Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Stoke (A) 0-5 -- Post-Match Thread

On 03/02/2024 at 19:11, whoareyaaa said:

Brendan Rodgers wants to sign Dan Amarey and Dan Ward in the summer

Why should some non-entity more worried about religious ground than football,in taking over 2 ex historical figures of our past,concern us…

3 names that will fall probably faster into  the mists of time ..

Those days are past gone..Another era is dawning..

That was a great response to the fans who were saying play it forward etc at the Swansea game.

Hopefully it has silenced them for a bit.

Wouldn't mind being defensive at Watford and grabbing a goal on the counter.

The Sheffield Wednesday game could potentially be a cricket score, given their defence.

6 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

That was a great response to the fans who were saying play it forward etc at the Swansea game.

The Sheffield Wednesday game could potentially be a cricket score, given their defence.

We thought that last time we played Sheff Wed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Never works out that way though does it? We were supposed to put 8 past QPR..

• Like 2

On 03/02/2024 at 21:02, DennisNedry said:

This is exactly what the 'moaners' wanted to see.

Going for the throat and scoring for fun rather than sitting back on a slender lead against dogshit opposition.

Excellent performance.

Which is why their moaning is so asinine - they booed against swansea, where we played exactly the same, the only difference was a second penalty and a brilliantly worked jamie vardy classic

9 hours ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Anyone else have a pang of guilt as we slowly dismantled them yesterday? 

No me neither absolutely fuch them after 1996 and 2008. 

A dish served extremely cold is always the best! 

I was almost feeling a bit sorry for them.

Then I remembered standing there in 2008, with their lot taunting us after being relegated.   So nah, bllocks to that.

But then I thought ... if they hadn't relegated us that day, we would probably have kept Holloway, never had Pearson that first time, possibly never the 2nd time, history would've been different and we would never have won the Premier League.

So I'm glad Stoke beat us in 2008.   Good old Stoke.

I'm confused! .......................   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

^ Here's our fourth goal, which actually starts with a Stoke attack. Their press actually works here as they rob the ball from Faes, but we are able to quickly recover the ball, then play out and find Winks, who is in acres of space. He has the freedom of the Potteries, meaning he can turn, drive and pick out a fantastic pass to James Justin. Here we see serious work from Ricardo who drops from the double pivot into defence to help win the ball back, before finding his midfield partner in crime Winks to do serious damage. That was the biggest difference in this game. Leicester were able to connect attacks from back-to-front, whereas there was way too much space in behind the attacking block from Stoke, which Leicester were only too happy to exploit. Interestingly, Man United under Ten Hag have a similar sort of problem.

Incredible goal - the pass for Winks is perfection, allowing JJ to swoop it to Vardy first time - but OMG why doesn't JJ do that more! he's clearly capable, but is the worst culprit for turning and going backwards.

I feel like Maresca is happy to have Doyle back and keen to see what JJ can do on the right, where he clearly is better.  If he can sustain the confidence to play balls like this, he might even be a contender to play more often as an attacking winger - alas, one swallow does not a summer make!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BertFill said:

Just imagine if Mavididi, Fatawu and Daka could all shoot as well as they can do other stuff...!

I would be interested to see how their conversion rate compares....

12 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Another Stoke Vlog...

Seems more normal than some of the people doing vlogs but bloody hell, imagine being next to that every week. Constant filming and commentary. 

My manager is a Stoke fan and her lad was a mascot for the game. She wasn't predicting a good result but I don't think she was expecting that!

Edited by ajthefox

On 03/02/2024 at 23:57, StriderHiryu said:

Stoke 0 - 5 Leicester City

This was a ruthless demolition of Stoke and the type of result that has "Champions" written all over Leicester. That said it must be said this was a naive tactical setup from Stephen Schumacher of Stoke who decided to go man-to-man and press a team that was far superior to his in every single department. Here is my artist's rendition of Stoke trying to take on Leicester at their own game, showcasing the expected result such an approach would have:

giphy.gif

Schumacher plays an attacking style of football, which has a lot to like about it. In the offensive phase, they committed a lot of men forwards, often having a numerical superiority in the attacking phase. Here's a still shot of one of their better chances, where we see that they have 7 players in shot and a 4 on 4 situation when getting into our box.

3FBTxnU.png

However, this comes at a cost, and that cost is that to work around the lack of pace and athleticism in the Stoke line-up, they have two blocks that are often too far away from one another. Here we see their centre back trying to play a pass forwards. The distance required is way too great and means the pass is susceptible to being intercepted. In this move, Mavididi gets to the ball first, and the move ends with Kase McAteer netting for Leicester.

