Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

At the moment, Enzo is doing a great job. He's got the team playing in this style, and we're winning games so I just think. We've got to keep playing this way for the rest of the season til we go up. It's not always entertaining, but it's effective. Look at the results.  The next question is will it be effective in the PL? Doubtful. I personally think it's too risky, the only reason we get away with it now is due to the quality of the opposition. But right now I don't care. Let's just enjoy the here and now.

2 hours ago, MPH said:

I do see what you are saying, but I disagree with you. I think it’s a bigger amount of people thank you think.

I see what you’re saying and as I said, I am perfectly willing to accept that my perception on the extent of these people could be off…

I still think as a football manager, you are never going to have everyone on side.

That said, as in any line of work, if someone really feels unsupported or unappreciated in their work, I would never expect them to stay so I can see it both ways.

I think as someone who does like him, and ‘gets’ it but also appreciates there are areas to improve on, it has got my back up that these kind of comments could be directed towards those who share my line of thinking which is a lot of people!

Love Enzo. Unfortunately some of the stench associated with last season doesn't seem to want to go away - i.e. no transfer budget and rumors of one of his top players getting sold this window. He's done everything asked of - and hopefully we get to find out whether his style will work in the Premier League. Sounds like he doesn't think so unless he gets some new players - which aren't coming in this window.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

The age old debate of what matters more - Winning or playing "exciting football"? 

I don't think he's really arsed, and why should he be? His/the teams record under his tenure stands up for itself. He makes it very clear, this is the way, he will not be swayed from that and the second the club/it's fans are at odds with that, he'll walk. We'll replace him with some s***e and yo-yo like the LCFC of old. Some would rather that than let this manager build something that could sustain us as a PL club for our future again. 

And the likelihood is that if Enzo does decide to leave, certainly if it happens before a return to the Prem, he leaves with his stock very high and gets another job rather easily, probably at a club who can afford 2 bags of crisps and a can of coke for a new midfielder!

The loser here, IMO, is undoubtedly the club. Yes we have good players, some too good for this division, but to suggest that any manager could come here and do what he's done (which some on here do) is ridiculous. Get behind the team, (hopefully) Enzo gets a window where he can bring in some more of his own personnel and let's see where it takes us.

The remit was promotion, that's going well, I'm really not sure what we've got to moan about?

Erudite.

And it comes back to an argument that extends elsewhere too - aesthetics vs functionality. And everyone has different ideas on which they prefer in what situation and why.

For me, in football, to have both is obviously the Holy Grail any team should aspire to, but the latter is more important than the former as not only is it more personally pleasing, it is easier to build the former on the latter.

I'd have less of a problem with the style of play if we were in complete control all the time. It doesn't matter how shit the opposition are we find a way of conceding shots at goal and they are usually good chances. I think that's what frustrates people the most. My other concern is we don't have the funding to improve the squad to make this work at a higher level (hopefully)

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. 

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

The problem is that many fans want 100mph football (even if that means the opponent having the ball more and creating more chances), yet negate to appreciate the effect that playing in that way can have upon a squad (not least in terms of fitness and injuries). 

The Championship is a long old slog, and whilst we are controlling games we are also managing the season better. 

Most would probably see the way that Leeds or Ipswich play (at home) as more exciting, but both are significantly off the pace that we have set and there's a reason for that - despite the advantage in resources over Ipswich. 

We are still the top scorers in the league (by six goals) with the best defence. 

The success and the way in which we achieved it has really blinded a significant part of our fanbase.

Ipswich sit 14th in the 6 game form table, have 1 win in the last 7 championship games and just got humiliated by Maidstone on live TV. 100mph football catches up with you eventually, and even Newcastle have found this out to some degree.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

but often its boring to watch

I do agree with this tbf, we play like we did yesterday and we lose 4-0 to a team like Villa next year - we won 3-1 but make no mistake we didn’t play well, Swansea were just even worse than us 

Edited by JonnyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could just be a veiled misdirect to the club hierarchy to do with transfers:unsure: make comments of leaving coming towards the end of the transfer window with our best player linked elsewhere but couch it in terms of the atmosphere at the ground, which has been the same all season.

