Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Muzzy_no7

Leicester 1-1 Ipswich Post Match Thread

34 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Usually the first to take this line of thinking myself, but the inability to close out a game is not only incredibly frustrating, but unless we sort it, it will become a genuine achilles heel. 

It's put a real downer on things for me. I don't think it's a player staff problem, it's an ideology. You can see how the players just stop playing football at 70 minutes if we're defending a tight lead. People will say don't think about the EPL, but it's difficult to imagine this problem not rearing it's head next season. It speaks to that soft underbelly that relegated us last season. Why can't we do the dark arts like pretty much every other team does? One sub on 88 minutes, another on 90, that kind of thing. Take the sting out of the game.

Given we will need to win games by a goal if we're to get by next season, that's going to be one hell of a problem. Not many games next season we'll be 2 or 3 up with 20 to play.

The last 5 times we've had a 1 goal lead with 20 to go, we've let it slip. It's a pattern.

We're too good for the vast majority of teams in this league and we have a big gap, so I have no worries about this season. 

Isn't it funny though that whenever a half decent team applies pressure, we crumble? Doesn't bode well.

We had four shots, three on target, at least one of those was a fabulous save, after the 70 minute mark - so we certainly didn't stop playing at that point.

It is a worry that we're conceding late goals, but i don't agree that it's because we stop playing, i think it's because we aren't good at defending in panicky situations, and we're not good at time wasting - ironically if those four shots we took trying to finish the game off had been replaced by us taking the ball to the corner flag we might have still won.

36 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

The one moment he had he picked the wrong pass and over hit it.

Should have played in Vardy. 

Not really a surprise when he's getting so little game time. Ricardo and Winks were missing passes all night. As a fan base we're far too quick to judge players and write them off or put them down after a few games. Be good to see him start as an 8 on Saturday and put Ricky back in the 6 position where he's been excellent all season.

18 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I dunno if I watched a different game, but why were Ipswich fans so annoyed at the ref?

Because he failed to react to all the diving their players we're doing - obviously they are used to refs giving them everything when they're the 'big team'.

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He's had a chip on his shoulder for a while, turning into another Maddison I fear (not in ability). Thomas coming back probably hasn't helped.

I know what you mean but my heart sank when he went off as I knew it would leave a massive gaping hole as Yunus is not really a CM.

11 minutes ago, MPH said:

BBC.

but they are often wrong to be fair…

IMG_5360.png

Hermansen made a smart save at the start of the second half – and the shot that he parried, that lead to the shot for the goal. They very obviously didn’t just have one on target lol 

19 minutes ago, frany104 said:

If you play with the ball in their half instead of constantly going back to your own keeper you will not concede. We invite pressure onto us by insisting on ball retention for the sake of it .

im all for possession but there’s a time and place. Keep the ball in their half. How many times did we have our attackers all up in their half, second half? Very few. Maresca is not learning. 

you keep mentioning about the shots. How many games have we had when we are not clinical enough. Couple that with late pressure invited on by ourselves and we are a recipe for conceding late and crumbling. 

I think you've forgotten what you said - the point being made is that we were the better team and did enough to win, regardless of what you think of our tactics, we still had more and better chances and thus, going back to the original question - yes we did do enough to have won most days....

I’m not even sure how to begin other than that was utterly dreadful. 

So let’s start from the top, first half was alright. We looked in control and deserved the lead…. Second half is where things go south.

Was tonight an example of managerial and tactical ineptitude? Or a manager trying to be far too clever and it backfiring? 

That formation was frankly ridiculous, thankfully Ipswich are dog, a team with a more potent attack could have well taken us to the cleaners. I think it’s unfair to jump on Hamza, because he was asked to play a role far beyond his capabilities, both in and out of possession he was diabolical tonight, and looked lost. Then there was Ricardo, where exactly was he playing? Because he was nowhere near Winks who was made to play in midfield pretty much by himself. KDH was nothing short of horrendous, and MacAteer deteriorated rapidly as the game wore on. 

Second half was an absolute shambles, we may as well have put orange shirts on and played for Ipswich, ball retention was poor, the shape of the team was poor, and to be honest, I don’t think the lads had a clue what was being asked of them. There were pointless balls being lofted upfield, Mavadidi barely for a touch in the second half and to make matters worse, the more likely Ipswich started to look, the less we did. 

Tactically everything was wrong today, Maresca dropped a bollock. I’ve defended him stoutly this season, but I’ve now got some major concerns about him. I like his philosophy, but he is so inflexible with it that it’s going to start becoming a hindrance. Today had nothing to do with available players, it had everything to do with improper use of those players. This team has the ability to walk this league, but Enzo is employing his philosophy over the strengths of the team, and today just completely undermined everything we’re trying to do. 

I don’t think we will win the league, Enzo has proven yet again that his own ideology outweighs what is best for the team. Southampton will end up breezing past us, and we’re going to have to fight to keep our place in the top two, which I don’t think we’recapable of. 

Enzo needs to gather his thoughts and have a serious think about the rest of the season, because as it stands, we aren’t going to be achieving what we should be. I’ve got the same gut feeling I had about Rodgers when I began doubting him, you can’t be so one dimensional with your ideology, not unless you’ve got the best players in the world….. asking Hamza to play that role today, would be like asking a learner driver to drive a train….. just was never going to work. 

Im just baffled by this performance tonight, it was absolutely abhorrent, and it shouldn’t have been…… tonight was as bad as it ever was under Rodgers, and I’m not sure I can trust Maresca to do what’s necessary to put it right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Frustrated me late on when we're basically sitting with 11 men behind the half way line playing keep ball for keep balls sake, inviting pressure, letting Ipswich press us, then on the occasions we did cross the half way line we forgot how to pass the bleeding ball.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

We will still get 100+ points...

We are ruthlessly efficient against the weaker teams of this league but we are increasingly flaky in the genuine challenge games. I can't not be worried about that next season. You can't rely on superior quality every week when you... don't have superior quality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'll contradict myself here as I've said it's an ideological issue.

BUT, you make a good point here and Justin was probably the most guilty party. He's terrified of losing the ball or being at fault.

I'd rather have Doyle back there if we're not relying on Justin's recovery runs. At least he might be able to pick a pass in the space left in behind the chasing team. 

But I come back to it. Shit house it if you have to! Just break the game up by making subs every couple of minutes. So frustrating.

And even there he's been caught for pace several games this season - he may be faster than doyle, but he's not exactly electric.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We are ruthlessly efficient against the weaker teams of this league but we are increasingly flaky in the genuine challenge games. I can't not be worried about that next season. You can't rely on superior quality every week when you... don't have superior quality.

We need another overhaul in the prem next year. 

It's boring and getting incredibly predictable.  We are literally obsessed with possession which mainly consists of returning the ball backwards on mist occasions. Only Mavididi is allowed to attack. Both Fattawu and Mcateer are glorified advanced full backs. 

I'm sorry, I want to buy in to this project but they'll be absolute cannon fodder next season if they manage to see this through. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

No point worry about next season until we get there, we have no idea what the squad will look like.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, glasgowfox said:

Yes. We all have opinions it's called a forum.  I did not suggest you should  get real! Just responded to your opinion.  I stick by mine. I think he has nothing to offer other than making the bench if we are really short of players.  Said respectfully, maybe you should try it.

Wow! Didn’t realize it was a called a forum. Regardless, my opinion is that your telling those who disagree with your opinion to get real is laughable.