Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

Switch on to Man City v Burnley tonight. Apart from when City score  the stadium is silent . I will leave it to you all to draw your own comparisons and conclusions based on your own preconceived views on what football is supposed to be about

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

If you don't enjoy the style of football right now just give your ticket to someone else who will appreciate it. There's lots of people who will go and SUPPORT their team regardless of what's going on on the pitch.

I go to the City to support the team and like to think that my presence is helping them in some way. If you want to go and watch a game tailored to your football preference support someone else.

I bet a few might actually do this but fear the ban they would get from the club if caught shifting a ticket on.

2 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Yes. So it’s highly likely we’ll be in the premiership next season. 
What’s nonsensical about it? I’m pointing out imo if/when we go up we will get beaten heavily most weeks playing this way. We are getting away with it in this division because majority of sides are extremely poor with the exception of 4 or 5 sides. 

What's nonsensical is the endless whining that we'll be rubbish, that we can't play the way we're playing in the prem etc - it's all meaningless conjecture, probably from the same posters who expected us to be in a relegation battle THIS season.

It all adds fuel to this arrogant assumption of certain fans that they know better than the manager, that he is blind and naive - it's part of the same problem of fans booing and moaning because they think that we could be doing things better and more effectively than we are.  It also permeates the whole notion of entitled leicester fans - if we go up, it seems like there is already a core of fans who expect us to be pushing for europe rather than simply cementing our place in the league - sure we'll lose our fair share of games, but look at newcastle currently 7th and they've lost almost half of their games, brighton only have 8 wins out of 22 matches and actually are pushing for europe.  last season everton stayed up with just 8 wins, leeds the year before with 9.  Nothing is guaranteed,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

People are talking about the Prem league like all the teams in there are some kind of power house, we basically won the Prem with a team of Championship players under shrewd management. 

Get a grip.

ooh, controversial - i made this observation and sent some posters into meltdown! :D

• Haha 1

Why can’t you have an opinion on next season? Even if it’s negative. Should fans not be concerned if they have a different opinion from the majority? It’s just my opinion that I think this division is extremely poor and if we go up we’ll struggle playing this style of football without being flexible tactically. 

Well this is why people are questioning your opinion - firstly, because we are not tactically inflexible, and secondly because you have no idea what style of football we'll be playing next year.

We have seen this season maresca has been flexible in his tactics according to the way the opposition plays, why would he not do the same playing in the PL?

Have an opinion, sure - but be prepared to have the holes in it exposed.

I’m not saying I want him gone and replaced immediately. I think he’s done brilliantly since taking charge. I just want to see a different approach tactically during matches. 

What's that old chestnut about if 'something isn't broken'?

18 minutes ago, andyred61 said:

Switch on to Man City v Burnley tonight. Apart from when City score  the stadium is silent . I will leave it to you all to draw your own comparisons and conclusions based on your own preconceived views on what football is supposed to be about

As bad as our atmosphere is it's probably still better than quite a few Premier League atmospheres, which says it all.

In fact anyone who went Hillsborough this season will know Sheffield Wednesday didn't sing at all until their last minute goal. Was absolutely dead. It isn't just the newer grounds. 

I have Forest mates (well acquaintances) who are saying how much the Premier League has killed their atmosphere. Despite some of the plaudits they get for singing their shite song at the start. 

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Why is everyone assuming that the doubt comment relates to certain fans. I assumed it relates to the club.  If they dont buy into it anymore, then he will be gone. There is nothing to suggest that is the case. 