Ad2iaSe.png

The problem with Stoke's setup is that they lack a good way to play back-to-front other than smashing the ball downfield, which they attempted over 30 times. In this shot we see that they have only one central midfielder to find, and it was too easy for us to block the passing lanes to this player. Compare this to our setup that has both Harry Winks and Ricardo in the double pivot in the offensive phase, meaning we are able to play smoothly from back to front with both control and threat.

giphy.gif

^ Here's our fourth goal, which actually starts with a Stoke attack. Their press actually works here as they rob the ball from Faes, but we are able to quickly recover the ball, then play out and find Winks, who is in acres of space. He has the freedom of the Potteries, meaning he can turn, drive and pick out a fantastic pass to James Justin. Here we see serious work from Ricardo who drops from the double pivot into defence to help win the ball back, before finding his midfield partner in crime Winks to do serious damage. That was the biggest difference in this game. Leicester were able to connect attacks from back-to-front, whereas there was way too much space in behind the attacking block from Stoke, which Leicester were only too happy to exploit. Interestingly, Man United under Ten Hag have a similar sort of problem.

Though Stoke's setup made it easy for us, this was a complete performance from Leicester. From minute one to minute 95, it only ever looked like a battering being handed out. Probably for the first time this season, we maintained our rhythm and momentum throughout the entire match. Subs didn't break our flow and neither did putting players in positions they weren't so familiar with like McAteer as an 8 or Justin as a wide winger. Usually Leicester also score most of our goals from our attacking 8's or our wingers, but today neither Mavididi or KDH scored, despite scoring 5. Today we were able to find our strikers through clever attacking play, and they made the difference.

We were likely to hand out a tonking to someone this season, and if teams dare setup in as naive a manner as this against us, it won't be the last time!

I kept looking at the highlights and your clip isnt in the footage, so I guess ask, where is this footage from?  As I want to see it directly in front of me. :)

--

Here is my observation from whats on the extended, I added bit in brackets for 4th goal based on your hidden footage and comment.

1st goal after few passes winks direct pass to KDH up the pitch leads to goal
2nd gol bad pass from stoke, intercepted by mavididi halfway line, dribbles forward and leads to goal.
3rd goal faes dribbles forward all way up pitch, leads to penalty
4th goal winks dribbling forward, long pass to justin on wing, cross to vardy goal.  (very direct from stoke attack from strider's extra footage)
5th goal counter

Full on enzo ball 2.0 to me, it was seen repeatedly, that when we had the ball we had motivation to get it forward quickly.  However without having seen the full game its not a proper opinion, as its based on selective highlights.

Edited by Chrysalis

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Incredible goal - the pass for Winks is perfection, allowing JJ to swoop it to Vardy first time - but OMG why doesn't JJ do that more! he's clearly capable, but is the worst culprit for turning and going backwards.

I feel like Maresca is happy to have Doyle back and keen to see what JJ can do on the right, where he clearly is better.  If he can sustain the confidence to play balls like this, he might even be a contender to play more often as an attacking winger - alas, one swallow does not a summer make!

You can see the difference from 1.0 to 2.0(1.1) yet? :)

When he turns and goes backwards its when we lean to enzo ball 1.0 and will be under enzo's instruction, you blaming JJ for 1.0 enzo ball.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I kept looking at the highlights and your clip isnt in the footage, so I guess ask, where is this footage from?  As I want to see it directly in front of me. :)

--

Here is my observation from whats on the extended, I added bit in brackets for 4th goal based on your hidden footage and comment.

1st goal after few passes winks direct pass to KDH up the pitch leads to goal
2nd gol bad pass from stoke, intercepted by mavididi halfway line, dribbles forward and leads to goal.
3rd goal faes dribbles forward all way up pitch, leads to penalty
4th goal winks dribbling forward, long pass to justin on wing, cross to vardy goal.  (very direct from stoke attack from strider's extra footage)
5th goal counter

Full on enzo ball 2.0 to me, it was seen repeatedly, that when we had the ball we had motivation to get it forward quickly.  However without having seen the full game its not a proper opinion, as its based on selective highlights.

For some reason, even though it's the extended highlights, they missed out the full footage of that goal. You can see it here:

Otherwise the extended highlights are good. We made a lot of chances and looked like the complete package.

• Thanks 1

Is there any footage of the McAteer incident? Can't find it on any of the extended highlights, which is odd for a potentially game changing incident.  I watched it live on a stream and remember the Stoke player (think it was Burger) yell something directly in his face but would like to see if the incident was more innocuous than i remember.

Edited by Chelmofox

11 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Downside to Justin playing on the left. I’d like to see a back 3 at some point of Doyle Vestergaard Justin with Ricardo inverting from the left

33 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

For some reason, even though it's the extended highlights, they missed out the full footage of that goal. You can see it here:

Otherwise the extended highlights are good. We made a lot of chances and looked like the complete package.

Thank you, I do think its important to see proper build ups leading to goals, then people like me and you can appreciate more of the play that leads to these goals, as I do enjoy my debates with you.

I do agree of the footage available for this game, we look very good.  Gutted I didnt see the game.

12 seconds between when we recovered the ball in our box and that Vardy goal. :)

Edited by Chrysalis

24 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Is there any footage of the McAteer incident? Can't find it on any of the extended highlights, which is off for a potentially game changing incident.  I watched it live on a stream and remember the Stoke player (think it was Burger) yell something directly in his face but would like to see if the incident was more innocuous than i remember.

McAteer would've been off if that was a Premier League match. And yes, it could've been match changing much like Cov. However, I think we would've had too much for a woeful Stoke to come back even against 10 men. Thankfully we didn't have to find out.