Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Are we going to bottle it?

Are we going to bottle it?  

452 members have voted

1. 1. Where are we finishing?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I thought the bottling and spinelessness was a Rodgers thing but it's much deeper than that.

It runs through the very culture of the club now.

The very existence of this thread is sort of the proof of it. It's habitual. It's expected. The fans, the players, we all know it's coming. I'm trying to avoid the Spurs tropes but it's becoming increasingly difficult.

There is something psychologically wrong at this club. It's been the case a good 3 years now. I do think how long we tolerated him for has had an impact. It set a really bad standard.

This side for me is just simply much more talented than pretty much all of the league. When we're challenged though, the red flags appear. The manner of that collapse tonight was an absolute embarrassment and a disgrace.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 3

Last night we missed the opportunity to seal it. A win would have more or less meant that was it. It would have proven that we’re the best team and would have put a big enough gap between us and Leeds to get the job done. 

Now, it’s let Leeds and Southampton back in. It’s also going to undoubtedly put pressure on the players, the heat has been turned up a notch and the neck tied and collars loosened. 

It would be wrong of us to sit here and just wave this off as another “bad day at the office”. Yesterday highlighted fundamental issues in the squad, a complete lack of leadership, and an inability to deal with sustained pressure against the better opponents.

Our biggest problem is that it proves to the rest of the league were beatable, we’ve got to play teams scrapping for survival and for play off places. So, I would suggest now we’re vulnerable to slipping up. 

But, it’s down to the reaction, Bournemouth could be a get out of jail free card, somehow find a result in that game, and it could be the shot of adrenaline we need to then go on a title winning run.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Help me out, how does three deflections equal weak mentality? Are we weak because they upped the pressure? The tempo? :dunno:

The body shape of the defenders face the ball head on, be prepared to get hit by the ball to block it rather than on the half turn shying away from the ball, Huth or Morgan would not defend like that

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 1

I said a while back that the second half of the season would show whether Maresca was a Ranieri (ruthless) or a Rodgers (bottler) in terms of having the ability to see the job through to the end.

Blind faith gets you nowhere. If this guy fails to get us promoted with this group of players, we know which category he will fall into.

Judgment is suspended. The heat is on…

We need to put a run together now to finish this off. If we dont go up as champions it’s a crying shame, Enzo has the best squad in the league - I said yesterday it was naive to say what he said in that press conf and he now looks like a melon after last nights pathetic second half. 

Time to step up 

I'm still in the camp of thinking we win the league but it's so tight. It's an unprecedented top four and no historical data matters this season - you've got four sides posting tallies that would win the league most years. You could get 96 points and come 3rd.

I think we're too good for 75% of this division on most days and that's why I back us to see it through.

But I tell you what if we don't beat QPR I will seriously panic. That sort of game has been the bread and butter, the foundation to our league position, if we stop winning those games routinely we are right in the shit.

There's a lot of people on here that can't deal with disappointment in any measure...... it's bloody embarrassing.

We were pretty good last night but for poor officiating, dreadful finishing and 2 deflected goals, we'd have been runaway winners. 

We bounced back from the 2 November defeats and we'll do it again. 12 games left, 11 against teams we've already beaten. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, trooky said:

If you can't take any positives from last night's game you should not watch football. 

We played Leeds off the park for 70 minutes, disallowed goal changes everything but for 2 horrendous missed chances we win.

Enzo is a fantastic coach and the best thing to happen to the club since the title win, at times last night the football was brilliant.

Here here absolutely, what's the matter with people. 

• Like 1

For 80% of last nigth we clearly outplayed arguably the second best team in the league, who are currently in their best form, at their ground they haven’t lost at all season.

If we were more ruthless and didn’t have poor officiating and bad luck (deflections) then we would have won comfortably.

We’ll be fine. 

• Like 2

Reads this thread, looks at the table.

Reads this thread, looks at the table.

<sighs>

I'd rather we have some blips of form, and our weaknesses are brought to light now, we recognise them, work on them, and bounce back. Especially doing it in a division our team is evidently stronger than. Better doing it now, than going up and  having regular results like last night and last week on our cv.

This team still has a soft underbelly, real pressure and they get turned over but we've not had any steel for a couple seasons now.

It's probably the reason Spurs win nought, having nice, technically gifted players will only get you so far, you need the odd awkward sod in the team, someone the players can lean on and be geed up by on the pitch when things start going wrong or get chewed out by if that is what is needed.

Either that or enough money to buy the very best players going and enough of them for three teams so you can rotate them:ph34r:

We will get promoted at a canter, no need to panic at all.

next season concerns me though, relatively little to spend (allowable loss is £63m for this year due to being in champ unlike other PL clubs who have £105m). 

so we will have to buy extremely well as this squad is no where near good enough. 

I think so yes, this time last week we were 12 points clear, we are now only 6. By the end of March i think we will be 3rd given the tough games coming up.

Reasons i think this are as follows:

1) Injuries and depth - The wilf injury has screwed us, his link up play was so vital, the new Vardy injury - not great when cannon aint all that and daka cannot finish

2) Italian Brendan - Tactics are bewildering at times and if we do go up he will get found out massively, subs are bizarre as well. Often its not even a case of the opposition being better than us......its his style of play that looses us points time and time again.

3) Bottle Jobs - Will be the 3rd time in 5 seasons (not including the relegation even) where from a position of strength we bottle it

9 minutes ago, PrecociousFox93 said:

For 80% of last nigth we clearly outplayed arguably the second best team in the league, who are currently in their best form, at their ground they haven’t lost at all season.

If we were more ruthless and didn’t have poor officiating and bad luck (deflections) then we would have won comfortably.

We’ll be fine. 

Agreed. Relax.

Lads, lads, lads.

You are still going to win the league. You're still the best team in the division! This is just a sticky patch. Before last night you were only a point behind Reading's 106 season after the same number of games. 

And for comparison when we (Wolves) got promoted in 17/18 with the best team in the league we had a similar sticky patch at this exact time of the season where we had 1 win in 5 games and lost to Fulham and Villa in short order! We still won the league by 9 points! And that was with chucking the final game away at Sunderland 0-3 because we were already on the beach. 

Screenshot_2024-02-24-08-33-18-278_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-24-08-31-54-415_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1