Why should we lose Enzo because certain fans don’t understand what they are watching? Sad thing is that these fans would openly welcome it, but hopefully smarter heads prevail elsewhere. 

because it was the fans audibly moaning and groaning.  There's been nothing to suggest the club are unhappy about the way he plays - why would they be, it's exactly what they hoped for - straight back up - i can't honestly imagine the board care if the fans are entertained or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I'm not saying I'm not happy with our league position and results but can anyone genuinely say that most of our games are exciting? Of course, we just want to get out of this league ASAP and it's the results that matter. But there is no way we can all say that the football we play is exciting or entertaining. It can be at times when we click, pass the ball quickly and with purpose and cut teams open. We are capable of doing this but we don't do it often enough and in many games we seem laboured. It's always a worry when we are winning 1-0 and we drop off and allow the opposition back into games as we have a terrible habit of conceding sloppy late goals. Some of these have cost us, some haven't 

I can't imagine what you deem exciting - for me it's goals and creating chances - we have the most goals and the highest xG, so there's plenty of excitement and we do it more often than almost anyone else.  Not only that we've scored some fantastic goals this season, it's not like we're cardiff who have only scored 14 of their 35 goals from open play

43 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Firstly, he's not threatened anyone or said people cannot question him. Secondly, there appears to be some double standards at play here if he can't give an opinion on what will happen if his style of play is rejected.

How is that a double standard?  He said if people don’t accept how he wants the team to play he will leave immediately - tomorrow. That’s a direct threat. 

No one here is saying if you don’t change how you’re setting the team up to play you should quit.  Mostly it’s a desire to see us be more progressive within the style he’s trying to create. In addition try and mix it up occasionally. 

Who was he referring to when he said what he said?  The fans it appears to me and that appears to be a ‘do not question me’ stance. Childish, like I said. 

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

To reiterate, I am supportive of Enzo and not a doubter (bit of a joke I feel the need to start posts with this to avoid getting piled on though)!

But I see this term aimed a lot at those who aren’t happy. Surely being entitled is expecting to win each week. Given we are winning a lot, surely that shows that whatever their reasons are for not being happy, it’s not down to this so I think this entitlement thing is just a lazy work thrown round but it’s not that.

Whether it’s lack of understanding, lack of attention span or just different preferences, I don’t know. But I don’t think you can say it’s entitled.

No, entitlement is about having your cake and eating it.  Every fan expects or at least hopes to win every week.  The problem we have here is that we are winning most weeks and they're still not happy because we aren't winning the way they'd like us to win ; they're assuming that because we're leicester we should be winning by multiple goals, that we shouldn't concede goals.

I’ll take points over performance everyday of the week. Sad thing is we have been blessed with some outstanding performances. We are on for a potential record breaking season and yet a small section of our fanbase are wasting oxygen on questioning Enzo’s style of play. Check some of @StriderHiryu gifs on some of our goals … they have been a thing of beauty. 

Edited by casablancas
High as a kite so spelling
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Firstly, he's not threatened anyone or said people cannot question him. Secondly, there appears to be some double standards at play here if he can't give an opinion on what will happen if his style of play is rejected.

He has though or didn’t you understand what he said?

• Like 1

End of the day Enzo is having us play how he wants in order to get out of this division.  And no one can argue it isn't working.

Yes it is pretty dull to watch but is that because we are actually dull or for the most part just going through the motions because we know we will win. 

Football is exciting for fans to watch when games are historically closer fought contests.  Bar a small handful of games this season, we've simply not had that.  This means that games are ultimately a precession, just waiting until we score.

We are going up, there is no denying that, and that will afford Enzo money to fit another couple of players into his style of football that we can't afford now.  

Let's wait and see what next season brings.   I don't think Enzo is a one trick pony, he will have a plan.

51 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I remember going home and away under Pleat and we were absolutely dire. I'm sure there was a stretch of about a year when we never won away from home!

We were relatively small in numbers but like you say, we all felt together. Maybe it was siege mentality or maybe we were just so starved of success that we all shared the dream together.

Either way, I loved it back then when everyone stood and everyone sang in unison.

I know things have changed and it wasn't all rosy in the garden back then, but I do pine for those days again.

I think the togetherness was born out of a siege mentality. We were shite most of the time, but we knew it. 

