Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Leeds United (A) 3-1 - Post-Match Thread

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Even the Messiah had his critics back then..... I think its fair to point out obvious errors that seem to repeat themselves. 

* we seem to concede a lot of goals at the end of the match

* we miss an abundance of chances to score and put the games to bed

* apart from Southampton we haven´t beaten any of our closest competitors

If these issues are not the responsibility of the manager then what is?

I am full of admiration for what he has done here, but our big lead has been thrown away and we seem to rest on the laurels a little, so excuse me for not following your Messiah view here.

The issue is that we're overfocused on the issues and glossing too quickly over what we do well. I have a tendency to so myself but it must me infuriating to be on the receiving end of all this nitpicking.

Who in their right mind would have complained if you showed them this league table at the start of the season?

Our very few games where we've dropped points have mostly been due to late winners/equalisers (except Leeds H and Hull H), which is why we highlight it. But in reality it's a minor chink in the armor.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

This really needs to stop. Surely last season is enough to indicate this.

People need reminding we played alright for 70 odd minutes, but lost a crucial game….. it’s still a defeat regardless of how we played…… and that habit can stick. 

We grossly underperformed last season, it's not even close to being comparable situations. It's annoying as not only did we start the season in flying form, but curiously we had the exact same two results earlier in the season and responded by going on another great run. The lack of belief, trust and positivity among some of our fan base is cancerous.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

The xg table had us finishing 15th last year so that's not true. And it's relative to the level we're at.

You're just proving the point. We were woeful by being 15th in the xG table and yet it also required some bad luck for us to get relegated.

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

I'm so angry I refuse to drink my tea from my usual Leicester City mug this morning. Gone with generic patterned mug - that gives some indication of the severity of the situation.

On a serious note, the thing that galls me the most, is that Leeds didn't win it, we lost it. Also, I think they knew we have a propensity to collapse under pressure, they just had to be patient and we'd do their hard work for them by falling to pieces.

Yeah, Leeds were really patient weren't they? Second half they just thought "Let's gift Leicester some gilt-edged chances and rely on incompetent officials, then we'll suckerpunch them in the end with some measured deflected strikes". It's not like they were hanging on and given obscene amounts of lifelines...

4 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

The manager's substitutions lost it for us again. Negative .... let's hang on to the 1-0 win. We keep doing this and just invite pressure that we cant cope with. We were well on top until he changed things. Mavididi had their winger on toast. McAteer is bang average. 

That 2nd half performance was not of a team hanging on for a 1-0 win.

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

It’s just how you choose your mindset.

As fans we have very little impact on how the results pan out. 

People keep referring to “heard this last season”. It’s all very boring. Get over it.  The difference with that to this season is we have shown that even when not at our best this season we’ve still comfortably won games. Last season even when we were at our very best, we struggled in a lot of games.

The only thing our mentality is lacking is being able to shut out 1-0 leads. Missing sitters isn’t down to mentality, it’s down to competence

Or a lack of composure. It's surprising to me with the strikers we have that we've been so inefficient. If anything, our attackers have been our saving grace for a good number of seasons when our defence and midfield have been poor or average.

• Like 2

Thought we played really well for 80 mins, in the second half we should have been out of sight. It's the Leicester way though to bottle it, but the offside goal was just unforgivable from the officials, i don't know how they could have reached that decision except for being corrupt. 

PS the subs were awful, especially mav for crapateer. Daka shouldn't see the light of day in a lcfc shirt for a while, his misses over the last few games are just incredible, the sort of chances me you or kids should put away nine times out of 10 and he's supposed to be a professional. We really missed Vardy.

Edited by squidsworth

2 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

PS the subs were awful, especially mav for crapateer. Daka shouldn't see the light of day in a lcfc shirt for a while, his misses over the last few games are just incredible, the sort of chances me you or kids should put away nine times out of 10 and he's supposed to be a professional. We really missed Vardy.

