Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Leeds (A) pre match thread

31 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Of the 5 games we’ve lost, 3 have been 1-0, and one 2-1.

In both Middlesbrough games and the Hull game, we created more than enough chances to win the game, but just had off days. I don’t think chance creation was a problem - look at Saturday, we had at least 4 clear cut opportunities, on another day we win all three of those games.

The Leeds game was a bit of a stalemate,  their one decent chance fell for them, our one decent chance their keeper pulled off a worldie of a save. - I do think this was the only game where we failed to create anything meaningful.

That will need to be looked at here, but I think if Mavididi and Fatawu are firing then we give them all sorts of problems. I’d go with Daka from the start and Vardy for the last 20.

The biggest problem is who gives us that physical presence in midfield? I’d be tempted to go with Choudhury over Praet for that purpose. It would mean KDH and Winks would need to be on top form though.

Daka should be on the bench and Mavididi too - I think he will go Vardy rightly and Mcateer wrongly but he will want some cover and I think will set out not to lose - I hope I am wrong but we will see

Massive week training and EM’s biggest test can he tactically stop Leeds and make sure we do not get overran - be a good insight into his tactics against a prem level side!

Mads

Faes      Vesty       Doyle

Ricky     Winksy

Yunus     KDH

Abdul                                Mavididi    

Cannon

I was thinking we need to be changing Daka and Justin but this game will need all the players to be fit and Praet's barely making half time at the moment. I don't have as much of a downer on him as some but his lack of match fitness will be an issue with an intense game like this. I've got a feeling Enzo will stick him and Daka but he's got to be concerned about the thought of Justin up against the likes of Summerville and Gnonto when he just made Ayling look like Trent Alexander Arnold.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

How? He’s not going to play, is he? 

He’s not, but it’s going to be a night for big characters to be able to deal with the occasion and the atmosphere that’s coming and let’s be honest it not our strong point is it.

I wouldn’t be disappointed at all to see him on the pitch come kick off tbh

55 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Daka should be on the bench and Mavididi too - I think he will go Vardy rightly and Mcateer wrongly but he will want some cover and I think will set out not to lose - I hope I am wrong but we will see

Massive week training and EM’s biggest test can he tactically stop Leeds and make sure we do not get overran - be a good insight into his tactics against a prem level side!

The trouble is, when you’re wedded to a tactic as firmly as Enzo is to his, how do you tweak that to compensate for another team’s strengths? I don’t think he will, not in any meaningful way. 

Hope I’m wrong, but I seriously doubt it. We will go out to play our game and impose our style. If, and when, that doesn’t work, we will resort to headless chicken mode. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

He’s not, but it’s going to be a night for big characters to be able to deal with the occasion and the atmosphere that’s coming and let’s be honest it not our strong point is it.

I wouldn’t be disappointed at all to see him on the pitch come kick off tbh

Given that Maresca has hardly used Coady even against the weaker teams in the division, I’d say that the chances of him bringing him in to play against arguably the second best side after ourselves are pretty slim.

On the latest BSLB podcast one of the regulars said that he’d heard that ’all was not rosy in the garden’ with Coady at the club, which I took to mean that he’s unhappy at his lack of playing time. I’ve no idea if this is true, but it makes sense. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him moved on in the summer. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It's worse than that - we could be 6 points ahead of 4th! Ipswich have 2 very winnable home games this week. 

6 points ahead is still a great lead that any of our competitors would snap your hand off for. With some supporters you only have to lose one match and mass hysteria breaks out. Did anyone honestly believe we could go all season without losing a few matches? 

• Like 2

Leeds fan here. What are you worried about? Win, lose, or draw Friday you still romp the league. There's a reason Leicester are so far ahead. This past weekend was just a blip. Everyone else is fighting for second.

Leeds need this game far more than Leicester do.

Edited by John in Louisiana
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, John in Louisiana said:

Leeds fan here. What are you worried about? Win, lose, or draw Friday you still romp the league. There's a reason Leicester are so far ahead. This past weekend was just a blip. Everyone else is fighting for second.

Because it will be another situation of dropped points against the league “better” teams. Plus, some of us are fearful of our bottle, and a bad result against you guys not only opens the door slightly for you to make a push for the title but it’s a sucker punch for us. 

Im just fearful you’ll end up battering us, and shatter our confidence, which after Saturday looks a bit vulnerable at present. 

It all sounds ridiculous considering we’re top of the league, but at times it’s not been all that convincing and we’ve blown many good positions in recent history, it’s a fragility I don’t think Enzo has had time to work totally out of the squad. 

It’s fair to say it’s a big, big game. And a win for you could be huge come the end of the season. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

How? He’s not going to play, is he? 

He won’t no, but one thing that’s been clear in defeat is we lack leadership. Winksy is the only player who really fills that role, heads dropped after Boro’s second goal, and you could just tell we’d lost a percentage of fight. That’s what concerns me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

Mads

Faes      Vesty       Doyle

Ricky     Winksy

Yunus     KDH

Abdul                                Mavididi    

Cannon

I was thinking we need to be changing Daka and Justin but this game will need all the players to be fit and Praet's barely making half time at the moment. I don't have as much of a downer on him as some but his lack of match fitness will be an issue with an intense game like this. I've got a feeling Enzo will stick him and Daka but he's got to be concerned about the thought of Justin up against the likes of Summerville and Gnonto when he just made Ayling look like Trent Alexander Arnold.