They will not want to piss him off, he gets to keep his players.

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

I'd have less of a problem with the style of play if we were in complete control all the time. It doesn't matter how shit the opposition are we find a way of conceding shots at goal and they are usually good chances. I think that's what frustrates people the most. My other concern is we don't have the funding to improve the squad to make this work at a higher level (hopefully)

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. 

But you cant be in complete control all the time. It's a totally unrealistic expectation.  Teams are always going to have their moments, you cant stop that. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I’ve been fed up for years and was planning to sack it off whether we stayed up or went down. The decision was made before he became manager and I didn’t renew in the summer, but the games I have been to or seen, have left me feeling pretty much the same.

That’s not all down to the football, I’m at a different point in life with a young family and a business to run. I’ve seen us win it all, so the appetite isn’t what it was. 

I’d need something that gets the blood pumping in terms of style to whet my appetite again I think. It’s no longer just about winning or supporting at any cost, I find that entertainment is now a massive factor, when in the past I just saw that as a bonus. 

Enzo has done a grand job and you won’t find me having a go at him about anything. Football in general, is just not for me at the moment. 

I’ll chat about it here or there, but I don’t really post much on here either any more. 

More than fair enough 👍

1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

Could just be a veiled misdirect to the club hierarchy to do with transfers:unsure: make comments of leaving coming towards the end of the transfer window with our best player linked elsewhere but couch it in terms of the atmosphere at the ground, which has been the same all season.

They will not want to piss him off, he gets to keep his players.

Not quite that. But certainly starting to pave the way to his exit. If things go bad with the board, he just has this as an extra reason to step away. Or even worse… a come and get me to people higher in the pecking order Not good at all 

The problem is that a lot of our fanbase is Old Bob on Twitter. They're not there for the tactical battles, but for us to go 'get into em and **** em up.' Lukp it up, crosses in and balls in the box. So they can say, 'we're having a go.'

They don't realise that that kind of football is dead for a reason. It doesn't work. You end up playing yourself into trouble more often than not, and it's far far worse to watch when it doesn't work. Remember watching Gary Megson's team lose 0-1 at home to Sheffield United? Care to repeat it? I'd rather guide my dad into my mum.

Football isn't exciting and joyous for any team every week for 90 minutes. Man City winding down a game at home to Forest when 4-0 up isn't exciting to watch. But it gets the job done, keeps the clean sheet and gets the three points. Do that 30 times a season and you win the league.

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

We have a significant proportion of arm folding, small minded, 'this is MY club' merchants, who don't let inconvenient evidence disturb their considerable biases. 

And this is somewhat reflective of society 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

I do agree with this tbf, we play like we did yesterday and we lose 4-0 to a team like Villa next year - we won 3-1 but make no mistake we didn’t play well, Swansea were just even worse than us 

Not just you but lots of people underestimate the fact that us playing well is what makes other teams look bad. Just because we aren't scoring 7 goals a game does not mean we aren't playing well. We absolutely controlled the game against Swansea and comfortably won. This wasn't just because they weren't good it's because we were and that means that they don't get chances to look good. 

Yes against the best prem team like man City and Liverpool playing like this we may get picked apart that will happen but against most teams I think k you will be surprised at how well we will do and I think k the moment to probe this will be against Bournemouth in the cup next month

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Suppose you could also pick from most of the other 38 rotting games that got us relegated.

Yes, that was my point, OP picked out one game to compare to last night??

23 minutes ago, Craig said:

The problem is that many fans want 100mph football (even if that means the opponent having the ball more and creating more chances), yet negate to appreciate the effect that playing in that way can have upon a squad (not least in terms of fitness and injuries). 

The Championship is a long old slog, and whilst we are controlling games we are also managing the season better. 

Most would probably see the way that Leeds or Ipswich play (at home) as more exciting, but both are significantly off the pace that we have set and there's a reason for that - despite the advantage in resources over Ipswich. 

We are still the top scorers in the league (by six goals) with the best defence. 

The success and the way in which we achieved it has really blinded a significant part of our fanbase.

Explains why Southampton are kicking on too. If ourselves and them finish in the top two then that says it all.