Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

9 hours ago, Aleksz said:

Last night became tedious and super unenjoyable for me.

Not because of what happened on the pitch. Swansea were poor, and on another day we could have been three nil up at half time if we had took chances. Probably 5 or 6-1 by the end of the game. What’s to complain about that?

But it became tedious and super unenjoyable because of the fans. Groans when passing it short… groans when a pass becomes missed placed going long.. sarcastic cheers when a move ends up going back to Mads.. Numerous people around me shouting forward over and over again. 

The worst bit is, you knew we were going to score at least 3 goals and win that game. It’s happened over and over again this year when we’ve cruised along in first gear till about the 60th minute and then the opposition tire from ball chasing for an hour and we punish them with a second and third. The moaning becomes totally futile.

There was uproar when Deeney called us entitled last week, he was spot on. We’re top of the league with a ten point lead, scored the most, conceded the least. Cantering to a promotion that we were all scared wasn’t going to happen. Yet the ground is like a morgue for all of one block of the stadium, and all the fans do is moan.

I sat there at full time and realised I hadn’t enjoyed the experience. So I’m not surprised that despite Enzo’s hard work to turn this absolute cluster**** completely around, he’s pretty pissed off too.

Superb post. Bang on :appl:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

No, it isn't @jayfox26, or @Matt, or @YearOfTheFox  that anyone has a real issue with - all make perfectly valid points in essence, none of them is remotely moronic.

It's the people who just like to moan for the sake of it, who cannot ever be pleased, who always know best - they're the issue at hand.

You’re right. I’m just a bit frustrated by the divide that has been in place for a while now.

I feel I’m quite a balanced poster. I like Enzo and what we are doing. But I can see where we can improve as the posters you’ve listed have said. But that in no ways means I’m not totally supportive. I make a point not to just make negative observations without being wrapped in positive ones.

But, I am feeling I constantly have to justify that I am onboard and support Enzo to avoid being piled on even when balanced points. And that’s what I resent. 

That inflexibility will ultimately cost him. People are allowed opinions, especially fans. I like Enzo but he can’t threaten people by saying he’ll leave. That’s just childish. Great managers are flexible, they have a main style but can vary things within that.  We need to learn to exploit the spaces we create, not always go back and allow the opposition to reorganise. The very crux of his style is to pull teams around and make space. 

We have probably the best squad in the Championship, some might say by a significant margin. We should be winning games, most games. 

His approach will be seen more clearly in the Premier League and saying he doesn’t have the players to implement his style won’t be enough. It is his job to work with what he has. 

So far he has done very well indeed. It is boring at times - deadly boring. However, we sit at the top of the league 10 points clear. We should get promoted and that is a great achievement if we manage it. 

Doesn’t give him the right, though, to say people cannot question him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

You can't expect us to the play the perfect game every game just because we are in the Championship, that's what you're expecting.

A bit more urgency how can we be urgent when most teams park the bus and every team misses chances its part of the game, pathetic. 

:facepalm: I was literally saying what is the ideal. I never said we should expect it all the time. You’re just putting words into mouths again! 

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

You’re right. I’m just a bit frustrated by the divide that has been in place for a while now.

I feel I’m quite a balanced poster. I like Enzo and what we are doing. But I can see where we can improve as the posters you’ve listed have said. But that in no ways means I’m not totally supportive. I make a point not to just make negative observations without being wrapped in positive ones.

But, I am feeling I constantly have to justify that I am onboard and support Enzo to avoid being piled on even when balanced points. And that’s what I resent. 

I know how that feels - so it is understood.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Please can you expand on this. What different approaches and when in games? Genuinely interested.

The ones which spring to mind are when we’ve been 1 up and fvcked it up second half. Ipswich twice and Sheffield Wednesday.  Lack of subs especially the Ipswich home game. We made 2 changes 10 mins to go in that game while Ipswich bought 4 or 5 on second half. I think we could of brought Coady on and played 3 cbs. Taking cannon off second half against cov was a difficult choice as down to 10 but I couldn’t understand it. No one upfront to go to. 
Got my tin hat ready. 

