Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Muzzy_no7

Leicester 1-1 Ipswich Post Match Thread

Ticky tacky triangles at the back in the 80th min is asking for be punished  it needs to stop 

talking points 

1) outstanding first half against a very good team 

2) Big Willie was so so slow with Subs and cost us the game 

3) premier league teams will destroy us unless we spend massively next summer, have we got that cash ?  

still worried about our medium term future 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to try and keep my post as non reactionary as possible..but...

We've likely got the best, and most expensive team this division has ever seen yet we're seeing the same mistakes now as we were at the beginning of the season. I genuinely can't name a game this season where we've dominated and looked solid for the full 90.

We insist on this possession based football, which i fully understand and have become more accepting of, but when we do make all of those passes, and create a break through, we look completely lost. We don't seem to be able to get our strikers involved in the game and whenever we manage to get a goal, we seem to go ultra negative as if we are holding out a 3 goal lead.

I thought we were very good first half. Won almost all 50/50's and dominated. Second half we couldn't have done much more to get them a goal other than actually put it in the net for them (Which, ironically they did for us).

My frustration doesn't necessarily come from dropping points today, it comes from how we do it - That was an absolute gift of a point for Ipswich.

The 'But we're top' brigade are going to be in for a real shock when we enter the Premier League next season with these tactics and, bar a couple of new faces, the same squad.

• Like 4

Just now, EastAnglianFox said:

I think he now warrants a run of games imo not the odd start here and there.

My point was more you mentioned him maybe helping us to stop conceding late goals, when in fact he's been involved in a fair few of those games. In general we've also looked a bit shite when he's played.

Does anyone actually believe this team is good enough for the EPL. Is it better than the team that got itself relegated outside of the goalkeeper? I think next year looking set to be a lot of heavy 4 goal plus thrashings and easy pickings as we struggle to pass beyond the half way line with our 10 man back line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

So their keeper didn't make some great saves and they also cleared one of the line or did I imagine that? 

We did create more tonight than we have in a lot of games. I actually think we played well, the first half in particular was one of our best first halves of the season.

It was the last 20 minutes or so that worried me, we really sat deep and lost all composure, it just felt like it was coming. 

Guest glasgowfox
6 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

He came on with 10 minutes to play after we seem to have lost all momentum and still created a decent chance. Wouldn’t judge anyone on such snippets.

He's had more than snipets get real

We need to stop playing this cocky keep ball in our own third and attack. So much space in behind them and we very rarely attempted to exploit it. We’re at home, attack and try to create more chances, especially second half when attacking the kop!!! Tactics were to kill the game at home with 30+ minutes, who wants to watch that even if we do come away with a 1-0 win! Fvcking ATTACK!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Usually the first to take this line of thinking myself, but the inability to close out a game is not only incredibly frustrating, but unless we sort it, it will become a genuine achilles heel. 

It's put a real downer on things for me. I don't think it's a player staff problem, it's an ideology. You can see how the players just stop playing football at 70 minutes if we're defending a tight lead. People will say don't think about the EPL, but it's difficult to imagine this problem not rearing it's head next season. It speaks to that soft underbelly that relegated us last season. Why can't we do the dark arts like pretty much every other team does? One sub on 88 minutes, another on 90, that kind of thing. Take the sting out of the game.

Given we will need to win games by a goal if we're to get by next season, that's going to be one hell of a problem. Not many games next season we'll be 2 or 3 up with 20 to play.

The last 5 times we've had a 1 goal lead with 20 to go, we've let it slip. It's a pattern.

We're too good for the vast majority of teams in this league and we have a big gap, so I have no worries about this season. 

Isn't it funny though that whenever a half decent team applies pressure, we crumble? Doesn't bode well.

No surprise for me after a tough Christmas period with fatigue and injuries set in.

We know we would be hit by Afcon, no Ndidi, Patson or Nacho 3 of a 25 man squad unavailable.

