Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Leeds (A) pre match thread

21 minutes ago, copunk said:

As others have said even if we lose it's still a 6 point gap which will still require a number of game swings between ourselves, Leeds, Ipswich and Southampton

2 to be exact!

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fascinated to see if Enzo's come up with a game plan for this that's distinctly different to our norm.

From memory, Farke got the better of him at our place 

it wasn’t like we were banging on their doors with loads of goal attempts 

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fascinated to see if Enzo's come up with a game plan for this that's distinctly different to our norm.

I'm not sure that he needs to, does he? 

Like I said before, our "norm" can manifest in a few ways. Norwich got really in our face and tried to swarm us on and off the ball in our own half, we pulled off a counter attacking master class and battered them.

Southampton tried to out-Leicester us, building from the back and keeping the ball, we pulled off a high pressing master class and battered them. 

Huddersfield tried to park the bus and keep it solid, we pulled off a creative master class and battered them. 

Don't think Enzo would say the actual game plan was really any different in any of those games. We wanted to go out and control all three but equally we're prepared and ready to win other ways if we need to. If Leeds come at us tonight and play aggressively to take the initiative, Boro game aside, we've been good enough all season to soak up what pressure and murder them on the break. But we can do thst without having a particular distinct plan to do so, it's just how the game unfolds. 

I can see it happening tbh. I think it'll be a different Leeds to the one that came to Leicester. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

From memory, Farke got the better of him at our place 

it wasn’t like we were banging on their doors with loads of goal attempts 

It was actually a game of nearly chances, the amount of last ditch tackles or clearances from us (mainly Ricardo and Faes) was notable and likewise we created a lot of openings only for a shot to somehow not occur (this can be seen in the high xA we had in that game).

Leeds were the better team that night, but it wasn't by much. I'd take another game like that tonight but want to see us be braver and more ruthless and the outcome may well be different.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Very interested to see who will be the other 8.

Leeds bullied the midfield earlier in the season with their physicality. Ndidi is such a huge loss.

Probably going to be either McAteer or Hamza.

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not sure that he needs to, does he? 

Like I said before, our "norm" can manifest in a few ways. Norwich got really in our face and tried to swarm us on and off the ball in our own half, we pulled off a counter attacking master class and battered them.

Southampton tried to out-Leicester us, building from the back and keeping the ball, we pulled off a high pressing master class and battered them. 

Huddersfield tried to park the bus and keep it solid, we pulled off a creative master class and battered them. 

Don't think Enzo would say the actual game plan was really any different in any of those games. We wanted to go out and control all three but equally we're prepared and ready to win other ways if we need to. If Leeds come at us tonight and play aggressively to take the initiative, Boro game aside, we've been good enough all season to soak up what pressure and murder them on the break. But we can do thst without having a particular distinct plan to do so, it's just how the game unfolds. 

I can see it happening tbh. I think it'll be a different Leeds to the one that came to Leicester. 

Ipswich at home there was a big emphasis on the press, we were almost playing an Ajax of the 70's type total football system of players moving around to slot in to ensure the press didn't get disjointed in the 1st half.

This was something Enzo evidently felt would trouble Ipswich and it did, they were all over the place 1st half and we should have been in a commanding position of 2 or 3 to the good.

The teams that have beaten us this season have managed to make us vulnerable on the counter attack and although I don't expect us to give up possession for the sake of it, the one thing Leeds are vulnerable at is being frustrated and hit themselves.

We've got to get their full backs out of position, Mavididi and Fatawu need to be almost faultless as well as our midfield trio standing up to the Leeds counterparts, that was a battle we eventually succumbed to back in October.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Really?  I thought you were the man who knew things. You really think Enzo is likely to change his tactics?

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It was actually a game of nearly chances, the amount of last ditch tackles or clearances from us (mainly Ricardo and Faes) was notable and likewise we created a lot of openings only for a shot to somehow not occur (this can be seen in the high xA we had in that game).

Leeds were the better team that night, but it wasn't by much. I'd take another game like that tonight but want to see us be braver and more ruthless and the outcome may well be different.

Fuvk me we've moved on from XG to XA nowlol can't we just say the other team looked dangerous

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Come on Ric, he's being the bollocks. First time I've wanted Enzo as my Dad after that comment 

I get his point, Leeds will be RT this all over social media if we get spun 3-0. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ipswich at home there was a big emphasis on the press, we were almost playing an Ajax of the 70's type total football system of players moving around to slot in to ensure the press didn't get disjointed in the 1st half.

This was something Enzo evidently felt would trouble Ipswich and it did, they were all over the place 1st half and we should have been in a commanding position of 2 or 3 to the good.

The teams that have beaten us this season have managed to make us vulnerable on the counter attack and although I don't expect us to give up possession for the sake of it, the one thing Leeds are vulnerable at is being frustrated and hit themselves.

We've got to get their full backs out of position, Mavididi and Fatawu need to be almost faultless as well as our midfield trio standing up to the Leeds counterparts, that was a battle we eventually succumbed to back in October.

Leeds have improved a lot against lower blocks over the last few months. They have become really effective at blitzing a team early, going ahead, normally by a couple of goals and then winning the game.

I'll be honest, I've no idea how I'd play it tonight. Sitting back and trying to eliminate their pace going forward doesn't really suit us. We don't like not having control and eventually we'll start to panic. Press them high up the pitch to try and cut off their transitions at source, like we did against Ipswich at home, could be suicide if we don't do it well enough. We'll also tire doing that.

A lot will depend on what Leeds do. It's evident that Maresca tries to predict the oppositions game plan and then trains all week to combat it. Whenever the opposition have sprung a surprise we've often struggled in the first halves of those games. Leeds have the quality to kill the game off by half time if that happens.

I suspect Leeds will come flying out of the traps to try and get ahead. If they don't, they'll drop a bit deeper to try and spring some traps.

• Like 1

I fully expect that quote to be pinned on their dressing room wall but I think Enzo is right to say it. We are 9 points clear for a reason, I think we probably lose later because of momentum but if you look at the run Leeds have had, 8 in a row, we have beaten those same 8 teams convincingly so its all timing in this league. I think there is a level of Leeds love in that is probably annoying him a bit to be fair