Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

but often its boring to watch

…when you don’t understand the intricacies of the game and still allow old redundant opinions to sway your judgement… then yes, I supposed it is. Boring win after boring win…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

I'm becoming increasingly detached from the match-going fanbase that's unfortunately become a bit of a plague which has spread across all areas. It has got to the point where you feel embarrassed to start a chant or cheer on the boys (albeit which I still do) for fear of being abused for standing up, or shouting next to some old fart with a prawn sarnie. I don't have a solution other than extremely unpopular idea about having uncomfortable conversations to those who sit in silence about potentially doing something else with their day instead. I cannot fathom going to a ground and not making a squeak when a goal goes in but moan incessantly over a backpass.

It's becoming tiresome and depressing and with each passing game it gets worse and now clearly Enzo's had enough. 

We are TEN points clear and dispatching of 90% of the division with ease and scoring lots of goals. Be careful what you wish for!

Would you think about moving your seat to an area where more people are stood up and singing?

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

I'd rather have a half full stadium with people that want to be there than it being full with a load of entitled morons.

We're up there with one of the thickest fanbases in the country imo.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, David Hiorns said:

…when you don’t understand the intricacies of the game and still allow old redundant opinions to sway your judgement… then yes, I supposed it is. Boring win after boring win…

It's far too much for people to process these days.

2 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

But we pass teams to death primarily with our defenders in our own half. Effective or not it isn't possible to make that entertaining to watch. It's painfully similar to how we played under puel and latter years Rodgers. The main difference being we are no longer playing teams with enough quality to press us into mistakes and then successfully exploit them.

I would rather watch my team paly a controlled game (which, by-the-way, is a new style which we've picked up amazingly quickly, and is still developing) which still creates chances & goals, whilst conceding very few goals, than any other style of football.

This way is still entertaining, without the need for having that 'sinking feeling', in the pit of your stomach, that its about to go to rat shit any minute, even if we do concede.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Football isn't always having to play the ball forward all the time.

Some forget that.

It is a very binary and ridiculous view of a complex game. I know who I’d rather trust - a former player, manager and student of the game or numpties that have probably at best reached the dizzy heights of Sunday league.

If I was that unhappy I simply wouldn’t go as well. Negativity contributed to the shit show last season; and it’s the last thing we need now. 

Perhaps we need some banners and show of support for the style? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goose2010 said:

you think Rooney or Lampard would have got us into this position? You think working with a squad that had zero confidence, no system, no style, no self belief is easy to work with? It doesnt matter how much they are earning or how good they are meant to be. 

You think that winning 26 out of 34 with a squad playing a completely new style infront of a bunch of self entitled boo boys isn't a miracle? 

I cant believe how narrow minded a lot of fans seem to be. 

Spot on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

The opposition accounts on twitter discussing our first goal yesterday in a positive light. Pep changed the PL with his incredible style. Everybody wants to play like Pep now. Could Enzo do that for the Championship ?

It’s clearly a trend on how to get out this league as well. Look at Burnley last season with Kompany.

People see the dominance and expect that to lead to glorious free-flowing attacking football.

What they don't seem to see is that without the style, there wouldn't be any dominance.

Added to that, we have the likes of Mavididi and Fatawu who are very often our highest players, ahead of the 9, who absolutely love a rampaging run.

They are highly entertaining players and they've produced some wonderful moments, but you can't let them take every chance.

Enzo's doing a great job of keeping the balance in my opinion, especially with the younger players who are fired up. He's obviously got a couple of rules about how to determine the quality of the chance, and if it's on they're free to go nuts.

He doesn't chastise players for taking opportunities very often - you'll see him applaud and encourage after a miss or breakdown. He's not yelling at these creative players for having a go in the right circumstances.

The entertainment is there but you can't dominate a team without keeping the ball and being selective.

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 2

I don't understand how people say we're boring, yet we've scored the most goals in the league. We've also conceded the least, won the most and have the most points. Does the boredom not come from the fact that we're playing against teams who mainly sit back in a low block behind the ball in an attempt to make it more difficult for the best team in the league to score? Or are people bored because we're not watching any world class players anymore? 

I'm enjoying us playing with a definite style that's improving players and leading to positive results. There's nothing "boring" about that, in my opinion. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'd rather have a half full stadium with people that want to be there than it being full with a load of entitled morons.

We're up there with one of the thickest fanbases in the country imo.

Not sure about the thickest, we've certainly had more success and drama than a club our size could ever really expect. Most other teams will never even experience the sort of season we're having right now... where would it rank right now for us in the last 10 years? It's going to have an impact when you've experienced so much. 

I listed this a few years ago... we've already got a relegated and potential promotion to add on here. 

