Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

He’s not going to be here very long is he? It’s already somehow “toxic” and we’re top of the league winning every week. Imagine when we go 5 games without a win next season. 

When you’re hearing sarcastic cheers after a pass forwards during a season like this you know we’re doomed. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why this has all come about now. I think we created far more yesterday than we have done in alot of other games and I've definitely seen duller games this season. 

While I do get why Enzo is frustrated, I'm not sure this is the best way to get people on board. I think it's a bit concerning that he's chosen to come out in such strong terms considering the position we're in and maybe reveals a wider frustration of other things going on at the club. Either way, I don't think he has enough credit in the bank at this point to be calling out fans, whether he has a good point or not

• Like 1

I do also think there's an issue with Pep Guardiola's philosophy wrongly correlated with entertaining football. Yes it dominates possession but that doesn't always mean purposeful and entertaining football either.

How many times under Ranieri, in I'd say our most entertaining season ever, did we get stats thrown at us about possession? It was always done in a belittling way by pundits to somehow emphasise negativity. That's just the mindset now of clubs. 

There is an obvious ideology at the top of the club to play "attractive" football. Puel, Rodgers and now Enzo all have a possession orientated style of play. As a club we quite clearly wanted to move away from being seen as a counter attacking side. I just don't think in the current era that clubs see any other style as the brand they want. 

• Thanks 1

People on here saying others are calling out Enzo for his football. That's not how I see it, I see people that go to the football to be entertained, and the style of football we are watching, is boring to watch. It's great we are winning and I get that the style is getting the wins we want. Although I'd never shout to get it forward or verbalise this thought, this style of football has taken some of the enjoyment out of watching our games. 

I'm sure there will be some of you that say then stop going, but however boring they are still my Leicester City. I want us to win, but to want some entertainment or excitement is normal. 

Would I like to see this style of football all the time and win with masses of possession all the time with no real moments of football magic, no. I still want my last minute equalisers and getting points and wins from that we really shouldn't have because we have been under the cosh the whole time. 

Basically I want the stadium to be rocking, the fans right behind the team. I'm pretty sure each and every one of us has that same want. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I would not be surprised if Enzo is no longer our manager in the next few weeks. 

As I mused in an earlier post; I do wonder if he's developing an exit strategy?

That said: I think he'll see out this season. He is unproven at Premier League level, so cannot imagine him getting an offer from there and cannot see him leaving for another championship club.

That leaves abroad I guess, but I believe he would like to have a convincing title winning championship on his CV first - despite what he has said in the press.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I would not be surprised if Enzo is no longer our manager in the next few weeks. 

Even if its all fallen apart at board level because of transfers, and even if he hates every fan in the stadium apart from those in the singing section, you would think logically he sees the season out and get promotion on his CV. 

• Like 1

Makes me smile when people go ahhhhh he can feck off, throwing his teddies out the pram etc, I don’t think that is the case, if I was him I would be frustrated if I was him as well. If we were struggling on the edge of the play offs I would get the criticism, but we have lost 4 league games all season and we are scoring lots of goals and lead the division by a minimum of 7 points dependent on the results of the game in hand for the chasing pack. Oh and on top of that he has blooded a shit load of academy lads into the 1st team as well. 

I would ask where the dissenters think we should be in terms of league position, points and goals and what different style we should be adopting that would bring even better results, because it sure ain’t counter attack or hoof ball as we would concede a hell of a lot more goals as we would have less possession. 

What is weird in this whole situation is that the minority who are rattled by the odd disappointing result and conceding two late goals to 2nd/3rd place Ipswich seem to think they know more than a man who has played and coached the game at the very top and alongside some of the modern day greats. 

Yeah let’s bin off Enzo, who has completely overhauled what was a losing mentality and instilled a playing style that is getting positive results, but instead listen to a load of Andy’s from Long Eaton who played for the Dog and Duck for two years and think the only way to win a game of footy is to play wiv pashun and fecking hooooooooof it. 

