Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Callum O’Hare - Signed for Sheffield Utd.

Last I checked we were attempting to (or at least the concensus was that we'd like to) move away from players with certain attitudes/character traits.. 

Ticks every single box on a list of qualities I wouldn't want in a team-mate or a player for a side you'd expect to be in the trenches of a relegation dogfight again next season. And, technically, is he Prem level..? I'm not so sure.

Not for me. Avoid.

Think he’d be ok, decent touch, works hard, another one who doesn’t mind to get dirty, can chip in with a few goals and I think would be ok with rotation. 

Most importantly, I think he has a pretty good footballing brain and that’s what Enzo would be looking for 

9 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

Sign him if it’s on a free see if it works in the first year if not sell him back to championship for profit (or keep him if we end up back there)

As long as the wages aren't off putting for champ clubs, which given our current state you'd hope they wouldn't be, then this is a good shout.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimJams said:

As long as the wages aren't off putting for champ clubs, which given our current state you'd hope they wouldn't be, then this is a good shout.

You can’t sell him back to the EPL if you put him on 50k a week. He will be running down his contract to try and increase wages. Sort of deal we need to do right and I’m still not sure he’s actually any good. 

• Like 3

I thought that was pretty well covered when I said "As long as the wages aren't off putting for champ clubs"...  Any difference could be made up by the fact we'd be selling him, not letting him go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

You can’t sell him back to the EPL if you put him on 50k a week. He will be running down his contract to try and increase wages. Sort of deal we need to do right and I’m still not sure he’s actually any good. 

This is where my head has gone but you articulated it so much better.

The “free transfer” talk only makes logic if wages are considerably lower than what we’ve offered so much dross over the years.

If there becomes a bidding war between us and the likes of West Ham, I’d happily walk away.

4 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

This is where my head has gone but you articulated it so much better.

The “free transfer” talk only makes logic if wages are considerably lower than what we’ve offered so much dross over the years.

If there becomes a bidding war between us and the likes of West Ham, I’d happily walk away.

Forest reportedly put Josh Bowler on 30k a week (i know he wasnt a free), and then just loaned him out to various clubs. Never set foot in the PL squad and they are going to struggle to sell him. Not sure i want to be doing that sort of deal.

I think you are right in that the second their is a wages bidding war you get out. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CaliFOXnia said:

Last I checked we were attempting to (or at least the concensus was that we'd like to) move away from players with certain attitudes/character traits.. 

Ticks every single box on a list of qualities I wouldn't want in a team-mate or a player for a side you'd expect to be in the trenches of a relegation dogfight again next season. And, technically, is he Prem level..? I'm not so sure.

Not for me. Avoid.

I have the same misgivings, though I can see that his aggressive on-field nature and energy may be an asset to us.  Does anyone think there is anyone in our development squad who shows similar aggressiveness and skill and has the potential to reach the level required for the Prem?  Maybe there is someone who is a better investment than O'Hare. Obviously it would be a huge step-up for an academy player, but I would  say that O'Hare is hardly oven-ready for the Prem himself.

12 hours ago, deep blue said:

I have the same misgivings, though I can see that his aggressive on-field nature and energy may be an asset to us.  Does anyone think there is anyone in our development squad who shows similar aggressiveness and skill and has the potential to reach the level required for the Prem?  Maybe there is someone who is a better investment than O'Hare. Obviously it would be a huge step-up for an academy player, but I would  say that O'Hare is hardly oven-ready for the Prem himself.

As oven ready as Brexit 😂

On 04/05/2024 at 07:50, Chelmofox said:

Forest reportedly put Josh Bowler on 30k a week (i know he wasnt a free), and then just loaned him out to various clubs. Never set foot in the PL squad and they are going to struggle to sell him. Not sure i want to be doing that sort of deal.

I think you are right in that the second their is a wages bidding war you get out. 

He didn’t exactly bowl them over then? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He's not good enough to warrant a bidding war. He'd represent a good squad player who could offer an interesting option, but no more than that. If West Ham want to pay him £60k a week to sit on the bench, fine. We're better looking abroad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

He's not good enough to warrant a bidding war. He'd represent a good squad player who could offer an interesting option, but no more than that. If West Ham want to pay him £60k a week to sit on the bench, fine. We're better looking abroad.

So that means Rudkin will offer £80k a week then 

He isn’t a bad player in reality. 

For a free transfer and if we paid him £60k a week on a 3 year contract. That’s around £9.3m. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

He isn’t a bad player in reality. 

For a free transfer and if we paid him £60k a week on a 3 year contract. That’s around £9.3m. 

A good player at Championship level, certainly. Whether he would warrant that sort of money is another matter. I doubt he's on anything like that at Coventry, so offer him £40k and he should snap our hand off.

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

A good player at Championship level, certainly. Whether he would warrant that sort of money is another matter. I doubt he's on anything like that at Coventry, so offer him £40k and he should snap our hand off.

It’s going to be an interesting rebuild, as only then club know what they can / can’t spend.