1990–91 - Stayed up on the last game of the season

1991–92 - Play off final runner up from a dodgy penno (Wembley)

1992–93 - Play off final runner up from a dodgy penno, after coming from 3-0 down. (Wembley)

1993–94 - Promoted to the premier league through play off final (Wembley)

1994–95 - Relegated from the premier league

1995–96 - Promoted to the premier league through play off final last minute winner (Wembley)

1996–97 - Top 10 premier league finish and League Cup win (Wembley)

1997–98 - Top 10 premier league finish and Played in the Uefa Cup

1998–99 - Top 10 premier league finish and League Cup final (Wembley)

1999–2000 - Top 10 premier league finish and League Cup win (Wembley)

2000–01 - Played in the Uefa Cup

2001–02 - Relegated from the Premier League

2002–03 - Went into administration, finished 2nd and promoted to the premier league

2003–04 - Relegated from the premier league and La Manga "rape" episode. 

2004–05 - Average

2005–06 - Average

2006–07 - Taken over by Mandaric

2007–08 - Relegated to League One

2008–09 - Promoted to the Championship as champions

2009–10 - Top 6 finish and play off semi final losers - Kermo penalty

2010–11 - Taken over by the Thais. Got rid of Pearson, got in Sousa and then sacked him and got Sven. 

2011–12 - Sacked Sven and Brought Pearson back

2012–13 - Top 6 finish and play off semi final loss with most ridiculous penno miss and Deeney goal

2013–14 - Promoted to premier league as champions

2014–15 - Greatest escape of relegation ever and sacked the manager

2015–16 - Had a racist orgy, hired Ranieri won the premier league

2016–17 - Charity Shield Champions league quarter finalists whilst also flirting with relegation and sacking Ranieri. (Wembley)

2017–18 - Hired Shakespeare as manager, then sacked him and hired Puel

2018–19 - Sacked Puel, hired Rodgers and owner died in a helicopter crash. 

2019-20 - Bottled a 700 point lead to finish outside top 4

2020-21 - Covid Party, Bottling 699 point lead, FA Cup Final. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

Its crazy that the fans that say we have a PL squad and that any manager would get is to where we are are the same fans who think that the squad isnt good enough to compete in the PL. Make your mind up

I think Enzo has done a great job given the circumstances. Yes at times it would be good to play more quicker and control games more but I think we are still transitioning into and Enzo team. A part of me still thinks Enzos not got the squad that fit his system. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Hiorns said:

Football ceased to be about entertainment long ago. Taken over by greed and avarice. Personally wouldn't sit in the freezing cold for two hours  to watch that .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lcfccon said:

not in my opinion, it’s an extremely well thought out methodical way to play football. I’d rather watch us pass it about the back than use the ball like a hot potato.

I had a disagreement with a member regarding our style of play being boring, he then went on to say that great Pep Barcelona team was the most boring team ever to watch due to their style of play, despite the fact they were the highest scoring team by a long way and often had to break down teams who came and parked the bus. Which is similar to us, I guess some people just cannot understand what he’s trying to do here. 

• Like 1

I think after the Ipswich game(s) where we took the lead, but couldn't add to it, and ultimately dropped points, there was probably a nervousness more than anything that history was going to repeat.

There are times where I think the wing-backs have the ball and could attack down the wing, but choose to stop, and knock it back, even when there's no direct challenge. I don't get that.

I do still appreciate what the manager has achieved though. I guess I just think we could even do more, which is frightening really, (for the opposition).

Edited by Twitcher

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Most other teams will never even experience the sort of season we're having right now... where would it rank right now for us in the last 10 years?

Third?

Maybe second, if you prefer this to last time we were in the Championship.

Maybe fourth, if you rate the Dunkirk-style achievement of the great escape more highly. All personal choices.

To be honest, it's better not to bother trying to rank things*, but to enjoy the good ones whenever they come.

*but obvs 2015-16 is the best season...

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not sure about the thickest, we've certainly had more success and drama than a club our size could ever really expect. Most other teams will never even experience the sort of season we're having right now... where would it rank right now for us in the last 10 years? It's going to have an impact when you've experienced so much. 

Piss off then if they don't like it.

23 minutes ago, David Hiorns said:

I think oz is joking 

Is it remotely possible to appreciate that Enzo is doing a good job, and to believe that we have the best team in the division (by a country mile)...

But still understand that there is a Huge gulf in quality between the Championship & the Premier League.

Would it be too ludicrous to feel as though something that's working well in one division,  might not work so well in another?

Surely it's acceptable to appreciate Enzo but also critically analyse and understand the challenges we may face in the not too distant future.

Ignoring all negativity is short sighted so it's unfortunate that anyone who raises any form of question / concern is silenced so quickly.

• Like 3