When Enzo does leave let’s just give it Walshy and Lennon they will get us playing the Leicester way. We are million miles away from the club we were when Levein et al were in charge but fecking hell some of our fans seem to still have the same footballing ideal of seeing 11 Ian Humes out there running round a lot or that we won the league just wellying it up to Vardy and Mahrez to work their magic 🫣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Put it this way, the least Enzo deserves from the CLUB is the signing he sorted and organized, the least he deserves. If the keystone kops have ballsed it up, I think he may well walk.

This whole debate about "entertaining" football is an interesting one...

Whilst I am firmly in the camp of winning football being a key component of entertainment (let's be honest losing week after week, even if in a blaze of goalfests, is no fun for anyone), I can understand to some extent those who place a much higher value on the style of football being "exciting".

However, I'm personally not quite sure what isn't brilliant and exciting about what Enzo and the team are doing at this time. I think a root cause is probably still apathy at being relegated and playing at the level we are but what we are doing is not normal. Just because we seem to be doing it in such an easy way doesn't mean that this would have happened with other styles and other managers - there are numerous examples of where it can all go drastically wrong.

What are the detractors looking for?

It's clearly not winning matches as on that we are well clear of the rest and still on course for a league record.

If it's scoring goals, we are also clear on that front... 59 scored at just over 2 goals a game and scoring 3 or more goals in 10 out of 29 matches.

If it's having exciting players who can come up with moments of skill and brilliance we have plenty of those too - Mavididi and Fatawu are as exciting and explosive as it gets at this level with the ball at their feet. Ricardo is a class above. KDH is piling in with goals and assists, we are scoring all sorts of goals, Winks can take the ball in midfield at speed and shrug off pressing opposition to find a man.

And despite what people say there are plenty of times where we play diagonals, longer forward balls, break the lines with quick passing play, score fantastic counter attacking goals. Some of the goals we have scored as a team have been of the highest quality. It is and can be explosive, it's just not like that all the time (which is an unrealistic expectation in any case). Even taking last night's example we weren't wedded to short, "boring", slow football. We created a number of chances from more direct passages of play. However, these direct openings are usually as a consequence of the build up play before or the time in the game we have spent dragging the opposition out of position. In fact, the example of Ipswich where we let in a late goal - we lost control of the second half because we played more aimless balls forwards. We didn't trust ourselves to beat the press in that second half and play the way we were supposed to.

Throughout this season we have dictated the tempo. We slow it down to suit us and speed it up when we have an opening to exploit. Granted, we don't get it right all the time and passes go astray, balls are mis-controlled and wrong decisions are made. But we are in the bloody Championship and still in the early part of the transformation of how this team plays, it's going to happen. There is still so much more to learn for the players in this system as well. The aim of the style isn't just to pass it backwards, it's a means to an end. The problem we have is at times the quality or confidence of the players to execute and make the best / right decision isn't there. Again, that's understandable with the team we have, the level at which we are playing our football and the time Enzo has had to really transform how we play.

I also believe that some of the sloppiness on show at times is a direct result of how easily it seems we have got to the position we are in. It would be hard as a player not to let the complacency sneak in, even if subconsciously. And let's be honest if we didn't concede from set pieces or gift a goal to the opposition once or twice then we wouldn't concede any goals! Yes, we can't afford to perform in the same way if / when we get promoted to the PL but at the same time that is a completely different scenario and pointless even thinking about now. The whole situation will have a very different look to it. We will (hopefully) have brought in more PL quality players who can execute the system at a higher level and the whole team will have had more time playing this way as well. 

This is an exciting, developing team with some skilled and exciting individuals who can only be added to once we hopefully get promoted. We are smashing teams up, grinding out wins when we need to like Champions and coming up with some fantastic individual and team goals. What's not to like? The negativity towards this season really does baffle me on the whole...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Even if its all fallen apart at board level because of transfers, and even if he hates every fan in the stadium apart from those in the singing section, you would think logically he sees the season out and get promotion on his CV. 

I don't think he needs promotion on his CV like it's an undergrad degree or something. He's proved what he can do and shown what his style of play is, I don't think logically seeing through the promotion really adds to his reputation at this point.

Not that I believe he'll leave that soon.