I remember when I first starting watching Leicester we were still at Filbert Street. The crowds were small, but passionate, enthusiastic and together. 

These days our fans range from negative at worst to apathetic at best. I still love the club, but become increasingly frustrated with the fan base. We’re playing winning football in a very modern and progressive style. 

I’d rarely criticise other fans or how they choose to support the club. That’s up to them and their support, and the way they go about it, is as valid as mine or any other supporter. 

I just know that from a personal view that I’d rather have it back how it was when I first started watching. I’d be quite happy with half the support if it was positive, passionate and vocal - and the rest can just f’k off! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

If you say so John.

Let me spell it out to you.

I like Enzo and support Enzo.

I find people who are negative about everything a bore.

I also find people like you who are attacking others for having views others than your own equally as boring.

Got it?

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Let me spell it out to you.

I like Enzo and support Enzo.

I find people who are negative about everything a bore.

I also find people like you who are attacking others for having views others than your own equally as boring.

Got it?

We agree on something then, I also find people boring for attacking others.

Edited by whoareyaaa

23 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

You’re fighting a losing battle here bud. Some will see this post that you’ve written but all that will pass through their eyes will be

HOOOFFF

But you (and him) still haven't said what you want. Play with more tempo or urgency? Why? We're smashing the league, why waste energy charging around for 90 mins when we can save legs in what is a hugely long campaign. 

So again, what other tactics should we be playing? 

Excitement in football comes from jeopardy. Holding out for a narrow win, scoring a late winner or winning a game when you don’t expect to. Sure, style of play can come into this but fundamentally the attraction of sport is that no one knows what the outcome is going to be.

When you are winning week in week out, and often by comfortable margins, that jeopardy just isn’t there but I am sure we would all prefer that to the alternative.

We are just a bit spoilt as fan base by a decade of high jeopardy (albeit not always ending in a positive way) season after season. Let’s just enjoy this season and hopefully Enzo and the team make it as stress free as possible, it’s certainly better for my health than the last 10 years have been. 

• Like 1

Everyone has their own views and opinions on our style of play etc and that's fine. We are top of the league and the results are great. Whilst moaning/ironic cheering from small sections of the stadium can be annoying, I don't think Enzo should be coming out and threatening to leave. I like Enzo and what he's done to turn us around so quickly but this seems very arrogant to threaten fans like that. I can understand he wants to create a positive atmosphere around the stadium, and as others have said, some of the negativity still stems from Rodgers and the fact that we shouldn't even be in this league. Threatening to leave doesn't help to create a positive environment. 

• Like 1

Singing / chanting should be the done thing at a game. Everyone should contribute to that atmosphere. That’s the best thing about being at the ground rather than watching on TV. 

Obviously there’s exceptions like if you’re physically unable to. 

• Like 2

There seems to be an oxymoron in that most games the ground is pretty full (until about 80 minutes), but people still continue to attend even though all they do is moan. If I found the experience of watching Leicester boring and tedious, I'd stop going. Luckily I don't - I find Enzo's methods intriguing and whilst at times our play can come across as passive, there is always that expectation that something dynamic will happen. So called fans who think a complete change of direction in the style of play will be the finished article in 6 months must live in a dream world. I sincerely hope Enzo stays, that his comments were out of frustration, he is backed by the board so that the development of the squad and style of play can continue to flourish over the coming years.

21 minutes ago, ANDLeicester said:

Excitement in football comes from jeopardy. Holding out for a narrow win, scoring a late winner or winning a game when you don’t expect to. Sure, style of play can come into this but fundamentally the attraction of sport is that no one knows what the outcome is going to be.

When you are winning week in week out, and often by comfortable margins, that jeopardy just isn’t there but I am sure we would all prefer that to the alternative.

We are just a bit spoilt as fan base by a decade of high jeopardy (albeit not always ending in a positive way) season after season. Let’s just enjoy this season and hopefully Enzo and the team make it as stress free as possible, it’s certainly better for my health than the last 10 years have been. 

Exactly. The way I feel about our two League cups is the same. 

It was much more exciting, fun, interesting to beat Boro and win than Beat Tranmere and win.

