Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Leeds United (A) 3-1 - Post-Match Thread

Now the dust has settled I think it’s clear to see that we are head and shoulders above anyone else in this league. Enzo was right it was a huge game for them and that proved to be right, for us nothing changes the objective is still the same and I still fully believe we’ll go on to win the league comfortably. We should have won by 3 or 4 we didn’t that’s our own fault nothing to do with them being better than us. 8 wins from the last 12 wins us the league 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I'm a Leeds fan and yes, we absolutely got lucky.  It's not something I can say often as a Leeds fan but we really did.

But, you're going way OTT in your assessment of the game.  The first half was pretty even.  We had several chances to score, as did you.  Piroe should probably have got one and both Gnonto and Summerville had chances to score when through on goal and made bad choices.

You had a great spell from 50 to 75 mins when you caught us on the break several times and should have scored.  We then completely dominated the last 15/20 minutes in return.

All the chance creation stats were pretty even.  The XG about the same (doesnt factor in the disallowed goal but also doesnt our fluffed 1 on 1 chances). Leeds dominated the ball 60 to 40 percent.  None of that tallies with your assessment of this astonishingly unequal game.

There was something about the flow of it that perhaps skews the perception of how it really went.  You can't airbrush the last 15/20 like it somehow didn't happen because you'd dominated the period before.  The teams took turns to get on top in the second half and you failed to score when you did.  We scored three times with some slices of luck involved.  That was the key difference.

It was a game you could have won with the flow.of it.  You could easily have gone 2 or 3 nil up in the second half.  We could easily have scored 1 or 2 in the first half though.  Nothing happens in isolation though so a great spell in the second half doesn't win you the game and certainly didn't equal an kind of humiliation.  

The one thing you did better than any team we've faced all season, is press our dangerous forward players.  They had no time and that forced us into rushed and bad passes.  When that dropped though, all hell was going to break loose and invariably did.

I am honestly racking my brain as to these chances in the first half you had…

I have looked back at extended highlights which show nothing from Leeds first half which is how I remembered it. 

Yes you had a good 10/15 minutes at the end and importantly like you say, took your chances which we didn’t.

But you seems to be rewriting history with that first half!

6 minutes ago, VictorFox said:

Now the dust has settled I think it’s clear to see that we are head and shoulders above anyone else in this league.  

How you have come to that conclusion after the two ganes against Leeds and whatever the permutations were, a 4-1 aggregate loss, needs some serious explaining. 

Head and shoulders better, but lost 4-1 over 180 minutes.  Come on man :D

Just now, Pub breath said:

How you have come to that conclusion after the two ganes against Leeds and whatever the permutations were, a 4-1 aggregate loss, needs some serious explaining. 

Middlesbrough did the double over us does that mean they are also better than us? 

Just now, LCFCJohn said:

I am honestly racking my brain as to these chances in the first half you had…

I have looked back at extended highlights which show nothing from Leeds first half which is how I remembered it. 

Yes you had a good 10/15 minutes at the end and importantly like you say, took your chances which we didn’t.

But you seems to be rewriting history with that first half!

Read the Gaurdian article then.  I just have. They said Piroe should have scored and Gnonto could have scored a hattrick.  Not my words but a journalist 

1 minute ago, Pub breath said:

Luck. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Nothing happens in isolation though so a great spell in the second half doesn't win you the game and certainly didn't equal an kind of humiliation.  

We outclassed you in the context of the game. Not suggesting you didn't have chances, big pressure. Noisy crowd. We got hold of the game within 2 mins. You can even hear it in your crowd of groans watching control in all areas of the pitch. Good performances aren't just attacking. 

The gulf in class - considering it was first v second - was embarrassing.

All academic tho. We ****ed up big time. I was just curious if, in the cold light if day, Leeds fans felt the win was weird too. That interview with those two laughing players at the end suggested that they felt it was obscure 

Read the Gaurdian article then.  I just have. They said Piroe should have scored and Gnonto could have scored a hattrick.  Not my words but a journalist 

A Leeds supporting journalist by any chance?

Im not saying we had loads of chances in the first half by the way. It was probably quite even in terms of balance of play. 

You came forward a few times and we defended solidly in those situations. We never looked like conceding until we did on 80 minutes though. 

Are they presently chasing you down in the league and your nearest rivals?

Not better. "Head and shoulders better".

More points, more goals scored, better goal difference we are head and shoulders above anyone else 

Just now, VictorFox said:

More points, more goals scored, better goal difference we are head and shoulders above anyone else 

Is that all it takes to be head and shoulders?  

Fewer points since August which is when this Leeds team was formed.  The team you see today did not exist in those first five games.  Does that factor?

Fewer points since August which is when this Leeds team was formed.  The team you see today did not exist in those first five games.  Does that factor?

This juggernaut side that drew at Rotherham and lost at Stoke after August

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

This juggernaut side that drew at Rotherham and lost at Stoke after August

Nah.  The one that is properly gelled and just won 9 straight league games averaging nearly 3 goals a game and conceded 2, beating both our nearest rivals 7-1 combined.  That one :)

Edited by Pub breath

3 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

We’ve been the most consistent team in the league all season. You’re on a bit of a winning run which is great for you but that can soon change just look at Southampton 

• Like 1

Just now, Pub breath said:

Nah.  The one that is properly gelled and just won 9 straight league games averaging nearly 3 goals a game and conceded 2, beating both our nearest rivals 7-1 combined.  That one :)

Still nearer 4th then 1st brother having won 9 in a row.......

• Like 3

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

Still nearer 4th then 1st brother having won 9 in a row.......

The statement was that you are "head and shoulders" above anyone in this league.  As this side wasn't formed until the last day of August, that's what's being disputed.  Your gap was formed before then.  Since, we have more points.  Many of your fans also recognise your remaining games are tougher than ours which means they have been easier up to now.

Aye.  So far, you've had a better season but you are demonstrably not head and shoulders the best team.  Sorry but there's just no justification for that comment at this stage.

5 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Dude enjoy your moment. We are the best team in the league by an absolute country mile yet even we lose. 

We are in a bit of a mess, but one more half decent run of form from us and we are up. 

One more wobble from you lot and your ****ed. 

I wouldn't swap. Even tho I feel like absolute shite lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

Care to explain why we can’t discount the last 15 minutes of our match but you can discount an entire 5 games at the start of the season?

Because fewer than half of the team playing now were playing in August.  That seems fair if we are making a comparison of who the best team is.  You know, actually comparing the teams and not a load of players who aren't actually at the club.

Because fewer than half of the team playing now were playing in August.  That seems fair if we are making a comparison of who the best team is.  You know, actually comparing the teams and not a load of players who aren't actually at the club.

And we had a perfectly good goal disallowed, which would have put us 0-2 up against the new team. Away. Your point? 

9 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Pride comes before a fall

two weeks ago, Southampton were unbeaten in 20 games and going to saunter to second place, its a funny old game and your biggest task now is how farke is mentally going to handle the dip when you only win one out of three - it’s coming at some point. it’s football mate. 

Very happy to see this reaction from both. Too long have we seen a softy softy, pat on the back, “it’s ok” approach. That was a horrendous, unprofessional miss from a £16m striker and he should be told so. It’s guys like KDH and Riccy who we must continue to build around. 

High standards which seem to have been lost for so long seem to be coming back into the side. It doesn’t mean Daka got shot when he got back in the dressing room it just means his teammates won’t stand for that incompetence. This sort of thing on the pitch is as much needed as a big group celebration when it goes well. 

• Like 1