Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Things you never see anymore

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Years ago when I was a porter at the LGH, one crash landed in the grounds and even though it was a hospital we had to phone an ambulance to take the one injured guy to... hospital.

Imagine if that happened now, with the often long waiting times for an ambulance?

You can imagine a scenario where the A&E doctors would be coming out to tend to/stabilise any injured persons until the ambulance arrived. :blink:

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

The seemingly hundreds of empty nursing houses on Hospital Close next to the hospital is absolutely disgraceful.

They belong to the council now and have done for some time.

BBC - Leicester City Council bought Hospital Close in 2021 after the estate was virtually abandoned two years before.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

You wont catch me in one. My wife and my Dad went in one around 20 years ago and they both said was one of the best experiences of their lives, even though the basket did topple over on landing

They are amazing.  Even if the basket tips over on landing.  

On 07/06/2024 at 13:36, MPH said:

I went to Lancaster Boys School and if you were in PE and you were not listening or talking when they were talking, you'd get a basketball thrown at speed at your head. Troy Thacker and Mr Sandford were the main culprits lol . Both played for the Tigers at various times.

Yup I've had a basketball to the back of the head from Sanford and the chalk duster from Seddon in science.

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yup I've had a basketball to the back of the head from Sanford and the chalk duster from Seddon in science.

On 07/06/2024 at 13:36, MPH said:

I went to Lancaster Boys School and if you were in PE and you were not listening or talking when they were talking, you'd get a basketball thrown at speed at your head. Troy Thacker and Mr Sandford were the main culprits lol . Both played for the Tigers at various times.

Ha, when did you both go? I had both Sandford & Seddon but never had the assault.

20 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Ha, when did you both go? I had both Sandford & Seddon but never had the assault.

I've been chalked by Nelson, who was a maths teacher, ancient even back in the early 90's.   Old school and was not afraid to lob chalk or make you do laps of the school. 

Thacker was a good laugh when he wasn't beasting you.  

Was Sandford the dude with one gammy eye, which made it impossible to know exactly where he was looking at any given moment?  Or was that McCann.  Its hard to remember now.  

However, who could forget the delectable Dr Nield... 

Edit I say who could forget but there is every possibility I have misremembered her name.  A very attractive science teacher.  

Edited by Bordersfox

43 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Mr Mason in his massive flares trying to teach you Maths?

43 minutes ago, Rain King said:

They probably ended up giving someone concussion  or killing them and decided they probably can’t do that anymore..

I was there from 1986- 1991

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Mr Previtt smoking in the history dept. office and the smoking billowing out into the hallway at the top of the stairs lol

My favourite teacher. Used to speak for the whole lesson and my exercise book was empty at the end of the year but he was fascinating and I learnt more from him than any other teacher. History was my favourite lesson.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rain King said:

My favourite teacher. Used to speak for the whole lesson and my exercise book was empty at the end of the year but he was fascinating and I learnt more from him than any other teacher. History was my favourite lesson.

I always scored really high in his class. Him and Mr. John were really good history teachers!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wymsey said:

The seemingly hundreds of empty nursing houses on Hospital Close next to the hospital is absolutely disgraceful.

Again, back in the day when I was a porter there, we often had to go and clear houses after a doctor and his/her family had moved out.

The state they were left in at times, was eye opening. Doors broken off hinges, questionable stains on mattresses, cookers unusable from having food burnt in the oven and on the hobs. Dog shite in wardrobes (they weren't allowed pets in the property). Dining tables broken, chairs stained. 

Even a top loader washing machine bunged up by debris which turned out to be rice that the occupier had tried to boil in the machine.

And more besides.

These were professional, intelligent people, supposedly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...