Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

LCFC sliding doors moments

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Castagne putting it either side of the keeper at the end against Newcastle last season. He'd have had winners against both them and Wolves to keep us up and achieved Cult Hero status.

As it was, put it straight down his throat and now goes down as one of the underperforming shysters responsible for arguably our club's most embarrassing season of all time.

That was a classic example, of being unlucky by connecting with the ball "too well".    If he had just slightly miss-hit it by a fraction, it would've flown past the keeper into the net.   

And being just about the last kick of the game, it would've guarenteed a win, and probable safety from relegation.

Fine margins!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There was a fair bit of talk around that game that he was gone if we lost wasn't there? It was in hindsight the worst fixture we could've had.

That run we had in October will forever be bizarre to me. How did we manage a run of 4 wins in 5 games with Ward only letting in 1 goal? Like how did that happen? All just contributes to the perfect storm to relegate us idea. It was like no matter what happened we would revert to being terrible anyway.

faced a few out of form crappy sides near the bottom

11 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

faced a few out of form crappy sides near the bottom

We lost twice to Southampton. It was a pretty mad run totally at odds with everything we saw. We actually looked semi organised.

Quite impressive to have that run and still go down.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

If Tony James didn't score v Oxford, we'd probably be in the conference now.

My one and only time on the pitch after that !!   Calm down everyone before I'm called a hooligan.....I wouldn't do it these days 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I was 8 when this game was on so only have a vague recollection of it, but was Walsh wearing number 9? 

Yes that’s right - playing as a striker. I think we had a lot of injuries and we were playing players out of position everywhere, but I was also 8 year old at the time so maybe someone else has a more reliable memory! 

I have a DVD full match of this, and my god the football we played then was awful. We were really outplayed football wise by Derby. But I suppose needs must, with a lot injuries etc you play to your strengths and stick all the big blokes on to get flick ons for little blokes like Joachim.

46 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There was a fair bit of talk around that game that he was gone if we lost wasn't there? It was in hindsight the worst fixture we could've had.

That run we had in October will forever be bizarre to me. How did we manage a run of 4 wins in 5 games with Ward only letting in 1 goal? Like how did that happen? All just contributes to the perfect storm to relegate us idea. It was like no matter what happened we would revert to being terrible anyway.

It was billed as whoever loses gets sacked and we ended up getting rid of Brendan before Cooper went 😂

• Like 1

Imagine if we had sold Vardy for £5m to WBA …….when most fans were offering to drive him to the Hawthorns, 2015/16 would never have happened and we wouldn’t have our goat 🐐 makes you realise as fans just how impatient and the expectations we place on players to be an immediate success. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Imagine if we had sold Vardy for £5m to WBA …….when most fans were offering to drive him to the Hawthorns, 2015/16 would never have happened and we wouldn’t have our goat 🐐 makes you realise as fans just how impatient and the expectations we place on players to be an immediate success. 

So many things came together at once that season, it would only need one very small difference for it not to have happened 

8 hours ago, AKCJ said:

If Ayoze Perez scored that absolute sitter against Chelsea a few days after we won the FA Cup then we'd be in the same sort of position as Villa and Newcastle are and the stadium redevelopment would be well on the way.

Lol course we would of.. they’d of gone down the other end and scored again within a minute. Rodgers has always been a bottler, saved by VAR in the Fa Cup final. 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Yes that’s right - playing as a striker. I think we had a lot of injuries and we were playing players out of position everywhere, but I was also 8 year old at the time so maybe someone else has a more reliable memory!

He went up front early that season I think, can't remember why, and it worked so well that he just became our centre forward.

Didn't Ian Marshall start as a centre back as well?

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:
10 hours ago, hackenbacker said:

knockaert + penalty ...enough said

Yeah this is the obvious one. No guarantee that we’d have beaten Palace in the final, but incredible to think how different things could’ve been. 

There can't be many other moments that seemed like an utter disaster at the time but given what happened over the next few years it's actually a good thing it went like it did...

The Jim Melrose / Tommy English swop from hell

Buying a useless 3/4th choice Liverpool reject Goalkeeper 

Trusting Rodgers for 18 months too long 

selling Fofana with half a second left of the transfer window 

Buying Adrian Silva with -14 seconds of the transfer window left 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I was 8 when this game was on so only have a vague recollection of it, but was Walsh wearing number 9? 

Played up front 

1 hour ago, BertFill said:

He went up front early that season I think, can't remember why, and it worked so well that he just became our centre forward.

Didn't Ian Marshall start as a centre back as well?

92/93 was when Little first tried Walsh up front due to lack of striker options. In 93/94 he missed a lot of the season, and Speedie and Roberts were brought in. But he was needed up-front in the playoff final as Speedie was suspended and Roberts wasn't 100% fit.

• Like 1

Listen to that commentary. How things have changed. Kevin Keegan as co-commentator. He was manager of high flying Newcastle at the time. Big Ron was co commentator for the Palace play off. 

You don’t get that now. Top league managers commentating on Div 1/championship games. Gave a great insight/feel to the game then a nobhead like Goodman.