Praet went off on 89 on Saturday...

• Like 2

Their attack concerns me. We've been let off the hook many times this season because 95% of the teams in this league have terrible attackers. We can't leave ourselves as open and exposed as we did against Boro. Of course it will be a different game as Boro parked the bus like most teams do, Leeds won't do this and will want to attack us. We are not used to teams attacking us as its happened rarely this season. Whilst them attacking will open up gaps for us to exploit, I fear our defence could weak if put under serious scrutiny, again this hasn't happened all too often this season. 

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Their attack concerns me. We've been let off the hook many times this season because 95% of the teams in this league have terrible attackers. We can't leave ourselves as open and exposed as we did against Boro. Of course it will be a different game as Boro parked the bus like most teams do, Leeds won't do this and will want to attack us. We are not used to teams attacking us as its happened rarely this season. Whilst them attacking will open up gaps for us to exploit, I fear our defence could weak if put under serious scrutiny, again this hasn't happened all too often this season. 

Thing about Leeds is, they aren't a possession-obsessed side like we are.  Against teams that park the bus sure, they'll have the majority of the ball.  Against us they'll be happy to let us have 60% possession and rely on the pace and technical ability of their attackers to strike quickly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Praet went off on 89 on Saturday...

No I know that and he lasted a fair way into the Sheff Wed game too but he LOOKS shattered. You can see him in the second half of games noticeably slower and taking a lot longer to get back after forward runs. It's not a criticism, it's totally expected of any player after a long lay off but its got to be taken into account with two games a week for most of the season now.

• Like 1

Just now, iancognito said:

No I know that and he lasted a fair way into the Sheff Wed game too but he LOOKS shattered. You can see him in the second half of games noticeably slower and taking a lot longer to get back after forward runs. It's not a criticism, it's totally expected of any player after a long lay off but its got to be taken into account with two games a week for most of the season now.

True - but in order to get the best out of him he needs to get back to match fitness too. He was getting down the side and pulling balls back right to the end yesterday, so i think it's essential we re-build him, both physically after injuries and mentally after BR. You might agree with me that he may well have been dreadfully managed previously.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

True - but in order to get the best out of him he needs to get back to match fitness too. He was getting down the side and pulling balls back right to the end yesterday, so i think it's essential we re-build him, both physically after injuries and mentally after BR. You might agree with me that he may well have been dreadfully managed previously.

100% one of a few that weren't. Tielemans first full season where Youri went totally out of form, Praet had a spell of 10-15 games where he looked like the best Belgian midfielder at the club. It was only that hamstring rip that ruined his season. Not quite sure what happened with Rodgers behind the scenes but you get the impression Dennis felt he was better than the bench and the sporadic game time didn't help him get his fitness back.

• Like 1

Last game, both wingers created

top chances, and put in other decent crosses. Fatawu also wasted in his last 20 minutes 2-3 prime opportunities. 

For this game I fancy Cannon, he gives

us, hight and different style of runs and link up play.. 

@Aus Fox mentioned Chouds instead of Praet... not a bad call, he is capable ofof playing that more Attacking role and can be asking to fill that middle space to cover Leeds CM, that often is the source of their rapid transitions, and in those periods of defending is that spoiler. Though I believe Praet when asked, to play that different role, can also deliver... Plus I actually believe Nacho is suited and could play generally  that partner role with KdH.

M'borough forced us to make those 2 high line defensive errors.. We were at home trying o force the space too mch

(hindsight).. Away might be different.. 

We shouldn't forget.. Vestergaad 2, Daka, Vardy howler, the game would have ran and panned out differently.. 

The system nor Enzo failed.. but just again, which sometimes happens football story gets in the way.

M'borough can claim double over the champions.... :dunno:

I ain't cancelling May celebrations. 

I am looking forward to Leeds, no more apprehension or doubts that I would have for any other game... 

Win or draw, very healthy strong posiition... Lose.. still healthy position. 

If we have o take the headlines we scrape the Championship... 

after 46 games you don't scrape anything. one scraps and earns it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John in Louisiana said:

Blowing a double digit points advantage when we were in the top 4 of the prem, and finishing 5th two seasons running, from a similar amount of game that were left, probably leaves us a little twitchy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Thing about Leeds is, they aren't a possession-obsessed side like we are.  Against teams that park the bus sure, they'll have the majority of the ball.  Against us they'll be happy to let us have 60% possession and rely on the pace and technical ability of their attackers to strike quickly. 

That's exactly what they will be looking to do, and they have a tactically astute manager too.

Although I expect that early on especially they may look to press hard on our defence, when we try and play out, because they had a bit of success down here doing it.

The game is a concern, and we could really do with scoring the first goal in this match.

A draw will be OK, a win and I think it will pretty much seal the deal, in terms of Leeds catching us, but lose and everything is back in the melting pot.

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 2