Mavadidi was knackered 

maresca spotted that Roberts would be getting forwards so decided he needed legs that side - a kid of macateers age should be able to do that 

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Mavadidi was knackered 

maresca spotted that Roberts would be getting forwards so decided he needed legs that side - a kid of macateers age should be able to do that 

Out of reps, but exactly this. Mavs was totally knackered, that's why he was subbed. I would have put Albrighton on, but McAteer really should have been able to do the job he was asked to do.

Didn't post last night as was too pissed off.

We seem to be masters of our own downfall. 

Misses a hat full to put the game to bed. 

We seem to drop deep in the last 15 and invite pressure. 

Question the mental toughness sometimes, at times we seem passive when defending, both at closing down quickly, also guilty of half turning when blocking shots. Imo that's half the reason we concede a few more deflections than we should. Square up and take one in the face or the cherries.

We also need to be more naughty in yhe dark arts of niggly free kicks to break the game up.

Another issue when legs are tired is our bench is so poor. Subs weaken the team in general. 

Horrible result  last night but for most parts we were good. Not going to get irate about it, just hope it kicks us on.

18 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Without Daka, Faes doesn't score. Daka also got what should have been a legitimate second goal. Yes, he missed a gilt edged chance which was really poor, but his effort throughout kept Leeds honest and more defensive than after he and Mavs went off.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

What I’m seeing here is a lot of people with the same level of complacency endemic last season. We were too good to go down. We’re too good not to go up. 

Most of the game yesterday we were by far the better side. Terrible officiating aside, we should have put it to bed. 

The real test comes in the next game. Win that and we can start to build some momentum again. However, my concern is that the fragility I feared still remains in the team and that will become ever more obvious as the season enters the final straight. Again, hope I’m wrong, but we will see. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

What I’m seeing here is a lot of people with the same level of complacency endemic last season. We were too good to go down. We’re too good not to go up. 

Most of the game yesterday we were by far the better side. Terrible officiating aside, we should have put it to bed. 

The real test comes in the next game. Win that and we can start to build some momentum again. However, my concern is that the fragility I feared still remains in the team and that will become ever more obvious as the season enters the final straight. Again, hope I’m wrong, but we will see

You are wrong.

Edited by ClaphamFox

Guest Chocolate Teapot
10 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

The real test comes in the next game. Win that and we can start to build some momentum again. However, my concern is that the fragility I feared still remains in the team and that will become ever more obvious as the season enters the final straight. Again, hope I’m wrong, but we will see. 

Softness and complacency in every aspect of the club. The boardroom, the players, the manager and the fanbase.

13 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

We were by far the better team, terrible officiating has cost us again in a big game. At 2-0 that’s game over.

Shocking finishing too, only thing worse tonight was the amount of melts in the match thread who appear to take joy from us losing and conceding goals. 
A big moment in our season, we don’t lose another game from here.

How would it have been game over when they scored 3?

I get that we played well etc for about 65 to 70 mins and can at least recognise that, but that does not excuse the 20 mins spell where we fell apart, it's a results based match this was an important match that exposed yet again our inability to score sitters, and maintain a lead, some called it prior to kick off it is a problem that needs rectifying.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Without Daka, Faes doesn't score. Daka also got what should have been a legitimate second goal. Yes, he missed a gilt edged chance which was really poor, but his effort throughout kept Leeds honest and more defensive than after he and Mavs went off.

True but his ability not to finish is something else. We need to give cannon a go in my opinion if Vardy isn't available. We've had about 40 attempts to score in the last two games, and only managed one.  Just because his contribution is good overall isn't enough, he's there to get goals and he's struggled in recent times. Vardy has been the one to get them, not daka.

8 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

How would it have been game over when they scored 3?

Lol, if we're two or three up at that time, I doubt very much they score three! The reason they could do that if because there is only a goal in it and they've got the belief back after equalising. It's impossible to say what happens if we're two or three up, we may even score more.

• Like 1

Just now, joachim1965 said:

Jesus wept, there are no words .

Whilst I dont share his entire thoughts in his post, he does have a point on some of the issues, the match last night highlighted our continued weakness to see out a win and put away goals that at this level should be hitting the net we simply cant hide behind 70 mins of great football that means nothing we lost because of the same old frailties 

• Like 1