Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Leeds United (A) 3-1 - Post-Match Thread

Having spent the day playing golf with a best buddy and Leeds fan, I’ve finally calmed down enough to pass a comment that isn’t borne out of anger. I thought we were great for 80 minutes. Genuinely great. I’ve been less than blown away by a lot of our football this season, but I thought last  night was the best I’ve seen us in possibly two seasons. But nothing will convince me anytime soon that Daka is a natural goal-scorer. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rossiter said:

All of these teams you mention are professional football clubs with professional players. All professional football teams have quality to varying degrees and can hurt their opponents. Professional sport is not a walk in the park. The players that compete in the Championship are no mugs. Every team will suffer at different points in games or over a season and that includes the elite. 

Too much coincidence that it’s in their minds. You knew, as well as I, what was going to happen as soon  as Leeds equalised. We let it happen to ourselves!

1 minute ago, SystonFox said:

Too much coincidence that it’s in their minds. You knew, as well as I, what was going to happen as soon  as Leeds equalised. We let it happen to ourselves!

Fair enough. Good point. I guess it's what makes football interesting and annoying in equal measure. 

8 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

You can say for certain it would have been game over at 2-0?

Yes. Leeds were a shambles until the subs second half, constantly putting five yard passes out of play. Get a second and they would have fallen apart

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SystonFox said:

You can't do much about deflected goals though at any stage of the game. Leeds just got very lucky and they accept that from what I've read. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Found out for ripping Leeds apart  for 80 mins?

I'm struggling to think of a precedent. Our best performance in years. And lost. 

Anyone know what Leeds fans have made of this? Ot must be equally as weird. The crowd sat in stunned silence for all but the opening 2 mins until the 80th watching their team not just be outplayed, but outclassed....so extensively was the gap between the sides it was to the point of humiliation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm struggling to think of a precedent. Our best performance in years. And lost. 

Anyone know what Leeds fans have made of this? Ot must be equally as weird. The crowd sat in stunned silence for all but the opening 2 mins until the 80th watching their team not just be outplayed, but outclassed....so extensively was the gap between the sides it was to the point of humiliation.

Many of their fans on socials feel they were the better team and deserved to win from what I've read. Others though took off their white tinted specs and have admitted they were very lucky to get anything from the game. So many believe they will win the league now.  They need to win every game and hope we drop 6 points. I personally think we'll rally now and go on a run like we did when we lost to Boro and Leeds back to back earlier in the season. I'm not concerned because our last 2 performances deserved 6 points. If we'd lost them both and played crap and deserved to lose then I'd be worried. My take from last night is that we won't be as wasteful as we have been going forward and Leeds won't get as much luck as they did last night going forward. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BluethroughtheMiddle said:

Feels like we have been found out.

‘Found out’ insinuates teams working out how to play you and nullifying your threats and poor performances.

As others have said, we shredded them for 75 odd minutes.

There's definitely an issue with not putting away chances and throwing games away late on having not taken our chances. I’m nervous as hell about this lead now and far from in the ‘it’s fine because we should have won’ group. End of the day, coulda, shoulda, woulda. If the same things are happening over and over, it’s a problem and needs addressing. 

But on the original point, it wasn’t Leeds finding anything out. This was to do with us and us only. If we had done our job, they’d have been buried. Quality and ability wise, they and Ipswich are inferior. But, there’s some issues we need to sort out psychologically as quality and ability are not the entire puzzle.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Many of their fans on socials feel they were the better team and deserved to win from what I've read. Others though took off their white tinted specs and have admitted they were very lucky to get anything from the game. So many believe they will win the league now.  They need to win every game and hope we drop 6 points. I personally think we'll rally now and go on a run like we did when we lost to Boro and Leeds back to back earlier in the season. I'm not concerned because our last 2 performances deserved 6 points. If we'd lost them both and played crap and deserved to lose then I'd be worried. My take from last night is that we won't be as wasteful as we have been going forward and Leeds won't get as much luck as they did last night going forward. 

Ipswich fans also seem to have accepted Leeds are up based on momentum and fixtures left and have their sights set on us!

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Found out for ripping Leeds apart  for 80 mins?

I think this is slightly disrespectful to leeds tbh.

I thought the first half was evenly poised. They ****ed up two excellent chances and it could easily have been all square. From 45 to 70 mins we dominated and they couldn't play through our press.

The last ten minutes were a shambles.

When Maresca took Daka off and the press goes to shit. Whether that was tiredness I don't know.

Its rather simplistic to just say we ripped them apart. The better team, yes but the game is played over 90 mins and we went to shit. You can't sustain being under that level of pressure and dropping so deep, and that's happened against Ipswich twice, Cov (albeit with 10 men) and now Leeds.

We need to figure out a different way to see out games, the team aren't capable of continuing to play out.