Add to that the lose of Casadi getting recalled and Fatawu suspended.

Akgun, Vardy, Praet and Macteer all come back from injury breaks needing to get match fitness.

• Like 3

I don't think we necessarily dropped deep in the closing stages, but what were Winks and Ricardo doing for the goal? The space on the edge of the area was ridiculous, with the introduction of Akgün, we had a chance for him to push as the attacking point of our midfield and Winks and Ricardo to provide more strength to protect the back four, the opposite happened on the one dangerous opening they created at the end.

Really frustrating. We created plenty, they got in to it more 2nd half but I still didn't mind our performance 2nd half until their subs started to ask more questions and we didn't seize the opportunity to be braver going forward. 

McAteer was so wasteful tonight, caused them all sorts of problems u til he actually got the ball and was then utterly abysmal with it. There's a player in there but a huge work in progress.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DennisNedry said:

We did create more tonight than we have in a lot of games. I actually think we played well, the first half in particular was one of our best first halves of the season.

It was the last 20 minutes or so that worried me, we really sat deep and lost all composure, it just felt like it was coming. 

How many chances did they create until another jammy deflection? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Tom Cannon is going to be absolutely top class but boy must he get fed up playing in our slow possession based game at times. No idea why we can’t hit the channels a bit more and move the ball more quickly. It’s so frustrating 

Definitely, I don’t know why we don’t try and mix it up a bit. 

3 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I'm going to try and keep my post as non reactionary as possible..but...

We've likely got the best, and most expensive team this division has ever seen yet we're seeing the same mistakes now as we were at the beginning of the season. I genuinely can't name a game this season where we've dominated and looked solid for the full 90.

We insist on this possession based football, which i fully understand and have become more accepting of, but when we do make all of those passes, and create a break through, we look completely lost. We don't seem to be able to get our strikers involved in the game and whenever we manage to get a goal, we seem to go ultra negative as if we are holding out a 3 goal lead.

I thought we were very good first half. Won almost all 50/50's and dominated. Second half we couldn't have done much more to get them a goal other than actually put it in the net for them (Which, ironically they did for us).

My frustration doesn't necessarily come from dropping points today, it comes from how we do it - That was an absolute gift of a point for Ipswich.

The 'But we're top' brigade are going to be in for a real shock when we enter the Premier League next season with these tactics and, bar a couple of new faces, the same squad.

IF we enter the premier league

15 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

No. But we should have won this one because we were miles better than them, but we threw it away when we didn't need to. People are going to be frustrated.

well, where it mattered, their keeper was miles better than ours tonight and that is the difference between us winning 3-0 and drawing 1-1.

The last time we drew against Ipswich they only got any foothold in the game after we took KDH and Ndidi off. Perhaps EM was reluctant to make changes again? This time he left it too late when the players started to lose energy but, ultimately, the outcome was the same. 

I wonder whether it’s just a case that the replacements aren’t at the same level. It doesn’t matter in games where we’re 2 or 3 up, but in tight games it shows. Especially if the team we’re playing is capable themselves.

We’re not likely to get many signings in January, but an extra CM would help greatly. We can just about cope when one of Ndidi, Winks and KDH isn’t playing, but when 2 of the 3 are off the pitch we don’t have the same control. You could make similar arguments for other areas of the pitch, but CM is the most visible and obvious area 

Guest glasgowfox
14 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Odd take from his cameo in this match, but agree that he hasn’t set the place alight. 

It's not from tonight's cameo...I don't even know his best or not so bad position tbh...he's slow, light weight and can't see beyond 10 yards....

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Typical overreaction to the result and Southampton form on here.

Another day we win convincingly.

Southampton on there god like run of 20 games unbeaten run have taken 3 more points then us. 

It's like people are forgetting all the 1-1 draws against average teams they've had in this unbeaten run. Would like to say it's just annoyance immediately after the game but not so sure!

• Like 1