicester on sea.

Whole area is full of Leicester. 

Made a joke to a solihull living colleague when we went on holiday to Cromer its full of Leicester. It took three hours of him being there wearing a Tigers jacket for someone to ask him where he was from in Leicester 

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Second, yeah, makes sense there isnt the generational ties. But not is there to Man U

I think it’s more; when they came over, they didn’t have the money to spend on going down Filbert Street every other week.

Leicester were hardly ever shown on TV, whereas Man U and Liverpool were, thus making it easier to watch. People picked teams they’d want to win a game that they’re watching on TV, then that transpired into them supporting them.

And if your dad/family supports a team, you’re more likely to do so aswell. 

But as there’s an increasing amount of money in the community, more and more can get down to games, making it easier to support the city.

I agree it’s an issue, but what could anyone do to help it now?

10 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

My grandparents were among the first asian family in that part of Oadby.  Grandpa a hardworking postal carrier with Royal Mail loved it back then.  He would tend to agree with you now about how it has changed.  Nobody has a sense of community anymore anywhere he said it really changed in the mid 90s. Before then he knew everyone around the neighbourhood he would walk every morning and evening during his strolls and everyone would stop to talk to each other and you could rely on your neighbours.  At that time the asian community they were around before he moved the family to Oadby in the 1960s all told him he was making a mistake that nobody else in the asian community lived over there and that he should keep his family around spinny hill park and east park road.  He replied with we all have to make an effort to fit in, can't keep to ourselves.  People were different back in the days i suppose.  Now as you say all the asians have come in droves, and it has changed totally.

Yikes. Not even sure where to start with this post.

I live in Basildon and can confirm that I have never seen another Leicester fan there. The only time I see anyone else in Leicester stuff is my son when he comes over.

Loads of West Ham and obviously armchair fans of Liverpool and Man United.

21 hours ago, OadbyBlue said:

It’s more that they don’t have the parental influence to either follow their local team or to go to games live. Also quite a few actually do follow their parents team, it’s just that their parents were Liverpool glory hunters in the 70’s:D 

Any ethnic minority fans in the 70s and 80s would have been put off attending games by the awful culture in grounds. TV supporters are far more likely to follow the big clubs when we would have only been on tv for half a dozen 10 minute slots per season.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

I live in Basildon and can confirm that I have never seen another Leicester fan there. The only time I see anyone else in Leicester stuff is my son when he comes over.

Loads of West Ham and obviously armchair fans of Liverpool and Man United.

Leicester fans rare in my neck of the woods.  Years ago I saw a bloke in a Leicester shirt when in a bank queue. I was in business clothes for work so had to introduce myself and shake his hand. All Spurs and Arsenal in my area with the other London clubs represented as well.

43 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Any ethnic minority fans in the 70s and 80s would have been put off attending games by the awful culture in grounds.

Exactly that. 

The notion that, say, Dion Dublin in his youth living on Filbert Street itself could nip over and stand on the Kop was absurd. Heskey was the same - had to follow Liverpool as a kid as it was easier to do that remotely than hsi parents subject him to the abuse thrown at black players. 

Conversely,.black players were much more readily accepted in local football circles in the 80s. A classic case of when people actually get to know one another, they see a person and not a colour 

• Like 2

On 14/01/2024 at 19:39, splinterdream said:

i lived in Stamford, not many supported Leicester when i lived there, Peteborough the majority

There is a pub in Stamford which hints at being owned / ran by a Leicester fan.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of watching last weeks game alongside a day tripping Coventry fan in there 😏

For completeness, there is also a pub a short walk away owned and run by a Middlesbrough fan. 

Just a chip in but my experience of 'asian families 'is that they can be incredibly houseproud and have very nice interiors but for some reason do not really do gardens .Often pave everything over,

If you want to see rubbish badly kept housing its all around town on the estates.Renters just dont tend to look after the place as owners do

17 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Just a chip in but my experience of 'asian families 'is that they can be incredibly houseproud and have very nice interiors but for some reason do not really do gardens .Often pave everything over,

If you want to see rubbish badly kept housing its all around town on the estates.Renters just dont tend to look after the place as owners do

I’m going to take a wild guess and suggest wrong thread as a minimum…