Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

9 minutes ago, biggs said:

Man City possess the ball in the opposition half. We play around with it in our own half and give up plenty of chances to weaker opposition. There's a big difference in their possession game and ours

For long periods of time we have possess the ball in the opposition's half, and Man City do also possess in their own half and play out via the keeper. They are obviously much better at this than us :)  

6 hours ago, Death by Football said:

I think you missed my point which was that we are building a style of play that relies on having better players than the opposition.  Right now we can play that way but going forward we'll have to adapt. We're not doing the same thing as the top teams in the world - we're just trying to and we are not as good at it as they are.  Far from being entitled, I have no illusions of us challenging at the top again regardless of methodology/ideology in our play. I'm merely stating that I think our current perceptions of how well things are going and how good this system is are skewed by the quality of opposition we face.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying being down in the Championship.  I love the fact there's no VAR, seeing some different teams for a change and being the big fish in the small pond.  I'm just not particularly enthused by the football right now.  I can see it's effective, I understand how and why it works, it just doesn't excite me.  But that's just me.

I back Enzo and the team 100% and when I'm in the ground I sing shout and chant more than the average fan (which isn't much I know :)).  I support the team at the ground then moan on here.

I disagree - we are building the foundation of how to play. It will grow from there. Pep has talked about his next evolution being working out cleverer ways to attack. Similar to chess - every grandmaster uses the same set of openings, but its in the middle game they look to make the difference. This style of play is not one size fits all.

But the fact is we are not only having one of our best seasons ever - we are having one of the greatest English league seasons ever. And not being enthused by it, blaming it on the opposition, and worrying about it not being good enough for the future is a really sad way to view it. :(

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

For long periods of time we have possess the ball in the opposition's half, and Man City do also possess in their own half and play out via the keeper. They are obviously much better at this than us :)  

Stats show we possess the ball in the final 1/3 and Penalty area (kinda where it counts) around 21%. Just saying we don't play like Man C

34 minutes ago, biggs said:

Man City possess the ball in the opposition half. We play around with it in our own half and give up plenty of chances to weaker opposition. There's a big difference in their possession game and ours

Man City use Ederson like we use Mads similar style none the less.

8 minutes ago, biggs said:

Stats show we possess the ball in the final 1/3 and Penalty area (kinda where it counts) around 21%. Just saying we don't play like Man C

Man City like to keep possession of the ball and move teams around similar to how we play 

Edited by whoareyaaa

The big difference in this year's playing around at the back is that we are conceding far fewer goals than last year.

Of course part of this is a lower standard of opposition, but that isn't the entirety. Many of the teams that we are stifling have been freely scoring against other teams. Our defence is working, and while it makes me anxious we have rarely screwed it up.

The team is going to change for next season. A number of players are out of contract in the summer, and there will be new signings that fit Enzo's system. It's not going to be easy to switch to a different style if it all goes wrong in the autumn.

It isn't thrill a minute stuff but the table doesn't lie. It works and will take us up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

The big difference in this year's playing around at the back is that we are conceding far fewer goals than last year.

Of course part of this is a lower standard of opposition, but that isn't the entirety. Many of the teams that we are stifling have been freely scoring against other teams. Our defence is working, and while it makes me anxious we have rarely screwed it up.

The team is going to change for next season. A number of players are out of contract in the summer, and there will be new signings that fit Enzo's system. It's not going to be easy to switch to a different style if it all goes wrong in the autumn.

It isn't thrill a minute stuff but the table doesn't lie. It works and will take us up.

The fans know better. entitled cvnts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

I disagree - we are building the foundation of how to play. It will grow from there. Pep has talked about his next evolution being working out cleverer ways to attack. Similar to chess - every grandmaster uses the same set of openings, but its in the middle game they look to make the difference. This style of play is not one size fits all.