I wouldn’t swap the success we’ve had since and the memories it’s created. Even if the price of that is our prawn sandwich support. I just wish we could have both. 

These days we just moan about everything. We can’t sing a song without debating its merits. We sit in silence in the stadium. We can’t support winning football if it’s not the right “style” and we can’t even protest collectively when the performances are unacceptable (remember Pleat again?). Shame! 

• Like 1

There's quite a few comments suggesting we took our foot off the gas and allowed Swansea back in due to a less than appealing tactical style. I think that's very disrespectful to Swansea. They got back into the game due to some tactical changes and just engaging more after the early goal, meaning we had to counter differently. The result was a bit of stalemate as we tried to search out a way through their setup.

It perhaps didn't help Praet is as rusty as he is. Possession football requires confidence and fitness. He is short on both. It's a really key position in Enzo's setup and if the player isn't fully firing the rest of the team feels it. It's why Daka can get away with a mixed performance but someone like Winks or Dewsbury Hall just can't.

There's a lot to be said about our fanbase in general. We aren't known for being a cultured or passionate lot so the current style really brings to the fore all the worst traits. The away support is fab and always has been of course but it's biased by nature. Home support has always been passive, perhaps more reflective of your average Leicesterian's persona of being quite self deprecating and  so down to earth we're practically dead. A quick look on Facebook and the mercury and someone would think every person who lives in Leicester despises the city. Perhaps with recent success that attitude of self-hate has taken over the terraces 😬

• Like 2

I get why some fans aren't over enamoured by the style of play but maybe they could look for positives. In my opinion there's a lot to like. E.g.  Harry Winks showing his class week in week out, Vesty egging forwards closer and closer then popping it off, Mavidi and Fatawu beating players, Ricci P getting closer to pre- injury levels, Cannon - a prospect, a team of players seemingly enjoying playing together, KDH giving everything for his club, no VAR etc. Things are looking up. Maybe January makes some of us a bit miserable.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

How is that a double standard?  He said if people don’t accept how he wants the team to play he will leave immediately - tomorrow. That’s a direct threat. 

No one here is saying if you don’t change how you’re setting the team up to play you should quit.  Mostly it’s a desire to see us be more progressive within the style he’s trying to create. In addition try and mix it up occasionally. 

Who was he referring to when he said what he said?  The fans it appears to me and that appears to be a ‘do not question me’ stance. Childish, like I said. 

Not sure who he was referring to really. Could be fans. Could be board. Could be players. He's on a mission. Has a very clear strategy and wants support to reach his (and our) goal of promotion.

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

I said the quality of the football for long periods of games isn't good enough. Not the quality of the football in general. When we are good and it clicks, we can be a joy to watch and can destroy teams. We started yesterday like this for 15 minutes and then from minute 15 to minute 40 it was awful and we allowed them back into the game. I'm not expecting us to play amazing, flowing football for 90 minutes every game, but why do we just drop tempo for such long periods? We had Swansea on the ropes and then we just dropped off and allowed them back in. They are an absolutely appalling team and the 3-1 result in the end was fine but things could be so different if we continue to drop tempo so drastically when we are 1-0 up. 

but this is exactly the problem - why isn't it good enough?  Or do you mean, pretty enough or sexy enough; and for that matter what is enough - our goal difference is higher than the total goals scored by 10 teams in the league; last season in the entire championship only 5 teams scored more goals than we've scored so far - surely that suggests that from a quality point of view, we are not just 'good enough' we are exceptional. 

You say that you're not expecting of 90 minutes of free flowing football, then complain that there wasn't enough quality - how can you happily expect one thing and be dissatisfied when that outcome occurs?  Can't you just be grateful that when it mattered we played some great football, and when we weren't setting the game on fire we were doing what we needed to do to prevent the opposition from scoring - isn't that the natural way of any football game?

- your statement is everything that is wrong about the perception of what maresca has achieved.

• Like 3