Because we were the underdog vs all-star Boro. We basically went out to nullify their best players and we did.

Tranmere was a routine win against a team nowhere near as good with a bloke who could through really, really far! It was good, but not exciting. 

Expecting to win, and winning is not exciting, it never can be. That is where we are. 

Edited by Phube

Yeah.

Coming out in the press and threatening to leave is a bit embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as the fans moaning when we’re 10 points clear at the top, but close.

I love what Enzo’s done though. I do think he has a significantly better squad than 95% of the league though, so you have to say the jury is still out a bit.

Very interested to see what he can do if we do go up. Working with a squad that is lower-half quality - That will be a proper test for him.

10 hours ago, goose2010 said:

you think Rooney or Lampard would have got us into this position? You think working with a squad that had zero confidence, no system, no style, no self belief is easy to work with? It doesnt matter how much they are earning or how good they are meant to be. 

You think that winning 26 out of 34 with a squad playing a completely new style infront of a bunch of self entitled boo boys isn't a miracle? 

I cant believe how narrow minded a lot of fans seem to be. 

Lampard is like the Danny Ward of managers, had they given him more time he could have gotten both Chelsea and Everton relegated in that same season. Not a great comparison.

37 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I remember when I first starting watching Leicester we were still at Filbert Street. The crowds were small, but passionate, enthusiastic and together. 

These days our fans range from negative at worst to apathetic at best. I still love the club, but become increasingly frustrated with the fan base. We’re playing winning football in a very modern and progressive style. 

I’d rarely criticise other fans or how they choose to support the club. That’s up to them and their support, and the way they go about it, is as valid as mine or any other supporter. 

I just know that from a personal view that I’d rather have it back how it was when I first started watching. I’d be quite happy with half the support if it was positive, passionate and vocal - and the rest can just f’k off! 

I remember going home and away under Pleat and we were absolutely dire. I'm sure there was a stretch of about a year when we never won away from home!

We were relatively small in numbers but like you say, we all felt together. Maybe it was siege mentality or maybe we were just so starved of success that we all shared the dream together.

Either way, I loved it back then when everyone stood and everyone sang in unison.

I know things have changed and it wasn't all rosy in the garden back then, but I do pine for those days again.

Just now, BillyFOX12 said:

Lampard is like the Danny Ward of managers, had they given him more time he could have gotten both Chelsea and Everton relegated in that same season. Not a great comparison.

He was a manager we were linked with / would have taken the job that's what I used him. 

If you don't enjoy the style of football right now just give your ticket to someone else who will appreciate it. There's lots of people who will go and SUPPORT their team regardless of what's going on on the pitch.

I go to the City to support the team and like to think that my presence is helping them in some way. If you want to go and watch a game tailored to your football preference support someone else.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sbfox said:

But you (and him) still haven't said what you want. Play with more tempo or urgency? Why? We're smashing the league, why waste energy charging around for 90 mins when we can save legs in what is a hugely long campaign. 

So again, what other tactics should we be playing? 

I haven’t said to ‘change’ anything. I’ve repeatedly said I am happy. I’d be concerned if we weren’t creating chances but we are. Yes I’d like us to take more of them but what clubs fans don’t? Re the tempo point, yes it depends what opponents we are up against. The two new years games (Cardiff away and Huddersfield home) I thought we beat the press excellently and were finding so much space in the opposition half and going forward with so much pace. But yeah, it’s going to vary over each 90 minutes and between games.  And as is often said, ultimately slowing our play down will see us last the course even if it is not edge of the seat for 90 minutes stuff.

My frustration is not at our play, it has honestly spilled over due to me being fed up seeing our fan base so divided when we never used to be. In my frustration, no doubt I’ve inadvertently added to that’s my bad!

55 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

People are allowed opinions, especially fans. I like Enzo but he can’t threaten people by saying he’ll leave. That’s just childish.

Doesn’t give him the right, though, to say people cannot question him. 

Firstly, he's not threatened anyone or said people cannot question him. Secondly, there appears to be some double standards at play here if he can't give an opinion on what will happen if his style of play is rejected.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 4