Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Nobody would actually enjoy losing 4-3 every week. It would be shite.

What people want is very high scoring wins, every single week, where there's no game management and the team just throws everything forward at every opportunity. It's not a smart way to get out of this division, and only the very best teams in the world can actually do that.

Nonsense! We should be winning every game 4 nil, with about 10 post hits, 5 "oooooooooo's" and 2 or 3  "ffs, you should have passed it to the wide open man you greedy barstard".

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I don’t think anyone wants that. Even the best teams in the world don’t do that. It’s perfectly reasonable to find our approach a bit boring, often it is. The main crux of the issue is that the style Enzo is playing is meant to pull teams apart. We do that and then go backwards again, allowing them to regroup. 

I think the naysayers just want us to be more positive in those situations. We turned it up a notch against Swansea and scored 2 second half - then went straight back into our shell.  That handed some initiative back to them. There was no need. We do it too often and don’t kill games we should. 

Possibly, and Enzo himself identified that drop in intensity. It did feel like they were there to be finished off. We maybe do lack a ruthlessness, though we are still in the infancy on this system's implementation.

We've been so good at beating the low block that there doesn't seem to be major issues in letting teams regroup. I did, pre season, think this would be our downfall at times, as it was for us even when we were challenging for Champs League, but we have the tools to not worry about it this year. It's working so well that it would be crazy to change things. 

31 minutes ago, filbertuk said:

Apologies if already been suggested - I haven't yet read the full thread....how about a Tifo for the Boro game (Union FS) to show our love for Enzo...

A TIFO is already planned for that game. Even if not, it would not be easy to turn something around so quickly. Needs design going to club for approval, materials ordering, volunteers of the group to make it (paint, roll foils etc.) and then planning the setup pre-match.

However, there are possibly other ways that are quicker and easier to back Enzo at the next match and show at least some appreciation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Riot Van said:

Dinosaur take.

...you missed out middle aged white privileged tory voting male :dunno:

Just to be clear i'm not knocking the style i'm suggesting he needs to grow a thicker skin if he wants to make it in football management, if he were to actually cut & run everytime someone/group showed a little displeasure at something he does he will not last very long, what's dinosauric about that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

I've not got all the way through this thread, but when people talk about unrealistic expectations and a sense of entitlement, this is it.

This is complaining that doing only the same as the top level teams in world is not good enough - we need to be creating a style of play that is better than them and a style that means weaker players will beat better players! And one that is flamboyant while we're at it!

This sort of thing happens so rarely - it happened with the Hungarian teams exposing England in the 1950s, the likes of the Graham Taylor the long ball revolution upsetting the elite, the tiki-taka of Barcelona and Spain, and dare I say it, on a more temporary basis, our counter-attacking 15/16 team that was such an antidote to possession football.

It might be that as a club in the last 10 years, we have watched with our own eyes our club upsetting the elite that we think we have a right to expect it to happen again.

But come on - we are a club with a (virtually) rookie manager in the second tier - we're on historic pace, and as fans, we should back him and what he is doing without audibly complaining about players following his instructions, or expecting him to go down as one of the most innovative coaches in history.

I think you missed my point which was that we are building a style of play that relies on having better players than the opposition.  Right now we can play that way but going forward we'll have to adapt. We're not doing the same thing as the top teams in the world - we're just trying to and we are not as good at it as they are.  Far from being entitled, I have no illusions of us challenging at the top again regardless of methodology/ideology in our play. I'm merely stating that I think our current perceptions of how well things are going and how good this system is are skewed by the quality of opposition we face.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying being down in the Championship.  I love the fact there's no VAR, seeing some different teams for a change and being the big fish in the small pond.  I'm just not particularly enthused by the football right now.  I can see it's effective, I understand how and why it works, it just doesn't excite me.  But that's just me.

I back Enzo and the team 100% and when I'm in the ground I sing shout and chant more than the average fan (which isn't much I know :)).  I support the team at the ground then moan on here.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

People have them. They’re often at odds with yours, mine. There are multiple drivers of said opinion. Often very difficult to understand. 

In this case not so much. 

As a team we are doing tremendously well. Watching it can be a bit flat and boring sometimes though. We often recycle when there are clear opportunities to be more progressive. We take our foot off the gas - Enzo said that himself.  We become less fluid and attack

minded at times when it is unwise or unnecessary. People see this and it frustrates them. It’s quite simple. It is also perfectly reasonable for people to have differing opinions. Doesn’t break the matrix. Enzo isn’t suddenly a knob because some fans question these aspects. He is doing very well with a very good team and squad at this level. It’s like some people think we can’t improve. 

Bit of a cop out, but ok. Each to their own, and I don’t know why you have brought this down to either hate Enzo or worship him, it’s always somewhere in between.

I just do not believe the style people believe they are entitled to is realistic whilst maintaining this pace in the table.

2 hours ago, Durnerz said:

A key difference for me having played just bog standard park football in France and Argentina is that their style is a “rest in possession” style. 
Meaning that you don’t have to go full throttle and direct all game as we would traditionally. Move the ball around, make the opposition work and slow the game down
This is what I see from Maresca and with a season as long as the one we have with as many games I think he’s doing the right thing. 
Some supporters have been spoiled in recent years and some obviously feel aggrieved at having to watch a rebuild in a division lower than they’re used to but that exactly what it is.

