Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Leeds United (A) 3-1 - Post-Match Thread

2 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

We played well. I think people are losing sight of that. We missed two sitters, but beyond that I thought we were superb. Also two of their goals were deflections.

What does hurt is the fact we didn't play like that against Middlesbrough. If we had, we'd have walked it.

Playing well includes finishing your chances.

• Like 3

I thought the manager failed to read the game. Fatawu offered nothing, lacked composure - why not address issues as they crop up, and before others start to lose their discipline? As for bringing Kasey on... Well... For the boss to be that far off the pace of what was going on - acting too late, then still managing to make changes which actually weakened our hand - obviously puts you at an unnecessary disadvantage.

The lack of character was alarming. I thought players who'd performed well earlier in the evening - Choudhury, Vestergard, Ricardo - appeared to have lost all sense of discipline, both in terms of positioning and conduct.

But if I were Enzo, I'd pick tonight as the night when I grabbed all the headlines for laying into a ref. A) because the ref was demonstrably awful from start to finish, and b) because it might distract from the way in which he and his players weren't up to it.

I think the disallowed goal was a fair call without VAR.

I thought that Mavididi miss was shocking but then Daka outdid him minutes later.

Mavididi had to be taken off his head dropped and he was clearly mentally struggling as a result of the miss.

But that then suggests we have a serious issue with mental strength.

And if nothing else McAteer highlighted just how important Mavididi's defensive contribution is.

Daka remains a question mark. Clearly preferred for his movement but his attacking game is just such a lottery. I still don't understand how he managed to miss that. Today and Bournemouth gave a glimpse of what a premier league game might look like with the current squad and it's a little concerning. 

We even saw the return of the Faes own goal and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was triggered !!

Not sure what to make of tonight. Maresca got the game spot on. Leedss were gassed by 60 mins and as usual we invite opposition to give us a game with mistimed subs or just general apathy. Saw all of that in the last 10 unfortunately.

Oh well, finally some jeopardy back at home, should mean fans stay until at least 88 minutes 😬

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davelcfc100 said:

It’s a really tough one to take, and you’ve got to win games like that but I can’t help feeling that we’ve been very unlucky. Until the 79th minute we’ve been in complete control. Robbed of a second goal, we’ve conceded another double deflection goal and obviously they’ve got their tails up at 2-1. Maybe I’m making excuses but I thought we were by far the better team which is supposed to be a difficult task at ER.

It’s not excuses. That was one of our best games of the season for the majority of the match. Yes we should have taken our chances but disallowed goal and unlucky deflections too. Leeds to be fair are deserving of their place in the league but if we continue to play like that we should still do it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Sky get what they wanted. 

On a serious note that was seriously bad. 

Pawson made some poor decisions, VAR wasn’t available so we can’t blame that.

What we can say is at 1-0 we had CLEARA chances to bury the game and didn’t.

Mavididi, Daka and Fatawu all disgraceful tonight, some absolutely dreadful misses that would have sealed the points. 

We’re our own worst enemy, we lost this game today. Leeds weren’t that great, but you knew if they got one back it would be game over, and they would eventually win. 

It’a a honking result, we’ve been getting carried away talking about record points and being the “outstanding team” in the division. Yet, we’ve failed to over come our closest competition, dropping points against Ipswich and Leeds. 

It’s not a champions mentality.

Im certain we won’t win the league, but we’ve sure as hell got to spurt ourselves out and make sure we finish second, we can’t afford to drop into the play offs. 

Deeply sickening and disappointing day. But somehow one I felt in my gut was coming. 

Our only hope is this doesn’t kill the lads confidence and completely derail us.

This loss will damage the teams confidence. We are too fragile mentally. We can't see games out. We will need some stronger characters next season.

5 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

No 

We defend well and we win simples.

Went down hill from the 1st goal McAteer at fault. Litterally contributed nothing in any game he has played post injury.

However he is a valuable player for the opposition 

Once again McAteer brought nothing extra to the team when he came on.....and how many touches did Cannon get?

Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

I don't think so. There is always 1 team that starts slow and then is unstoppable for the second half of the season. They'll be in the top 2 for sure. They were terrible for large parts tonight and yet still won 3-1.

Helps when the ref is on your side 

Just now, AjcW said:

Probably played the best game of his career up to that point mate..

Got away with a short back pass and was bailed out. Followed it up with an assist for their striker. 

Ultimately our shortcomings are in both boxes right now. Not taking chances and cockups at the back. 

He's a good passer of the ball, but too many opposition chances come from his mental lapses. 

7 minutes ago, ChrisFilter said:

Some proper bobbins being talked in this thread. 

We absolutely should have buried that. Several guilt-edged chances and Daka not the only guilty party. 

We were superb for large parts of the game so all this hyperbole and comparisons with Brendan Rodgers are ridiculous. Calm the **** down. 

This. Only thing to add is that we also had a perfectly good goal disallowed when we were on top in the second half. This game is all about scoring when you're on top. We did that. We should have been 2-0 up, Leeds then take more risks and it could have been even more fruitful for us.

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 2