Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CheeseHead

Leicester 5-2 Shrewsbury FACQF 1982

7 hours ago, Vardesque said:

Was there anything n Pen 3 also. 
Nothing like it before or since , although for atmosphere Seville was pretty special. 

4 hours ago, Bob666 said:

I was also in the Double Decker - always enjoyed the roar from the Kop as a youngster.  This was an epic match / hair raised on the back of your neck stuff.  No one leaving on 80 mins :ph34r:

It's a pity the semi at Villa went all pear shape.

3 hours ago, Jacafox said:

I was in Pen 3, amazing game, easily in my list of the top 5 most memorable City matches. 

2 hours ago, marcymarc666 said:

I was there in the main staind at the front of them standing area, around 15yrs old at the time. What I was witnessing just seemed unreal, I think it's a one off game in the history of English football, having three keepers , two of them our forwards ! and the nature of us coming back from what looked like a disaster. Definitely  in my top ten of Leicester's greatest games.

7 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Yes Seville is the other one to spring to mind 

I think we should do a Pen 3 re-enactment - I remember Pen 3 going absolutely mental 

For sheer manic celebrations and utter joyous bewilderment, I would say my top matches are:

Shrewsbury FACQF 1982

Cambridge (H) Play-off SF 2L 1992

Swindon - Wembley Play-off final 1993

Seville (H) CL R16 2017

Palace - Wembley Play-off final 1996

Liverpool (H) PL 2015/16

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheeseHead said:

For sheer manic celebrations and utter joyous bewilderment, I would say my top matches are:

Shrewsbury FACQF 1982

Cambridge (H) Play-off SF 2L 1992

Swindon - Wembley Play-off final 1993

Seville (H) CL R16 2017

Palace - Wembley Play-off final 1996

Liverpool (H) PL 2015/16

The Swindon final was just heartbreaking, but beating Derby in playoffs was the only time I've cried tears of joy at a football game. Just waiting for England to win the World Cup !

Guest leatherhead32

i was at game v shrews qf as a teenager , but 19 year later i had some 30 something telling me like i was 6 the way the game was ie we won 53 after being 3 down , lineker got a hat trick on his debut after coming on us sub for gk wallington and more made up stuff i couldn't be bothered to put him right on . ah well he was happy so fair play.   

Young coming back on and the game restarting. Then the ref blowing up and signalling to youngy. Everyone thinking he had been sent off. But he walk over to lynex and took the keepers Jersey from him and back in goal.

My mate said at half time we would win 5-3 everyone around us in pen 3 fell about laughing.

I was on the pitch before the game too, taking part in an inter-school penalty competition.

We were all given free tickets to the game, right up in the seats of the main stand, the one and only time I was ever up there. It was such a good game and atmosphere that I was slightly peeved that I wasn't down in Pen 4 with my mates that I usually went with. Though not as peeved as I was with my mum who threw away my program of the game when we moved house a few months later! 

The only disappointment that day ... was that the highlights didn't show after the equalising 2-2 goal, some idiot totally losing it, running out of the Filbert Street end, getting as far as the halfway line, sinking to his knees, waving his blue and white scarf.   :scarf:

He apologised to his mum afterwards, who was disbelievingly shaking her head!

On 26/02/2024 at 00:12, CheeseHead said:

I was a kid in SK3 that day, and just watching the highlights on YT, what amazing memories. Just some things that I had forgotten, or that stood out for me watching those highlights:

-Barry Davies' low-key but appreciative commentary; none of today's scripted nonsense.

-Fans on the pitch when goals were scored.

-Double-decker and North-stand limbs.

-Amongst all the keeper drama, Youngy catching a corner like a seasoned goalie.

-Still attacking like mad when 5-2 up.

-Coaching staff smoking in the dugout.

-Shrewsbury had SK2 that day.

-Chic Bates general thuggery and intimidation, including of course the foot-up straight-leg challenge on Wallington. Don't think he even got booked.

-The inevitable and joyous pitch invasion at the final whistle.

What an emotional rollercoaster of a game! I suppose there aren't many on FT who were there that day.

I was there that day in Main stand enclosure.......still one of the greatest games ive ever seen..

Sometimes im not sure if its just my fading memory over-embelleshing how good that day was.......but then i read this post and i realise that i am not alone in my thoughts and it was every bit as good as i remember!!

One thing you dont mention is that it was absolutely p***ing down with rain and everyone in MSE got absolutely soaked as it was completely uncovered.....but i doubt anyone cared!!

Also remember there being about 40,000 fans in the main stand enclosure that day (at least, it felt that way!!)......it was pre-Hillsborough days and we could barely move and every time we scored, you just got "swept away" off your feet and ended up about 20 yards further away from where you started.  All added to the fun at that time.....but could never happen again now due to H&S following the terrible events that followed at Hillsborough.

23 hours ago, sylofox said:

Young coming back on and the game restarting. Then the ref blowing up and signalling to youngy. Everyone thinking he had been sent off. But he walk over to lynex and took the keepers Jersey from him and back in goal.

My mate said at half time we would win 5-3 everyone around us in pen 3 fell about laughing.

He thought they'd score again - disloyal bugger 

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I was there that day in Main stand enclosure.......still one of the greatest games ive ever seen..

Sometimes im not sure if its just my fading memory over-embelleshing how good that day was.......but then i read this post and i realise that i am not alone in my thoughts and it was every bit as good as i remember!!

We football fans often exaggerate far too often.   Best ever.   Worst ever.   Every few years.   But for once, Shrewsbury 1982 is no exaggeration.

It wasn't the most important game; nor necessarily the best performance.   But it was simply one of the most amazing games you'd witnessed and one that rightly entered folklore.

When we left Filbert Street, I seem to remember a special edition match program that had lots of people's favourite games at the old ground.   Apart from a few glorious matches like Oxford 1-0 (1991), Cambridge 5-0 (1992), Sunderland 5-2 (2000) ... 3 games that kept being mentioned time and time again for excitement were:

Man City        4-3  FA Cup 4th round replay  (1968)
   Shrewsbury Town   5-2  FA Cup Quarter Final  (1982)
   Arsenal         3-3  Premier League  (1997)

Each of these felt like a once-in-a-generation occasion, when you left the ground thinking "wow, I've just witnessed something special".

There have obviously been lots of other great matches ... and a few good ones at the new ground too.     But for sheer importance, excitement, mayhem, pandemonium, and whatever other words you want to use ... I think Shrewsbury Town is in the top few of all time.

Edited by worth_the_wait