Isn't this the root cause of it all?   And a lot of the dissatisfaction with modern football .... not just Enzo, or the previous incumbent.    

Slowing the game down might be more effective, but it generally makes it less exciting.    Interesting, maybe, in a chess-like tactical appreciation.   But just not exciting.

it's **** all to do with being old, your skin colour, or how you vote.

• Like 2

Many have said it before, and I will say it again 

It has never, and will never be boring supporting our club 

We are literally all or nothing 

@Ric Flair said it best on the BSLB podcast, we are box office 

All this Enzo talk just adds more icing to the ever growing LCFC cake 

One of our best seasons in many a year and some still aren't happy 

Mindboggling 

• Thanks 1

lol

Doesn't matter whether it's political or football, if you're staunchly on one side and think you're right. Wild exaggerations are made about other people's opinions if they happen to differ in any way.

It's starting to get like twitter, massive echo chamber of people patting themselves on the back for sharing an opinion whilst shouting down at those that disagree.

Gawd bless Strider and a few others who manage to favour one side of the idea and argue their side well, without having to talk down to people and put words in their mouths becuase they happen to see things differently.

[sarcasm] Also. If you love this boring terrible style of football your a hipster nerd that hates seeing teams try to score :ph34r:  [/sarcasm]

Look we all know 95% of Leicester fans will just be happy if we have 2-3 players in the side who run around like headless chickens on speed and “gettin’ in to ‘em” to “F ‘em up”. À la Hume, Dickov, Savage, Hamza etc.

This has alway elicited the most vociferous reaction from the Filbert Street/Way faithful than literally anything else.

And playing this way usually negates the need for us to be so aggressive. 

31 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Bit of a cop out, but ok. Each to their own, and I don’t know why you have brought this down to either hate Enzo or worship him, it’s always somewhere in between.

I just do not believe the style people believe they are entitled to is realistic whilst maintaining this pace in the table.

Cop out and then you say hate?  Come on mate you’re better than that. Nowhere did I say hate or even suggest it. That’s schoolboy wokey BS. 

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Cop out and then you say hate?  Come on mate you’re better than that. Nowhere did I say hate or even suggest it. That’s schoolboy wokey BS. 

You said “does not make Enzo a knob” so we were in the good/bad delineation ballpark.

The point remains, no-one wants to explain how we should be playing, just seems like moaning without justification, would concur that  there are moments of frustration, but they are the playing the percentage moments.

Don’t feel this discussion needs or has an agreement in its future and that is fine. If we all agreed this place would be like a library.

Please don’t woke me, I don’t speak the lingo.  lol (Would agree that hate was overly strong, but it was intended to be portray the division of opinion)

• Like 1

On 31/01/2024 at 09:42, davieG said:

Here’s what supporters have said on X, formerly Twitter:

Ashley Parker: Enzo has done remarkable since being here taking the club from the lows of relegation to being top of the champ with a new style. Yes, it can be boring at times,but we are winning games and on course for record points tally so I can see why Enzo is getting frustrated!

Andrew Joshi: Be careful what you wish for boys and girls

Remember what you felt like last season? losing games and the toxic atmosphere. Don’t fall into the trap of wanting your cake and eating it.

Just support the team & Enjoy the ride! WE ARE TOP!

Sam Merton: Enzo has done such a good job that large sections of the home support believe a 76% win ratio is normal. It’s not.

Stuart B: Am I really seeing people complaining about the way we're playing under Enzo? Yes, we pass it around the back, but then attack with purpose and crucially WIN GAMES. Would you prefer us to play like Leeds and make Play Offs!

Katy: Enzo’s going to go if another club comes in for him, isn’t he? I wouldn’t blame him either, we’re top of the league and he’s fighting a losing battle with the ‘fans’ every week. As a fan base, winning the prem ruined us. Entitled & dissatisfied with everything

who wants to watch that type of football if your top of the league or not i like that yungan wat ever is name is he seems to know were there goals are makes me wonder wat training is like il pass it to you and you pass it back

On 31/01/2024 at 10:03, Shit_arse said:

You don't need confidence in these players at Prem level - were not at that level. 

Again a deluded response. 

Lets get promoted first and allow Enzo to have a proper go next year. 

How do you know Brighton would score 5 against us! They got hammered by Luton last night! 

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

People have them. They’re often at odds with yours, mine. There are multiple drivers of said opinion. Often very difficult to understand. 

In this case not so much. 

As a team we are doing tremendously well. Watching it can be a bit flat and boring sometimes though. We often recycle when there are clear opportunities to be more progressive. We take our foot off the gas - Enzo said that himself.  We become less fluid and attack

minded at times when it is unwise or unnecessary. People see this and it frustrates them. It’s quite simple. It is also perfectly reasonable for people to have differing opinions. Doesn’t break the matrix. Enzo isn’t suddenly a knob because some fans question these aspects. He is doing very well with a very good team and squad at this level. It’s like some people think we can’t improve. 

Spot on.