9 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm a Leeds fan and yes, we absolutely got lucky.  It's not something I can say often as a Leeds fan but we really did.

But, you're going way OTT in your assessment of the game.  The first half was pretty even.  We had several chances to score, as did you.  Piroe should probably have got one and both Gnonto and Summerville had chances to score when through on goal and made bad choices.

You had a great spell from 50 to 75 mins when you caught us on the break several times and should have scored.  We then completely dominated the last 15/20 minutes in return.

All the chance creation stats were pretty even.  The XG about the same (doesnt factor in the disallowed goal but also doesnt our fluffed 1 on 1 chances). Leeds dominated the ball 60 to 40 percent.  None of that tallies with your assessment of this astonishingly unequal game.

There was something about the flow of it that perhaps skews the perception of how it really went.  You can't airbrush the last 15/20 like it somehow didn't happen because you'd dominated the period before.  The teams took turns to get on top in the second half and you failed to score when you did.  We scored three times with some slices of luck involved.  That was the key difference.

It was a game you could have won with the flow.of it.  You could easily have gone 2 or 3 nil up in the second half.  We could easily have scored 1 or 2 in the first half though.  Nothing happens in isolation though so a great spell in the second half doesn't win you the game and certainly didn't equal an kind of humiliation.  

The one thing you did better than any team we've faced all season, is press our dangerous forward players.  They had no time and that forced us into rushed and bad passes.  When that dropped though, all hell was going to break loose and invariably did.

99.9% of the initial posts on here including my own were born out of sheer frustration. 

Technically despite what sky will say, we’re technically the best team that’s ever played in this league. We’ve bought a Phoenix to a pigeon race…. 

The painful thing is we really should have been out of distance by the time they equalised…. 

Leeds being one of the leagues better sides will go for the jugular if given a chance, which we gave them. 

It hurts because we all want to be the best, we want to break Reading’s record, we want to be the best team that’s ever been in this league, and we want to win another trophy, trophy’s at any level mean success… 

Despite the doom, I still think we will win the league, and we can still break Readings record but would need a near perfect record, which we’re capable of. 

It would be a desperate shame not to do something great, because we’ve by and large been excellent, and it would somewhat water down how good we’ve been. 

However, despite what a lot of people have suggested, I think it bodes well going forward, because it’s clear Maresca has got what it takes to assemble a squad capable of competing in the PL. 

Forget this now, move on, we’ve got 12 games to amass as many points as we can, and maybe take a PL scalp along the way. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I'm a Leeds fan and yes, we absolutely got lucky.  It's not something I can say often as a Leeds fan but we really did.

But, you're going way OTT in your assessment of the game.  The first half was pretty even.  We had several chances to score, as did you.  Piroe should probably have got one and both Gnonto and Summerville had chances to score when through on goal and made bad choices.

You had a great spell from 50 to 75 mins when you caught us on the break several times and should have scored.  We then completely dominated the last 15/20 minutes in return.

All the chance creation stats were pretty even.  The XG about the same (doesnt factor in the disallowed goal but also doesnt our fluffed 1 on 1 chances). Leeds dominated the ball 60 to 40 percent.  None of that tallies with your assessment of this astonishingly unequal game.

There was something about the flow of it that perhaps skews the perception of how it really went.  You can't airbrush the last 15/20 like it somehow didn't happen because you'd dominated the period before.  The teams took turns to get on top in the second half and you failed to score when you did.  We scored three times with some slices of luck involved.  That was the key difference.

It was a game you could have won with the flow.of it.  You could easily have gone 2 or 3 nil up in the second half.  We could easily have scored 1 or 2 in the first half though.  Nothing happens in isolation though so a great spell in the second half doesn't win you the game and certainly didn't equal an kind of humiliation.  

The one thing you did better than any team we've faced all season, is press our dangerous forward players.  They had no time and that forced us into rushed and bad passes.  When that dropped though, all hell was going to break loose and invariably did.

Seven paragraphs and no mention of the perfectly good goal that was  chalked off 👍🏽 

13 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Having spent the day playing golf with a best buddy and Leeds fan, I’ve finally calmed down enough to pass a comment that isn’t borne out of anger. I thought we were great for 80 minutes. Genuinely great. I’ve been less than blown away by a lot of our football this season, but I thought last  night was the best I’ve seen us in possibly two seasons. But nothing will convince me anytime soon that Daka is a natural goal-scorer. 

He isn’t. But it would’ve been 3-0 without him. I’m very critical of Daka too by the way. He missed an absolute sitter, but his header resulted in the goal. We have to be fair. He wasn’t the reason we lost.

Faes and his deflections resulting in own goals isn’t getting as much flack as it probably deserves. And yes, I’m aware he scored.

Edited by phoneticerror