But the fact is we are not only having one of our best seasons ever - we are having one of the greatest English league seasons ever. And not being enthused by it, blaming it on the opposition, and worrying about it not being good enough for the future is a really sad way to view it. :(

Sorry but I don’t like chess and find it’s not the best spectator sport. 
As I’ve said on numerous occasions I am enjoying this season, I am very pleased with what is being achieved, just find the football to be duller than it could be given the quality we face each week. I think modern football has less room for flamboyance and individual skill than it used to and that I think is a shame. 
I don’t expect or need you to agree with me on this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Come on man, it’s high level sport. It’s 30+ thousand people, all with opinions. It’s Rome. They want blood on the sand. Teams put to the sword. Enzo gets paid very well indeed, the players better still. Fans are allowed their foibles surely. I’m not yet ready to live in a sterile world where nobody can say or feel anything in case it offends someone with skin no thicker than rice paper. 

The whole point is, we are doing great, so is Enzo. Fans are allowed to voice their feelings, that’s ok. As a professional manager being given a golden opportunity at a good club it would seem, to me, a little churlish to threaten to quit over it. 

I don't imagine he plans to quit, but making such a statement might give some of the boo boys a kick up the arse.

I get what you're saying, i just don't understand why people still feel the need to groan when we've lost 4 games in 29, especially after seeing just 5 home wins last season.  It's sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gubbins said:

Its surely a mixture of both the opposition and the way we play. We could try something different rather than relentless controlled possesion but choose not too and even when we do it is often eventually abandoned for more cb passing drills. Even if you're right I still find the thing exhaustingly dull to watch which just goes to show that it's modern football and not just maresca ball that I don't like.

Fair enough, but from what i've seen we DO try different things, every game.

1 hour ago, biggs said:

Simply not true - most games teams have played so deep we've had 10 players in the opposition half for long periods.

Naturally there are times, from goal kicks etc, where we start deeper, but then that's right at the start of each possession, but gradually we'll work it up.  Sometimes, high pressing teams put us in trouble, but 'plenty of chances' is surely an exaggeration.

Because football brings out such strong and spontaneous reactions,  when there’s a miscontrol, like KDH, or when a promising piece of play stops because the ball is played back and back again, there is naturally a collective groan. This plays out in matches everywhere. Same as when a good piece of play is shown appreciation. I’m very happy with our position and playing style but think Enzo is a bit unfair with his comments. Has anyone actually heard him saying this or has it had a spin put on it.

I just don’t get some of our fans, 10 points clear and top of the league and still not satisfied, your the ones that will drive him away and then when he’s gone you’ll wonder why, hand in your season ticket and let those who want to support the club and manager have your seat, The mind boggles 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Obviously we're at risk of mismatching football semantics but just looking at the last 10 games I'm seeing:

• Plymouth H 4-0 Dominated
  • Millwall H 3-2 Dominated
  • Birmingham A 3-2 Dominated
  • Rotherham H 3-0 Dominated
  • Ipswich A 1-1 Dominated (maybe struggled a bit towards the last 20 minutes, but should have been out of site by then had we not been denied a stonewall penalty)
  • Cardiff A 2-0 Hugely dominated
  • Huddersfield H 4-1 Dominated
  • Coventry A 1-3 obviously not 
  • Ipswich H 1-1 wouldn't say dominated. But the better side for first 75 mins
  • Swansea H 3-1 Dominated

Different interpretations.

I cannot remember all of these games specifically, but I would call ipswich 50/50 we had first half, they had second, I thought the views of many Leicester fans in the ipswich thread were very rose tinted, I think with bias to own club.  The second half in that game is one of the worst halves of football I have ever seen us play.

Didnt watch swansea due to lack of feed available. Friend who attended said we were poor.

Birmingham was a slight edge, we were just very clinical in that game with a great counter.

Huddersfield, poor first half where we tried to make it a training session, but decent second half.

Millwall tight game.  Had to adjust second half.

Cardiff, I agree on, they were very passive, also Rotherham of course the worst team in the league right now.

Lets see how good we are on 16 march.

Edited by Chrysalis

To be fair I can see him walking. It’s clear he’s already ****ed off with the board, and he’s no shrinking violet, unlike Rodgers he’s likely to upset important figures at the club by telling them how it is. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

To be fair I can see him walking. It’s clear he’s already ****ed off with the board, and he’s no shrinking violet, unlike Rodgers he’s likely to upset important figures at the club by telling them how it is. 

You never know, Liverpool may be very keen on Enzo already (long-term project)..:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

My interpretation as well, I think the comment is pat of the frustration with the January window.