Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Blue Cards for Sin-Bins

19 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Dude - the player is sent off - that's the point.  If the ref get's a second yellow wrong it ruins the game.  It is possible to have different review rules for different situations.  A first yellow is not reviewable because on it's own it doesn't punish a team by reducing the amount of players - a second yellow does, thus it should be checked.

And of course a second yellow causes a sending off more than the first does - one yellow will never be a sending off without a second; a second will always be a sending off.

Nothing ruins a game more than a sending off, that's why they opted for VAR to check all red cards - why should a red for a second bookable offence be any different than a straight red for a hand ball?

I fear we're never going to agree!

Getting the second yellow wrong doesn't ruin the game any more than getting the first one wrong does. If either are wrong then the red is unjustified.

Why should a red for a second bookable offence be any different than a straight red? Because the red isn't for the second bookable offence! It's for two yellow cards, both of which contribute equally to the red.

• Like 1

The blatant poor use of the yellow card isn't helping.

The amount of times that a player dives or goes to ground looking for a free kick or penalty is ridiculous. Most refs wave play on, surely knowing he's being tempted to give in. Just book the cheat. It isn't difficult. 

3 hours ago, BertFill said:

I fear we're never going to agree!

Getting the second yellow wrong doesn't ruin the game any more than getting the first one wrong does. If either are wrong then the red is unjustified.

Why should a red for a second bookable offence be any different than a straight red? Because the red isn't for the second bookable offence! It's for two yellow cards, both of which contribute equally to the red.

Clearly not - i think you're overthinking this - all i'm trying to say is that VAR provides an opportunity to prevent an injustice if a second yellow is wrongly given.  Surely that makes sense, as no game is ever the same with a player sent off.  It's not about which card is wrong it's about the fact that a second yellow sends a player off, that can be simply checked - so we should be checking them.  It's not about absolute justice but preventing something at the final possible moment to do so.

I understand that both yellows contribute to a red, of course - the issue is not to get everything perfect to have zero errors by double checking every decision but to seize the opportunity when a second yellow is given to make sure it is correct - i'm thinking about situations where a player knows his opponent is on a yellow and deliberately fakes being fouled to get him a second yellow - not to question weather every yellow is correct.