Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CheeseHead

Leicester 5-2 Shrewsbury FACQF 1982

I was there, watching from the family enclosure because like you said, the Shrewsbury fans had been given pen 2. When the third and fourth goals went in for us and after all that had happened; I went so crazy that I was sqealing with joy. I was 15 years old and had seen nothing like it. 

I was exhausted after watching that game. 

• Like 3

My first time on the Kop / Pen 3 as an 11 year old 

It was an incredibly theatrical game ebbing and flowing both ways with the good guys taking the victory and the bad guys skulking off.   

Also in terms of things you notice is the manager Big Jock racing on the pitch to take a look at Youngy after he'd taken a tumble. It didn't look particularly effective the grip he gave his head if I remember rightly. 

Also, remember a woman totalling losing it as she kept shouting 'Do it for Mark'

Up there in probably my top 3 most stirring games I've ever attended in my 45 years of watching us. 

I can feel my heart starting to race just remember the game and picturing the scenes. 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CheeseHead said:

I was a kid in SK3 that day, and just watching the highlights on YT, what amazing memories. Just some things that I had forgotten, or that stood out for me watching those highlights:

-Barry Davies' low-key but appreciative commentary; none of today's scripted nonsense.

-Fans on the pitch when goals were scored.

-Double-decker and North-stand limbs.

-Amongst all the keeper drama, Youngy catching a corner like a seasoned goalie.

-Still attacking like mad when 5-2 up.

-Coaching staff smoking in the dugout.

-Shrewsbury had SK2 that day.

-Chic Bates general thuggery and intimidation, including of course the foot-up straight-leg challenge on Wallington. Don't think he even got booked.

-The inevitable and joyous pitch invasion at the final whistle.

What an emotional rollercoaster of a game! I suppose there aren't many on FT who were there that day.

I was in SK3, too, that day 😊. Amazing game. 

Was inspired to watch this because of this post so dropped the clip here. Was a little bit rougher than what we get now, eh? Never watched this before.

I had heard about this game because my dad was there. Vague memories of him coming home after it, and less vague memories of him telling me about it every time we started to get anywhere in the cup. Thanks @CheeseHead for prompting me to look this up (and also making me miss Filbert Street)

• Like 1

The most amazing football match I've ever had the privilege of attending.

It had everything.   Drama, excitement, goals, comebacks, injuries, passionate crowd, pitch invasions.   You name it.   And for an FA Cup Quarter Final, when the FA Cup still really meant something.

After we'd gone 2-1 down and lost our goalie, everything seemed lost.    Bear in mind, that Shrewsbury after conceding an early goal, were on top and all over us anyway, even before Wallington went off.   Then we charged forward like the cavalry, and forced them into conceding a crazy own goal.   The place went absolutely mental.   And I mean, the whole ground.  Everyone.

The weird thing I remember most was this ... at half time, the buzz around the ground never died down.   Everyone just kept on talking about the amazing half, and the equalizer.   You had 29,000 people everyone talking constantly to the person next to them for 10-15 minutes.   To this day, I've never heard a "buzz" like that last for so long.

Anyway, more injuries, goalie swaps and goals in the 2nd half.   Absolutely amazing.      Pitch invasion at the end.   Singing "Wem-ber-ley Wem-ber-ley" on the pitch in front of SK3/SK4.  (who were behind fences, so couldn't get on the pitch!)

What a day.   :scarf:

• Like 1

One of those games that forever live in the memory, and yes, It was there too.

There was an amazing atmosphere, and Ii was an amazing game. 

They wouldn't have scored their goals if Bates hadn't nobbled Wallington.

He should have come off straight the way, but when he did come off, and we were 2-1 down, I thought we were done.

It wasn't shown in the highlights, and yet I'm sure Lynex made a decent save, during his brief stint in goal.

I was in pen 4 on the day, and when we scored the 5th, a guy next to me was shouting "we've done it, we've done it".

I honestly thought we were going to go on and win the Cup.

Even though we were drawn to play Tottenham in the semi, and being in the second division, we were massive underdogs, i was convinced we were going to win, because we had beaten the same Tottenham home and away, the season before when we were relegated.

As it happened, we really didn't turn up on the day, and it was a bit of a turgid game as I remember.

I also think that the Cup run cost us promotion, because although in a good position in the league,  we were playing catch up in terms of games and points, by the time we got knocked out.

They were happy days though, when the FA Cup was the thing you most wanted to win.

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 3

I was 9 or 10 at the time of this match and my dad used to work at William Caple’s & Co printing firm near Humberstone Gate. We were in the car park at the time of the match and you could hear the ground from there during this match. I also remember the buzz in the town before the semi final against Spurs and a banner that said ‘Foxes eat Cockerels’. Shame about the Ian Wilson own goal. I think this was the year I was became a real fan.  

I was in SK3 (I really was!) standing towards the front beyond the Double-Decker overhang so getting soaked. The lad standing on one side of me was wearing a full face motorcycle helmet presumably to keep the rain off his head. No idea who is was but by the end we had arms around each other jumping around like loonies. 

Oh yeah, and we gave Chic Bates dogs abuse. Think we scared the shite out of the Shrews fans on their big day out. 

My Dad was there…. I wasn’t 😔 (a bit too young)

Being stood in the kop for games was really to behold…. A mile away from today’s sanitised match day experience…. Could be a little intimidating at times too!

2 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Fans and media were so much less reactionary back then, we were relegated the season before, Wallace kept his job and fans shrugged their shoulders and got on with it.

I used to think that Jock gave God advise back in the day - To say I loved the man was an understatement - totally worshiped him as a young kid 

When he p*ssed off the Motherwell I couldn't believe it and thought it must have been the board because surely he loved us as much as I loved him 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DoveValleyFox said:

I was there, watching from the family enclosure because like you said, the Shrewsbury fans had been given pen 2. When the third and fourth goals went in for us and after all that had happened; I went so crazy that I was sqealing with joy. I was 15 years old and had seen nothing like it. 

I was exhausted after watching that game. 

Ditto. And, for some reason, I was wearing a charity shop sheepskin coat. It ranks as one of my most bizarre fashion choices - only finishing when someone had the good grace to steal it at a party. 

Celebrating on the pitch was ace. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I was in SK3 (I really was!) standing towards the front beyond the Double-Decker overhang so getting soaked. The lad standing on one side of me was wearing a full face motorcycle helmet presumably to keep the rain off his head. No idea who is was but by the end we had arms around each other jumping around like loonies. 

Oh yeah, and we gave Chic Bates dogs abuse. Think we scared the shite out of the Shrews fans on their big day out. 

I'm not glorifying anything but if the Pen 3 fence had have come down after Chic B*stard Bates (full name) had purposely studded Wallington they would have mullered 

3 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Just watched a tiny bit of the clip. Didn’t realise that Jim Melrose played alongside Lineker. Thought they were different times. Melrose used to live on the same street as me when I was even younger than 9. Pits Avenue in Braunstone. 

Anyone who has read Alan Youngs book will know how much he despised Melrose.

I reckon it was because Melrose took his childhood mate Martin Hendersons place.

He certainly doesn't have a good word to say about him, whatever the reason.

I liked Melrose personally as a player, and was fuming when Milne swapped him for Tommy English.

• Like 1