Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Luck and it's role in football

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

It all evens itself out over the course of a season

It absolutely doesn't, that's why it's called luck lol. Much like the most stupid saying I'm existence; you make your own luck :facepalm:. The point is that it is totally chance with no probability attached to it.

But we certainly can't be sitting here thinking how unlucky we've been this season. Last night was incredibly unlucky but we've won plenty of games when we haven't been great and things to tend to go your way when you're at the top.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Last night was incredibly unlucky but we've won plenty of games when we haven't been great and things to tend to go your way when you're at the top.

So it pretty much evens itself out then

Would be nice to not have to rely on fortune. 

When you allow shots on the edge of your area, deflections can and ultimately will happen.

We must get better at the dark arts of football by disrupting games by any means necessary when the other team are on top.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deep blue said:

Deflected goals often come when a defender turns his back rather than facing up to, and making a real attempt to block, a shot from an attacker.  In those cases it's not bad luck but very poor technique and football nous on the part of the defender (and I am amazed to see this happen so often with defenders even of supposed Prem quality, and managers not spotting this and picking the defender up on it).

I've noticed this happening more and more.

I suspect it's a product of "modern" football.  In the good old days, a manager would have ripped a player to shreds, if they ever turned their back on a shot.

Their fans outside afterwards were utterly delusional. Yes they beat us, but I was pleased with the response from Middlesbrough and I was surprised Leeds weren’t able to do more. If that’s how Leeds perform for the rest of the season they won’t get automatic promotion.

Not to sound like Maddison from last season, but if we continue like that we’ll be fine. We can’t get too complacent though, and preferably need to take a few more chances than we did v Middlesbrough and Leeds. But at least we are still creating them - I’d be concerned if we weren’t.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Their fans outside afterwards were utterly delusional. Yes they beat us, but I was pleased with the response from Middlesbrough and I was surprised Leeds weren’t able to do more. If that’s how Leeds perform for the rest of the season they won’t get automatic promotion.

Not to sound like Maddison from last season, but if we continue like that we’ll be fine. We can’t get too complacent though, and preferably need to take a few more chances than we did v Middlesbrough and Leeds. But at least we are still creating them - I’d be concerned if we weren’t.

Yeh they are incredibly delusional and in many of their eyes, they've already won the league. As others have said, last night felt a bit like when arsenal beat us back in 2016. I hope their delusion and over celebrating spurs us on the get the job finished and win the league. Whilst promotion is the goal, I'd be sick if them horrible feckers won the title, we'd never hear the end of it. They were crap last night and but for poor officiating, even worse finishing and some incredible good luck on their behalf, we'd have won that comfortably last night. I'm also not concerned as our last 2 performances deserved 6 points. I'd only be concerned if our performances had been as bad as the results.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I've noticed this happening more and more.

I suspect it's a product of "modern" football.  In the good old days, a manager would have ripped a player to shreds, if they ever turned their back on a shot.

Said the same in post match thread.  Need to close quicker and not half turn. Take one for the team

21 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Would be nice to not have to rely on fortune. 

When you allow shots on the edge of your area, deflections can and ultimately will happen.

We must get better at the dark arts of football by disrupting games by any means necessary when the other team are on top.

Have said for seasons now ,we aren't good at breaking a games rythem with niggly fouls